A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Certain musings from my 2,000+ miles trip to FL

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Had the Central Locking fault warning a couple of months ago. Dealer did the software update also as a CPO warranty repair. Interestingly, the fault warning was associated with the right rear door locking mechanism; the exterior door pull sort of felt stiff when opening the door and then the warning message disappeared. Happened twice over a month’s time before I brought the car in. They have to do the update on each individual door’s control module. Was told that if it happens again after the update, then the lock mechanism for the affected door needs to be replaced.
exactly what SA told me, each module will be updated. Mine was ALSO rear passenger door that triggered it imo. Let’s see if it acts up.

As an aside I asked as I always do to update to matrix LEDs. My SA went to the manager and he said Yes!! I was super excited till I got a text from him saying that same legal BS. But he had told me yes it has cleared earlier after the discussion. Hope to get more of a scoop on this when I get my car back.
Old 01-08-2024, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 712 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by KK22
As an aside I asked as I always do to update to matrix LEDs. My SA went to the manager and he said Yes!! I was super excited till I got a text from him saying that same legal BS. But he had told me yes it has cleared earlier after the discussion. Hope to get more of a scoop on this when I get my car back.
Apparently, even though NHTSA has approved Automatic Driving Beams (aka Audi Matrix Lights) for use in the U.S., there’s a catch: they weighed the new regulation down with an anti-glare standard that’s more restrictive than the European regulations require. Audi’s existing matrix hardware, from what I’ve read, doesn’t meet the U.S. standard, so Audi can’t have their dealers do the software activation. It appears Audi (and other manufacturers) have petitioned NHTSA for reconsideration of the more restrictive anti-glare standard. Here’s something I lifted from another forum site that explains the current dilemma:

Last year, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) issued a final rule allowing the use of ADB. During development of the final rule 2 major ADB standards existed worldwide, which are SAE-J3069 and ECE-R123. When NHTSA issued the final rule amending FMVSS 108, it deviated from both standards, citing concerns with glare, among others. The amended 108 allows the use of ADB but doesn't grandfather in any manufacturers existing system. Those existing systems need to be tested and certified to the 108 standards, which no manufacturer can meet, since their systems are based on the SAE-J3069 and/or ECE-R123.

In April 2022, 11 parties, one being VWGoA, sent letters of petition to NHTSA requesting reconsideration of the amended 108. NHTSA has the issue as pending, but I'm unable to find any publicly available correspondence after April 2022. VWGoA, in their letter, stated that hardware and software changes are required to comply with FMVSS 108 and would take years to do so. If interested, you can lookup Docket ID "NHTSA-2022-0013" on regulations.gov.”

I will say, based on my experience thus far, that Audi’s existing matrix hardware works very well and does not produce glare that blinds other drivers. Have not had a single driver flash their high-beams at me when my matrix lights were active. From what I can tell from how the matrix beam shades approaching cars in the opposing lane, and also cars directly in front of my car, those cars are better shielded from my headlight glare now versus when the normal low-beams are operating.

The following 2 users liked this post by derfA8L:
angrypengu (01-08-2024), KK22 (01-08-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

Great info 👍 I’m not going to hold my breath. But wow, what a mess. Maybe activation outside of the dealership is still in the cards.