A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi air-quality fragrance system

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Audi air-quality fragrance system

Hello,
I have 2020 Audi A8L. It comes with air-quality (fragrance/ionizer) system.
I never smelled anything, Its still under warranty so I took it to 2 different dealers, and the last one even changed the entire fragrance module, and inserted new cartridges as well, but still I do not smell anything significant. And after almost 500 miles both cartridges still show 100% with setting at High.
Is it normal, that you barely smell anything or there is still an underlying issue going on.
I looked at a YT video, probably a European spec car, which says that the fragrance system will keep on blowing the fragrance 2 mins after the car is shut off to keep the car fresh, but that doesn't happen here and as soon as I turn off the engine, the vents closes immediately. Link attached in this thread.

A little insight will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2024, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 161 Likes on 126 Posts

Mine releases a puff of fragrance periodically when driving and usually right at the start of the engine. I have it set on strong or the next level below that. When changing after two years, both fragrance cartridges are about half empty. I have never noticed any fragrance being released after the car is shut off.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MorganMay
Mine releases a puff of fragrance periodically when driving and usually right at the start of the engine. I have it set on strong or the next level below that. When changing after two years, both fragrance cartridges are about half empty. I have never noticed any fragrance being released after the car is shut off.
When you say release puff, do you actually smell through vents, or see a mist from vents. As my olfactory sensations doesn't register anything and no change in smell even when i change from winter to summer or from subtle to High.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

My car says it has fragrance, and I have it turned on. But I have never smelled anything and the fill level still says 100% after 7 months.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 161 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Lalajee
When you say release puff, do you actually smell through vents, or see a mist from vents. As my olfactory sensations doesn't register anything and no change in smell even when i change from winter to summer or from subtle to High.
I smell the fragrance from at least the front seat positions (where I am always seated) but assume it reaches the rear seats as well. It is not a mist. The effect is like that picked up from other sources along the road: new mown lawn, skunk, feed lot manure, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Lalajee (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
My car says it has fragrance, and I have it turned on. But I have never smelled anything and the fill level still says 100% after 7 months.
That's exactly my issue too that's why started this post to learn others experience and if someone has figured out the solution for those who are facing the same.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 798 Likes on 581 Posts

Any diff on the strength levels? Mine's at 100% after 5 years but I've rarely used it. The atomizer could be shot though.

The strength of the smell is generally stronger when the HVAC is heating vs cooling.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 139 Likes on 101 Posts

I have not had any car with the fragrance atomizer installed, however, I sometimes spray some cologne into the vents, and the smell stays in the car for a good while, and you smell it when you start the heating or cooling in the car. Manual atomizer!
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 126 Likes on 83 Posts

Two observations:

1) Very basic, but you have to actually press the buttons for the fragrance for it to work. Mine stopped working after a service but the dealership had actually turned it off. Since the menu is hidden I couldn't notice it till I went looking for it. Even though you have it set for Max or whatever in settings, you still need to press the buttons in the main climate menu.

2) The vents are never really fully closed. Note the tiny baby vents under the main vents. For a cleaner aesthetic, I sometimes close all main vents when I don't want air blowing on my face. Note the climate control still works to maintain your set temperature, how? baby vents. The new 7 series only has baby vents BTW, not really a fan of that actually. Sometimes I actually like a blast of cold air to the face.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Random question - is this a feature that can be easily retrofitted into a car?

Quick Reply: Audi air-quality fragrance system