A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical error

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Good news update!!--My local dealer called this morning to let me know they'd received a shipment of 4 Continental 48v belt starter/generators this morning. One of them is for my 2021 S8. I had stopped by the dealership yesterday and spoke with one of the service advisors and the parts dept. about any projected arrival timing. They showed me the status of this part on their system monitor throughout the eastern U.S. None were designated for our area as of yesterday morning. I left there yesterday feeling like there was no hope they'd be able to get one of these units for my Audi for weeks or months to come. When I got the call early this morning that 4 of them arrived today, I was shocked. I was told that Audi called them yesterday afternoon and wanted to know how many new units they needed and asked for the VIN's and owner information. With no promises made or even an indication of what was going to happen, 4 new units showed up this morning with one of them designated for my car. It'll be installed next week!

Further interesting information---These new units of the same build design...no improvements/no re-design. Audi is simply sending out new units to replace known bad ones. Continental has not solved the issue yet so all of their production is still of the faulty design. Newly produced 2023 Audi's are receiving the same potentially faulty starter/generators which is why the TSB was extended to cover 2023 models. As part of their "solution" for owners, Audi has announced an extended warranty for this problem (U56) for 7 years/unlimited mileage. They are most likely going to issue a recall for every vehicle that has the current unit so they can replace it with the new version of this Continental product--but not until the new version is fully in production. It's anyone's guess as to when that could happen.

After next Thursday, I'll be able to drive my Audi again but will need to be on the alert for that group of codes at startup that tells me not to drive it if the new alternator/generators fails.

Last edited by gb4.2; 02-08-2023 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Clarification in last sentence
The following 8 users liked this post by gb4.2:
ajmilan (02-08-2023), JSakaBuck (02-08-2023), KK22 (02-07-2023), MorganMay (02-07-2023), nashdm2 (02-07-2023), Nice VW (03-13-2023), pcc125 (02-08-2023), Wagoner (10-17-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-07-2023, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Congrats, good news!

And bad news for the longer term solution.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gb4.2
Good news update!!--My local dealer called this morning to let me know they'd received a shipment of 4 Continental 48v belt starter/generators this morning. One of them is for my 2021 S8. I had stopped by the dealership yesterday and spoke with one of the service advisors and the parts dept. about any projected arrival timing. They showed me the status of this part on their system monitor throughout the eastern U.S. None were designated for our area as of yesterday morning. I left there yesterday feeling like there was no hope they'd be able to get one of these units for my Audi for weeks or months to come. When I got the call early this morning that 4 of them arrived today, I was shocked. I was told that Audi called them yesterday afternoon and wanted to know how many new units they needed and asked for the VIN's and owner information. With no promises made or even an indication of what was going to happen, 4 new units showed up this morning with one of them designated for my car. It'll be installed next week!

Further interesting information---These new units of the same build design...no improvements/no re-design. Audi is simply sending out new units to replace known bad ones. Continental has not solved the issue yet so all of their production is still of the faulty design. Newly produced 2023 Audi's are receiving the same potentially faulty starter/generators which is why the TSB was extended to cover 2023 models. As part of their "solution" for owners, Audi has announced an extended warranty for this problem (U56) for 7 years/unlimited mileage. They are most likely going to issue a recall for every vehicle that has the current unit so they can replace it with the new version of this Continental product--but not until the new version is fully in production. It's anyone's guess as to when that could happen.

After next Thursday, I'll be able to drive my Audi again but will need to be on the alert for that group of codes at startup that tells me not to drive it if the new alternator/generators fails.
Wait really?? So I got the same call. My car will be ready on Monday.

But I had no clue about the long term thing...holy cow. That is I teresting as hell will ask more about that
The following users liked this post:
MorganMay (02-09-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

But I had no clue about the long term thing...holy cow. That is I teresting as hell will ask more about that
Old 02-08-2023, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MVoorhees

Glad to hear your Audi will be back on the road on Monday. The long term thing is interesting as hell and means many thousands of Audi owners will continue to have the potential to be stranded by the failure of the 48v belt starter/generator in their so-equipped 2018-2023 vehicles listed in the most recent TSB for this issue (27 22 2058831/5 dated 9/27/2022). And, unfortunately, it doesn't end with getting a new unit since they're no different. And any new 2023 with this 48v system on the dealer lot, at port, in transit, being produced now will have the same problematic Continental unit installed in it. This is a HUGE problem for Audi and its customers. I can't even imagine how long this issue will take to be fully corrected...with new, redesigned units installed in every vehicle listed in the TSB. It applies to every VIN. No exceptions. (The TSB is attached for reference.) The specific warranty extension of 7 years/unlimited mileage for this unit replacement "helps" cost-wise but does nothing to take the worry out of every time we start one of these vehicles and then focus on the main display to, hopefully, not see the cascade of warnings to shut down the vehicle!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AUDI-MC-10222114-0001.pdf (238.0 KB, 110 views)
Old 02-08-2023, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad to hear your Audi will be back on the road on Monday. The long term thing is interesting as hell and means many thousands of Audi owners will continue to have the potential to be stranded by the failure of the 48v belt starter/generator in their so-equipped 2018-2023 vehicles listed in the most recent TSB for this issue (27 22 2058831/5 dated 9/27/2022). And, unfortunately, it doesn't end with getting a new unit since they're no different. And any new 2023 with this 48v system on the dealer lot, at port, in transit, being produced now will have the same problematic Continental unit installed in it. This is a HUGE problem for Audi and its customers. I can't even imagine how long this issue will take to be fully corrected...with new, redesigned units installed in every vehicle listed in the TSB. It applies to every VIN. No exceptions. (The TSB is attached for reference.) The specific warranty extension of 7 years/unlimited mileage for this unit replacement "helps" cost-wise but does nothing to take the worry out of every time we start one of these vehicles and then focus on the main display to, hopefully, not see the cascade of warnings to shut down the vehicle!

I am not seeing anything stating the extended warranty for this part to 7 years anywhere. Can you point me in the right direction? I did not see it in the TSB.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gdurhamski
I am not seeing anything stating the extended warranty for this part to 7 years anywhere. Can you point me in the right direction? I did not see it in the TSB.
It's not in the TSB as the TSB's date of issue was 9/2022 and the 7 year/unlimited mileage extended warranty for this part was just recently issued by Audi with a reference of "U56".

Have your dealer view your VIN in Audi's system; there's a "Warranty" section that should show "U56-STARTER-ALT EXT 7/UNLIM US/CAN". I just had my service manager pull this up for my vehicle and he sent me a screen shot of it---attached for your reference.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2021 S8 Warranty-020923.pdf (68.3 KB, 102 views)
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (02-13-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Thanks

Thank you! Much appreciated.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gdurhamski
Thank you! Much appreciated.
You're very welcome!
Old 02-10-2023, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

I m being drived to the dealer to pick my car up right now. I genuinely haven't been this excited in a long time. I am giddy.

Plus I am getting rental reimbursement for 102 rental days 🙄
The following 7 users liked this post by MVoorhees:
angrypengu (02-10-2023), gb4.2 (02-10-2023), KK22 (02-10-2023), MorganMay (02-10-2023), Nice VW (03-13-2023), Paydirty (02-11-2023), pcc125 (02-10-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Electrical error