A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone still trying to 'hack' their A8? Curious what happened with OASIS and TheBrit talking to them

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone still trying to 'hack' their A8? Curious what happened with OASIS and TheBrit talking to them

By the way, decided not to lower the car, thought it a bad idea since roads are fairly bumpy here, and I dont need the car to bottom out.

Other news, Jan 6th, car's getting new trunk latch servo; all will be well again.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas to you all: Pile on those calories!
Old 12-19-2004, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I "hacked" mine in Manhattan today. Twelve passengers

and $400.00 later.................!!! LOL
Old 12-20-2004, 01:13 AM

Amazing, one reply, and he's taking the mickey...Thanks mate.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:29 AM
Rest In Peace

Default 10-12k Euros should source a development kit

once you've signed the relevant Oasis NDAs and contracts.

I think MMI can manage up to 15 'CDs' with up to 99 tracks per CD, so theoretically, a 1485 track system could be produced without requiring Audi's involvement to recode MMI, but I personally wouldn't like scrolling through 99 tracks with the MMI wheel.

A lot of the vehicle systems are still on the CAN or LIN bus, so I would hope to see development for those start to happen when more D3s are out of warranty and in the hands of owners open to a little experimentation.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:05 AM

Default Reason why I'm asking, is that I want to hook up the iPod (as in BMW) through the connection that

would ordinarily connect the secondary cd-exchanger.

There is already such a system for new Mercedes cars with MOST networks being developed by a company in the US.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default iceLink for Audi vehicles with MOST fiber optic systems...

I spoke with an engineer at Dension about getting the iceLink for Audi vehicles with MOST and he said that after they finish the Mercedes product, they will likely start working on getting a version to work for Audi... he said that his boss has a new '05 A6 and he wants it to work ASAP.

Based on our conversation, I would guess that we may see a product by late Spring or Summer '05. They are pricing the Mercedes version at $399 and others at $229 so I would expect the Audi version would have a similar price range. Keep in mind that the majority of the cost is for the fiber optic interface to MOST.

Even though this information is unofficial, this is great news for those of us with iPods that are feeling left out right now.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:46 AM

Default Thank you very much for that insider info Ringmeister. Will this iPod interface require a lot in the

way of modifying the car's electronics?
Old 12-20-2004, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No, any reputable car audio installer should be able to handle it.

Keep in mind that you will need to have available a set of pre-wired MOST connections in the car. I do not have Bentley manuals for the D3 platform so I do not know how many extra connections their are and where they are located.

Obviously if you are not going to install a sat radio, you could use the pair of connections that are located in the trunk. We don't have the TV Tuner in North America but I don't know if the connections are still there in the trunk or if Audi decided to leave them out. Maybe someone else who has access to the manuals can shed some light on this issue?
Old 12-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Rest In Peace

Default There are two CD changer slots in the glove box

So there should be two sets of MOST connectors in there too.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:05 PM

Yep, and since I want to be able to take the iPod out easily, the glovebox would be the best place.

Quick Reply: Anyone still trying to 'hack' their A8? Curious what happened with OASIS and TheBrit talking to them