A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D5 model year advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
Yes, I get it and understand your perspective. I sometimes can feel the same way, but this car seems to be an outlier. As a reminder, here’s a quick look at the service history WE KNOW OF:

November 2020 – first owner makes purchase.

April 2021 – first unscheduled repair made.

May 2021 – second unscheduled repair made (many items impacted).

May 2021 – vehicle sold by first owner.

August 2021 – vehicle sold, but it wasn’t registered until March 2022 (perhaps it was sold to a dealer and took a couple of months for resale). There are several strange entries in its history regarding the title transfer (several entries in the CarFax report months apart). I’ll bet the car was transferred around to several dealers, but just a guess on my part.

July 2023 – unscheduled repairs made.

October 2023 (early in the month) - unscheduled repairs made.

October 2023 (later the same month) - unscheduled repairs made.

December 2023 – sold again.

December 2023 - unscheduled repairs made.

February 2024 – offered for sale again.

The car looks amazing and I may have a hard time finding a similarly equipped vehicle, BUT if I purchased this car I would feel like I owned the "ticking time bomb". There are just way too many issues with this particular vehicle, all in less than 20k miles. Lastly, there have been a few other vehicle choices (but not in the color I want) that have CLEAN service histories. Since I am not committed to any vehicle yet, wouldn't it make sense to purchase one that has proved to be totally reliable (at least as best as one could tell from the CarFax history) instead of one with a known history of problems?

Thanks for the input however, I do appreciate your input. These forums have been great and I like the "community feel".
Think I’d want to identify the nature of each “unscheduled repair.” For the last batch, were they centered around the same issue? For example, one complaint that dealer was throwing parts at?; or non-related issues?

Old 02-23-2024, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I get it and understand your perspective. I sometimes can feel the same way, but this car seems to be an outlier. As a reminder, here’s a quick look at the service history WE KNOW OF:

November 2020 – first owner makes purchase.

April 2021 – first unscheduled repair made.

May 2021 – second unscheduled repair made (many items impacted).

May 2021 – vehicle sold by first owner.

August 2021 – vehicle sold, but it wasn’t registered until March 2022 (perhaps it was sold to a dealer and took a couple of months for resale). There are several strange entries in its history regarding the title transfer (several entries in the CarFax report months apart). I’ll bet the car was transferred around to several dealers, but just a guess on my part.

July 2023 – unscheduled repairs made.

October 2023 (early in the month) - unscheduled repairs made.

October 2023 (later the same month) - unscheduled repairs made.

December 2023 – sold again.

December 2023 - unscheduled repairs made.

February 2024 – offered for sale again.

The car looks amazing and I may have a hard time finding a similarly equipped vehicle, BUT if I purchased this car I would feel like I owned the "ticking time bomb". There are just way too many issues with this particular vehicle, all in less than 20k miles. Lastly, there have been a few other vehicle choices (but not in the color I want) that have CLEAN service histories. Since I am not committed to any vehicle yet, wouldn't it make sense to purchase one that has proved to be totally reliable (at least as best as one could tell from the CarFax history) instead of one with a known history of problems?

Thanks for the input however, I do appreciate your input. These forums have been great and I like the "community feel".
i would expect the car to be lemon lawed if the same issue persists, since the previous owner would probably lose more money if just dumping the car to the dealer?
Since the car has only been to two Audi dealers, you could try to call their service department and request the service history on the vehicle(they may not be willing to release it without redacting owner's personal info, which takes time), or maybe ask them to go over it over the phone so you know exactly what was worked on. Carfax could be pretty vague most of the time
Old 02-24-2024, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 363 Likes on 265 Posts

Yep, someone has already contacted their Audi technician friend and provided some additional information. Still working on getting more details, as several of the unscheduled repairs were for the same thing (drain pump 2-3 times, and if my memory is correct, the fuel pump was also replaced more than once). You can view the CarFax report, it is listed in the webpage where the car is offered for sale.
Old 02-29-2024, 02:41 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carlinklife Apple CarPlay/AndroidAuto integration kit for Audi 2010-2019
Our Apple CarPlay/AndroidAuto integration kit will give you the ability to add-on functions for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to your Audi’s existing entertainment system.
To control and switch the apps within Carplay, it is integrated with your vehicle’s **** controls and original touchscreen.
Or you can control it with your voice thanks to Siri/Google Assistant.
You will not lose any functions from your original system, the integration kit will work as an added function.
The kits will come with the required module and all the necessary wires to complete installation in your vehicle.

Version 2 Improvements:

– No need for a separate Microphone for Siri/Google Assistant as the kit uses Original microphone
Wireless AndroidAuto is now supportedFeatures of our kit:

– Wired/Wireless Apple CarPlay
– Wired/Wireless Android Auto
– Easy control with vehicles built-in controls
– If your vehicle has original Rear View/Surround View cameras, those will continue working the same way
– This module can be extended with Front/Rear view camera (if your vehicle didn’t come with those originally from the factory)
– Supports touch screen.

LINK:Carlinklife Apple CarPlay/AndroidAuto integration kit for Audi 2010-2019
Enjoy $30 OFF + Worldwide Free shipping ! (USE CODE: audiworld )
Only for audiworld forum members!
Old 03-12-2024, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Purchased a CPO 2020 Mythos Black A8L with 16K miles. Fully loaded with everything but the Advanced B & O sound system. I got the 4.0L twin turbo V8 because of my previous awesome experience with the 2018 S6 I had a few years ago. Like the S6, my A8L is well built and then some as flagship luxury sedan should be. The adaptable suspension is excellent in all modes. I drive in the individual mode which has the suspension and steering in Dynamic mode and the engine in Balanced mode. It is a technology marvel that has more functions than you can possibly use. It is definitely better than the BMW 7 series which feels lighter and technical gremlins that can be annoying. The S Class has the edge if you want the full ultra luxury experience. But if you want a well balanced luxury sedan that not everyone has, the Audi A8L is the BEST choice!
The following users liked this post:
KK22 (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 363 Likes on 265 Posts

I'm still in my search for a new ride. Thanks to a fellow forum member, something popped up today and I'm looking for feedback. I've already reached out to the seller to see about getting a copy of the window sticker and a CarFax report.

2020 Audi S8
Old 04-26-2024, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 126 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm still in my search for a new ride. Thanks to a fellow forum member, something popped up today and I'm looking for feedback. I've already reached out to the seller to see about getting a copy of the window sticker and a CarFax report.

2020 Audi S8
I see nothing glaringly wrong with the car, about the same price as my CPO 60 w 23k miles. Even has laser lights. Would negotiate a long warranty then jump on it.
The following 3 users liked this post by KK22:
DallasDave (04-26-2024), pcc125 (04-26-2024), sistrunk05 (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Second what KK22 said. It is a very low miles car for a 2020. I love the metallic blue color and that brown interior. Good luck.
sistrunk05 (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2020 Audi S8
Diito on the carfax, but look at the maintenance record in detail. If it shows the car is in the shop every couple of months other than for free carwashes, run from it. It looks super clean like the 1st owner took care of the S8 very well so my last statement hopefully is not an issue. Also identify a good Indy repair shop to perform your maintenance. I use Fifth Gear Automotive and they have various locations in North Texas suburbs. They do excellent work and are reasonable for parts and labor rates.

Last edited by sistrunk05; 04-26-2024 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Another plus on the 2020 S8 you are looking at is a one owner car who more than likely took good care of it for the last 4 years, at least it appears that way from the pictures
sistrunk05 (04-26-2024)

Quick Reply: D5 model year advice