A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CH: Enable rise on open?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CH: Enable rise on open?

I drove a Germany spec 2020 S8 today and noticed how incredibly well it took speed bumps When approaching them head on, yet less so when coming at them immediately after turning into a road with speed bumps. I assumed that’s the effect of the camera seeing vs not seeing the bump, and the predictive active suspension doing its thing.

As far as I’m aware predictive active suspension is standard on the S8 in Germany, yet the car did not rise when I opened the door. I searched endlessly for the option in the MMI in case it was deactivated but couldn’t find it.

Can anyone help? The non-Audi dealer selling the car couldn’t help much and just said ‘probably it doesn’t have it’. I looked for a VIN decoder to check the spec but didn’t have a lot of luck. I approached Audi and they refused to confirm the spec because I don’t own the car; data protection nonsense.
Old 03-17-2023, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 494 Likes on 336 Posts

^^

Is the car fitted with a trailer hitch? If so, the 40mm entry/exit lift is disabled IIRC. Otherwise, the setting should be accessible within MMI.

The active chassis is standard on the current production S8, but that may not have been the case in 2020. The PR code is 2MQ, so have a look at the decal in the trunk to see if that is listed.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

My 2020 has the active suspension and I know my kid went into the system to adjust the height. GL
Old 03-18-2023, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

Well we know these machines are getting too advanced when the young'uns have to be summoned to deep dive into the settings.
Old 03-19-2023, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
^^

Is the car fitted with a trailer hitch? If so, the 40mm entry/exit lift is disabled IIRC. Otherwise, the setting should be accessible within MMI.

The active chassis is standard on the current production S8, but that may not have been the case in 2020. The PR code is 2MQ, so have a look at the decal in the trunk to see if that is listed.
You’re quite right, it has the deployable tow hitch!
is there a decal in the trunk showing the car’s spec like in Ferrari? Wish there was an online vin decoder that gave this info
Old 03-23-2023, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AnnualMan
I drove a Germany spec 2020 S8 today and noticed how incredibly well it took speed bumps When approaching them head on, yet less so when coming at them immediately after turning into a road with speed bumps. I assumed that’s the effect of the camera seeing vs not seeing the bump, and the predictive active suspension doing its thing.

As far as I’m aware predictive active suspension is standard on the S8 in Germany, yet the car did not rise when I opened the door. I searched endlessly for the option in the MMI in case it was deactivated but couldn’t find it.

Can anyone help? The non-Audi dealer selling the car couldn’t help much and just said ‘probably it doesn’t have it’. I looked for a VIN decoder to check the spec but didn’t have a lot of luck. I approached Audi and they refused to confirm the spec because I don’t own the car; data protection nonsense.
My 2021 S8 is equipped with the Predictive Active Suspension (this was a standard feature for the 2020 and 2021 S8 MY's but I think it became an option for the S8 starting in MY 2022 and for 2023). To access the settings for the PDA system in the MMI, go to: Vehicle--> Data--> the Active Suspension view will show with an illustration of the vehicle's suspension. Then press the Setting's "gear" icon in the upper right corner of the screen. You'll be able to turn on the Elevated Entry feature which raises the body several inches upon opening any door then lowers the body shortly after all doors are closed. It works quickly since the lifting is done by individual electric motors at each wheel. (Some think the air suspension does the lifting but that's not true. Electric motors are used to quickly adjust raise or lower the body as needed, if activated by the need for allowing for a raised section or speed bump in the road OR for the Elevated Entry feature. The air suspension cannot react as quickly as the electric motors.) Please note the PDA does NOT "see" or adjust the car's suspension when potholes or depressions are in the road ahead.

Also, in the same MMI screen view, you will be able to turn off the PDA and also adjust its sensitivity ("Light" or "Strong") to sensing and adjusting to the raised bumps in the road.

The U.S. owner's manual for the 2021 A8 (there is no S8 owner's manual) has a small section on the PDA system on pp. 125-127 within the Suspension subject heading.

Hope this is helpful to you!
The following users liked this post:
AnnualMan (03-24-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I keep reading about the tow hitch. Why is this suddenly a feature offered for a high line luxury car? I could see this for an SUV or a truck.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Nice VW
I keep reading about the tow hitch. Why is this suddenly a feature offered for a high line luxury car? I could see this for an SUV or a truck.
because people want them. they use them for all kinds of stuff for instance if u need to take bicycles with you on a ferry it is half the cost of you have them behind the car vs on top - they charge you double if ur over height. all kinds of things. people that need scooters use them too.