A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering problems (noise).....

Old 05-10-2004, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering problems (noise).....

Was out this weekend with the wife shopping, doing a lot of low speed K turns in order to park on the street at various shops and noticed a very loud noise coming from my power steering unit. I have in the past had some trouble on cold mornings just as I started my car. The power steering would be out for a very short time (seconds) then would kick in. I had similar problems with my older GM products (caddy' & olds). I am guessing that my power steering unit is going bad. It was very loud yesterday and the day before. I can not hear it too much from outside the car but inside it is rather noisy. Has anyone had any similar problems? Is there something that I can put into the PWR steering fluid that will help. There doesn't seem to be any leaking and the operation seems to be very smooth with no breaks in power. The sound is very loud.

G. Hart
Old 05-10-2004, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Maybe try flushing the fluid and cleaning the strainer

I'm sure there is a little mesh strainer somewhere in the system.....you might want to find it and make sure it's not clogged causing pressure drop.....and drain the resevoir once or twice and fill it with new fluid....

The old cars had strainers and a lot more problems....

I would look in the Bently to figure out where the strainer is.

pw
Old 05-10-2004, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default No Bentley....Could you post?

I looked at the fluid and it didn't look dirty. I believe there was a strainer in the reservoir but will look later today. Also would you be able to send me a pic of the Bentley? Thanks will try flushing the reservoir today. Is there a history of power steering units going bad?

G. Hart
Old 05-10-2004, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Could also be a loose hose/fitting on the inlet side of the pump....

causing air to be ingested into the pump, making the noise you describe. Look for any signs of leaks, check tightness on all fittings, and flush the fluid per Paul's instructions. If this fails, you may have a bad pump :-(
Old 05-10-2004, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Power Steering problems (noise).....

I have the same "groan" noise too from the PS. A 2001 A8L w/75k miles. It doesn't happen all the time, but seems to come from the steering column and on hot days. No leaks to report, but seems to be a "fluke" noise...
Old 05-12-2004, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes...that is what I thought as well....

I think the noise is coming from the steering column not the unit itself. The unit is operating perfectly and the noise is not heard outside the car. I noticed it when the temperature reached 80+ outside. I wonder if this problem stems from components (plastics) in the column expanding from the heat. Maybe some lubricant could solve the problem. Any thoughts...?

G. Hart