A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The D5 is no lightweight to begin with...But the V8 model is really HEAVY.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

You guys know by now that I love the V8 in the D4.... I finally had a chance to take a look at the D5 (V6) up-close and spend time in it. Without going too off-topic: Those touch screens, man ... what the hell where they thinking? I hated them in the Q8, only to see that they are exactly the same in the D5. Engine options aside, I have to really step back and think about this.

If you love the touch interfaces, good - not looking to argue. I dislike all-touch systems with a passion. Maybe it's just me and Audi did focus groups and found 90% of people like them? I don't know...
Old 11-13-2019, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by AugustHorch
You guys know by now that I love the V8 in the D4.... I finally had a chance to take a look at the D5 (V6) up-close and spend time in it. Without going too off-topic: Those touch screens, man ... what the hell where they thinking? I hated them in the Q8, only to see that they are exactly the same in the D5. Engine options aside, I have to really step back and think about this.

If you love the touch interfaces, good - not looking to argue. I dislike all-touch systems with a passion. Maybe it's just me and Audi did focus groups and found 90% of people like them? I don't know...

Yeah, I have some concerns about the touch screens when driving the car. I'll let you know how/if I aclaimate after spending some time behind the wheel in the next couple of weeks. But the screens do allow you a ton of vehicle customizations well beyond the D4's MMI. When I drive I limit my MMI use to music selection, HVAC control (usually just have it set to one temp on AUTO anyway), and Drive Select control upon getting on/exiting a highway. Infrequently I use NAV and telephone. These are all easily accessed on the screens (as is, or by creating a shortcut with favorites, like for favorite radio/satellite stations). I've been going through all the available video tutorials in the My Audi app (I call it LEARNING FOR LUDDITES), and I'm more comfortable today then I was before focusing in on this stuff--But actual use when on the road is another story, so we shall see.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Looking forward to your take on that, in actual real-world driving.

Going back on topic... I've had to put on new tires (21") once a year on the D4 due to excessive wear caused by the weight/torque combo - so probably smaller wheels/thicker and harder tires would be the way to go for a D5 to extend tread life.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L
I just noticed these curb weight differentials. Had read long ago when the D5 was first being launched that instead of shedding weight the new model would actually be heavier--But how heavy the D5 is compared to the D4...WOW. Compared to my D4 4.0T V8 at 4619 lbs., both the D5 3.0T and 4.0T models could affectionately be called "porkers". Guess all the additional electronics weights these babies down pretty good. At approaching 5,000 lbs, the V8 D5 really does need all 487ft-lbs of torque to get that beast moving!

D5 A8L Curb weight (lbs)
A8L 55 TFSI - 4,773
A8L 60 TFSI - 4,905

Can't wait to get behind the wheel of my very own PORKER!!! :-))
Ha! Official weight for my car is 4,751 lbs...22 lbs. under weight compared to the 55's published weight. Real "svelt" ride. :-)). More seriously, the car really doesn't feel that heavy when tossing it around a bit--the suspension (and All-Wheel Steering) compensate for the weight quite well. At least that's how I remember how my D5 feels...Car's still with dealer service department where they're trying to figure out the weird buzzing noise from the fuel EVAP system.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Yeah, I have some concerns about the touch screens when driving the car. I'll let you know how/if I aclaimate after spending some time behind the wheel in the next couple of weeks. But the screens do allow you a ton of vehicle customizations well beyond the D4's MMI. When I drive I limit my MMI use to music selection, HVAC control (usually just have it set to one temp on AUTO anyway), and Drive Select control upon getting on/exiting a highway. Infrequently I use NAV and telephone. These are all easily accessed on the screens (as is, or by creating a shortcut with favorites, like for favorite radio/satellite stations). I've been going through all the available video tutorials in the My Audi app (I call it LEARNING FOR LUDDITES), and I'm more comfortable today then I was before focusing in on this stuff--But actual use when on the road is another story, so we shall see.
another Luddite! Derf, I would never have suspected; you were a pioneer with both the D4 and D5. I realized some years ago that I was a Luddite, and I’ve learned to live with it. You can, too.

looking back, my most recent car purchases have been influenced by a desire to avoid the crap that is finding its way into nearly every new model. About three years ago, I began to contemplate the successor to my 2007 D3. I seriously considered skipping the D4 series entirely, and go directly into the D5, but the more I read about the D5, the more I saw gismos that left me cold. For example, the stop/start system had already influenced my decision to purchase my wife’s Cayenne S while the S/S system could still be permanently disabled. At least Porsche was honest enough to expressly state in its sales brochure that the starter motor was henceforth a maintenance item. At the last moment I decided to order one of the last D4’s to run down the assembly line, and I’m glad I did. In fact, while pondering my decision, the fact that the S8 didn’t even have S/S worked its way on to my pros and cons sheet. Reading the posts above I see that the D5 S/S is even more complex than I could have possibly imagined, all for , at best, an inconsequential mpg/ co2 benefit. And you better hope the engine starts up again if you are stopped someplace where you may not want to get out of the car. That, incidentally, was how I convinced my wife to leave the S/S off.

Mike, a/k/a Lud.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike911A8:
AugustHorch (12-07-2019), gk1 (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default heavy but agile

Yes ,she is heavy, but with the 4 wheel steering, very agile. the v8 is smooth and very powerful and in complete synch with the transmission. So far I am very pleased with mine. It feels more solid than my S550 did.

Last edited by floraudi; 12-06-2019 at 12:57 PM. Reason: adding information.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
another Luddite! Derf, I would never have suspected; you were a pioneer with both the D4 and D5. I realized some years ago that I was a Luddite, and I’ve learned to live with it. You can, too.

looking back, my most recent car purchases have been influenced by a desire to avoid the crap that is finding its way into nearly every new model. About three years ago, I began to contemplate the successor to my 2007 D3. I seriously considered skipping the D4 series entirely, and go directly into the D5, but the more I read about the D5, the more I saw gismos that left me cold. For example, the stop/start system had already influenced my decision to purchase my wife’s Cayenne S while the S/S system could still be permanently disabled. At least Porsche was honest enough to expressly state in its sales brochure that the starter motor was henceforth a maintenance item. At the last moment I decided to order one of the last D4’s to run down the assembly line, and I’m glad I did. In fact, while pondering my decision, the fact that the S8 didn’t even have S/S worked its way on to my pros and cons sheet. Reading the posts above I see that the D5 S/S is even more complex than I could have possibly imagined, all for , at best, an inconsequential mpg/ co2 benefit. And you better hope the engine starts up again if you are stopped someplace where you may not want to get out of the car. That, incidentally, was how I convinced my wife to leave the S/S off.

Mike, a/k/a Lud.
​​​​​​
Yeah, I'm a lightweight Luddite compared to you Mike. I just get a bit too comfortable with stuff I get used to--But I do have a little trailblazer in me. LOL!!! Truth be told, however, I'm late to the game on the D5--Was ready for it two years ago but Audi screwed up (delayed) its North American release by a year.