A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change, extract vs drain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2023, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Oil change, extract vs drain?

I know Audi service departments pull and fill the oil from the top during an oil change, does anyone dyi by draining from the bottom?

Are there any drawbacks doing it this way on a D5 base or an S8?
Thnx
Old 07-01-2023, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

So I have done both by myself. My dealership will also do both, though my master tech prefers to drain using the oil plug at the bottom so I let him do his thing.

Edited: see below. V8 is gravity drain only

Last edited by angrypengu; 07-02-2023 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-01-2023, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 126 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Drain ONLY

Per the EA825 SSP, link in my post which is on page two of this forum, extraction is not recommended. Drain only.

EA825 SSP

*edited* now with Link to SSP. Maintenance is in last few pages.

Last edited by KK22; 07-01-2023 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When comparing oil extraction versus draining from the plug for your first-time oil change on the Q5, extraction offers convenience but may have some downsides. While extraction is simpler, it might not remove all the sediment that settles at the bottom of the oil pan, potentially leaving contaminants behind. Considering factors like the Industrial extraction system design and the specific maintenance needs of your vehicle, it's advisable to consult the owner's manual or a trusted mechanic to make an informed decision.
Old 04-19-2024, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kenethcox
When comparing oil extraction versus draining from the plug for your first-time oil change on the Q5, extraction offers convenience but may have some downsides. While extraction is simpler, it might not remove all the sediment that settles at the bottom of the oil pan, potentially leaving contaminants behind. Considering factors like the Industrial extraction system design and the specific maintenance needs of your vehicle, it's advisable to consult the owner's manual or a trusted mechanic to make an informed decision.
It also depends on the design of the sump. For certain Mercedes engines, the mechanic's manual actually says to extract vs drain. That said, on the EA839 engine, I've had both done (by the dealer since both are allowed on the V6). Based on my n=5 data points thus far, draining gets out more oil, yes but probably only by about 100-200ml.
Old 04-19-2024, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Can anybody explain me why extraction not permitted on V8 engine ? I did it twice already using this method and don't understand why factory says no.
Old 04-19-2024, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by aeggroup
Can anybody explain me why extraction not permitted on V8 engine ? I did it twice already using this method and don't understand why factory says no.
It's probably due to the shape of the sump. For example, if the lowest point the extractor can reach is X, but the drain plug is X - 4cm as an example, well...that's a problem.
Old 04-19-2024, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
It's probably due to the shape of the sump. For example, if the lowest point the extractor can reach is X, but the drain plug is X - 4cm as an example, well...that's a problem.
Thanks angry. Yes, that seems to be the case. My engine oil capacity is 10 quarts, but I was never able to extract more than about 9,5.
On the other hand I don't see any issue in it. I change the oil twice a year - April and October, so the remaining 0,5 quart is never getting "old" anyway ..lol.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by aeggroup
Thanks angry. Yes, that seems to be the case. My engine oil capacity is 10 quarts, but I was never able to extract more than about 9,5.
On the other hand I don't see any issue in it. I change the oil twice a year - April and October, so the remaining 0,5 quart is never getting "old" anyway ..lol.
I mean you could also extract as much of the oil as you can, add in a quart, extract out what you have left etc. It's not perfect, but I doubt the guy making $12/hour at the dealership doing an oil change cares either.

I'm extremely grateful to the mechanic who works on my car (dealership person). I know most people won't find competent people who care about doing a good job though

The fact that you're doing an oil change twice a year completely negates the downsides of oil extraction, IMHO.

I absolutely *hate* how extended warranty forces me to do all work at the dealer but hey, only 6 more years left before I can do my own oil changes (I love it!). My mechanic is top notch but I love working on my car.
The following 2 users liked this post by angrypengu:
KK22 (04-20-2024), MorganMay (04-20-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kenethcox
But if I drive the car to the dealership, it sits for a bit before it gets driven into the bay, isn't most of the sediment going to be in the suspension that is made when the oil is moved around? I would agree it is a problem if you let the particles settle say for a few days with the car on the rack before you do the extraction. So as long as the oil is warm, I THINK that life is good. Take it for a short drive around the block since the warmer oil will flow better anyways.

Quick Reply: Oil change, extract vs drain?