A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Obnoxious clicking noise under dash at 7 minute interval

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obnoxious clicking noise under dash at 7 minute interval

I have a 2001 A8L with 24000 miles and have had nearly flawless performance from my car during the last 3.5 years. Over the past few months, a loud clicking noise has developed under the dash, seemingly localized to the the right side. About 4-6 loud clicks occur almost precisely on a seven minute interval. I believe the noise is related to some aspect of the ventilation, climate control system. Often (but not always)the noise will occur after the car is started, and when the fan and climate control system first engage. Regardless, once underway the clicking will begin within the next several minutes and then continue throughout the drive every 7 minutes. I have tried to have the Audi dealership look at it twice but they have essentially dismissed the problem. I even made a tape recording of the noise but I don't believe they actually listened to it. I don't need to indicate to the readers of this forum how annoying a noise like this is in such a high quality, low noise interior environment of the A8. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and, if so, what was it and how was it rectified? Thanks to all for your consideration.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Obnoxious clicking noise under dash at 7 minute interval

I haven't addressed it, but I do have it. It sounds like duelling relays clicking merrily away back and forth somewhere in the central dash region near the climate controls. I've tried AC on and off, fan on/off stero on and off....no change.

I've got a box with control arms and an odometer a few thou under 90K so, I've got a couple of other projects to attend to first.

Good luck with it and let me know what you discover.

Brian C.
2000 A8
Old 09-25-2004, 02:02 PM

Default You are spot on.

It's most likely the motor for one of the flaps. In the facelift cars they increased power on the motor actuator by ~ 1.6V, thus also applying more force on the motor and flap. It's actuated every 7 minutes (16 pulses) to hold the flap securely closed. What probably has happened is some gears have worn out, causing the clicking noises.

Here's an excerpt of the manual:

<i>

Replace the control motor if it emits cracking or rattling noises at regular intervals (approx. every 7 min.).
- These noises are emitted from the control motor gearing when the control motor is actuated by the -E87.
- The control motor is actuated to hold the flap/motor securely at a stop limit.
- To determine which control motor is causing the noises, the various control motors must be connected in sequence (using the test box V.A.G 1598 and wires from the adapter set V.A.G 1594A) to the 12 V vehicle voltage (positive socket "E5" and negative socket "E9") until each control motor has reached a stop limit. The control motor is moved to the other stop limit by swapping over positive and negative.</i>

HTH
Old 09-25-2004, 03:30 PM

I'm truly amazed by the diagnostics ability of this forum
Old 09-25-2004, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

It is amazaing isn't it
Old 09-25-2004, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Now .. since the techs at the dealership dismiss this, are they evil or just stupid? Ask them that.

Are they purposely blowing you off or are they truly clueless about common tech bulletins for their Tier 1 (semi)Flagship vehicle?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

It is awesome, but surprised the dealership didn't know what Sven knew!
Old 09-26-2004, 06:48 AM

Difference between an owner of an A8, and simply a worker?
Old 09-26-2004, 07:30 AM
Elder Member

Default Difference between an Audi owner and an Audi employee?

And a sad commentary.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Difference between an owner of an A8, and simply a worker?

They are not charging people 80 to 100 USD per hour for the services of a simple worker. When you bill your technicians as "highly trained in the complex and advanced workings of the Audi A8" and then they don't even know what's in the tech bulletins, that is not just sad. That is BS.

Quick Reply: Obnoxious clicking noise under dash at 7 minute interval