A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surround camera Vs All wheel steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I find the parking camera view almost worthless. The main overhead camera view is not zoomed in enough for me to see the gap between the wheels and curb, at least not with the precision that I want. I like to park very close to the curb and I just can't see it well enough on the screen.
And I don't like having to fumble with the display screen to switch views while I'm trying to park. The car does a very poor job of predicting which camera view you need. For example, when pulling into a perpendicular space it defaults to the front corner view which is not good for showing how close your front bumper is to the curb to wall. It's just easier to look through the side mirror and skip all the screen press commands to find the view that actually helps you at that moment in time.
The following users liked this post:
Faddy (01-13-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
I find the parking camera view almost worthless. The main overhead camera view is not zoomed in enough for me to see the gap between the wheels and curb, at least not with the precision that I want. I like to park very close to the curb and I just can't see it well enough on the screen.
And I don't like having to fumble with the display screen to switch views while I'm trying to park. The car does a very poor job of predicting which camera view you need. For example, when pulling into a perpendicular space it defaults to the front corner view which is not good for showing how close your front bumper is to the curb to wall. It's just easier to look through the side mirror and skip all the screen press commands to find the view that actually helps you at that moment in time.
There's a mode you can select from those icons on the bottom that shows exactly where front and rear wheels are with respect to the curb. Pretty useful actually.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, I realize that but when you are trying to quickly parallel park a long wheelbase sedan in a tight city parking space with traffic attempting to either cut around you or steal your space, the last thing I want to do is mess with touch screen controls. I end up just using my side mirror that tilts down automatically in reverse. The car should be able to predict which camera view is useful and switch to it automatically. BMW and Mercedes do a better job with this. My S8 never seems to be in the best camera view for the situation, be it parallel or straight in parking spaces. My 2020 M5 did a much better job at detecting the parking scenario and switching up the cam view automatically, as did a 2023 S580 that I drove for a couple months prior to getting my S8.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 01-14-2024 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-14-2024, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, I realize that but when you are trying to quickly parallel park a long wheelbase sedan in a tight city parking space with traffic attempting to either cut around you or steal your space, the last thing I want to do is mess with touch screen controls. I end up just using my side mirror that tilts down automatically in reverse. The car should be able to predict which camera view is useful and switch to it automatically. BMW and Mercedes do a better job with this. My S8 never seems to be in the best camera view for the situation, be it parallel or straight in parking spaces. My 2020 M5 did a much better job at detecting the parking scenario and switching up the cam view automatically, as did a 2023 S580 that I drove for a couple months prior to getting my S8.
That would be ideal! but haven't seen any car do it properly. Btw, how do you get the mirror to tilt down in reverse? I haven't been able to figure out how to do it on my 23 A8
Old 01-14-2024, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsrs
…Btw, how do you get the mirror to tilt down in reverse? I haven't been able to figure out how to do it on my 23 A8
Side mirror control **** set to upper r/h position, as shown in below below pic.

The following 3 users liked this post by derfA8L:
A8bil (01-14-2024), mattsrs (01-14-2024), S8RST (01-28-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

While you are parked, turn the side mirror control **** to the 1 o'clock position. Put the car in reverse and hold the brake. While holding the car in reverse, adjust the side view mirror down and inward until you can see your tires. Put the car back in park.
From that point, just leave the control **** in the 1' o'clock position and whenever the car is in reverse the side mirror will tilt down and in. It returns back once you drive away. It's essentially like 2 memory positions, one for drive and one for reverse.
But they only work when the control selector **** is controlling the passenger mirror.
The following 4 users liked this post by subterFUSE:
A8bil (01-14-2024), Faddy (01-15-2024), mattsrs (01-14-2024), Torque450 (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 126 Likes on 97 Posts

I learn a new thing everyday!
Old 01-14-2024, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

While you are parked, turn the side mirror control **** to the 1 o'clock position. Put the car in reverse and hold the brake. While holding the car in reverse, adjust the side view mirror down and inward until you can see your tires. Put the car back in park.
From that point, just leave the control **** in the 1' o'clock position and whenever the car is in reverse the side mirror will tilt down and in. It returns back once you drive away. It's essentially like 2 memory positions, one for drive and one for reverse.
But they only work when the control selector **** is controlling the passenger mirror.
Originally Posted by derfA8L
Side mirror control **** set to upper r/h position, as shown in below below pic.

Thank you so much!
Old 01-14-2024, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsrs
Thank you so much!
👍
Old 01-15-2024, 01:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque450
​​​​​I got mine in November. I couldn't stretch past a 2021 model, but there are some UK 'bargains' in 2023 registered cars, % wise. Eg. £85k cars at £55k.
Also - buy from Audi with a manufacturer's or Approved Used Audi warranty to give you protection from the BSG issue (see various threads).
Its surprising how few "manufacturer-approved" A8s are out there with AWS. very rare option, it seems, compared to the surround-view cameras. Surprisingly, one of the better offers is on a couple of 2020 S8s, which have AWS as standard along with predictive suspension. A couple are available for around 50k Maybe I should go for the 2020 S8!

Quick Reply: Surround camera Vs All wheel steering