A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Angrypengu's review of the D5 A8.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 794 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L

Won’t regret it when they stop popping up, I’d bet. 😉
i know that was tongue in cheek, and I agree. That said the Premium 3D system did have a few speaker rattles.....I was pushing the system HARD though. In all seriousness, did the D4 B&O system ever have that issue?

Old 11-14-2018, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
i know that was tongue in cheek, and I agree. That said the Premium 3D system did have a few speaker rattles.....I was pushing the system HARD though. In all seriousness, did the D4 B&O system ever have that issue?
Dont think it was a major complaint. IIRC, there may have been one post with that issue, and even that may have been early on after the D4 was launched. I do recall that the service manager at my dealer once mentioned that a car came in with a rattle problem with one of those pop up tweeters. But I don’t think it’s been a pervasive issue. And yeah, I was being cute ☺️
Old 11-14-2018, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
One of my brand new A7 B&O Premium speakers has already been rattling since I picked it up!
Old 11-15-2018, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have decided on the B&O Advanced.

Here is why.

I can confirm that the speakers in the rear parcel shelf, namely "surround speaker/surround tweeter" are most likely there debunking my earlier theories. So how on this green Earth do we go from 23 speakers to 17 speakers?

This is a given:

3D speaker in the rear overhead = deleted. Great, that gets us from 23 to 21.

I can confirm that the rear tweeters are present in the Premium 3D system. So that theory is gone.

Looking at the A8's Advanced schematic, I am not able to account for 4 whole speakers. I will not have the chance to listen to the Advanced 3D system for 24 hours like I did with the Premium 3D system, so I'm just going to bite the bullet.

I have asked Audi Canada, one last time, to tell me the information I want, but I suspect they will be useless. I've looked everywhere for an EKTA parts diagram for the D5, but nothing can be found.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you who have spent some time in the new 19, can you expand on your thoughts of the ****-less interior center controls? My wife and I have had two A8L models ('06 new, and '12 new) and really love the cars. Sure, they've both had annoyances that were usually resolved (posted on this board long ago), but for the same reasons mentioned (top quality, under the radar, feature rich ride), we like the A8L. The only negative we found was the distraction of having to look down at the flat glass panels to make any adjustments. It was alarming that you have to take your eyes off the road so much to change temp, or make other adjustments.

We're assuming as time goes on drivers will have better feel for where things are and how to adjust, but we were really turned off by this one redesign and think the Germans made a big mistake here. There is minimal or no tactile feel. Sales rep said we could use voice command so we trained it and did - but it too was not great. Made a lot of errors even with clear voice.

Curious to know for those who had earlier models what you've felt while driving for say, 30-60 minutes or longer, and having to use this new ****-less interior. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
For those of you who have spent some time in the new 19, can you expand on your thoughts of the ****-less interior center controls? My wife and I have had two A8L models ('06 new, and '12 new) and really love the cars. Sure, they've both had annoyances that were usually resolved (posted on this board long ago), but for the same reasons mentioned (top quality, under the radar, feature rich ride), we like the A8L. The only negative we found was the distraction of having to look down at the flat glass panels to make any adjustments. It was alarming that you have to take your eyes off the road so much to change temp, or make other adjustments.

We're assuming as time goes on drivers will have better feel for where things are and how to adjust, but we were really turned off by this one redesign and think the Germans made a big mistake here. There is minimal or no tactile feel. Sales rep said we could use voice command so we trained it and did - but it too was not great. Made a lot of errors even with clear voice.

Curious to know for those who had earlier models what you've felt while driving for say, 30-60 minutes or longer, and having to use this new ****-less interior. Thanks.
I too had the same concerns. Here is my feedback.

1) Even in my very first test drive of the Audi A8, I had little to no issues operating either screen as a driver while the vehicle was in motion. The main reason for this is because of the gear shifter. It braces my arm well. I will, shockingly even to me, say that I prefer the new MMI system. It is very intuitive and quick to learn. I am coming from the Mercedes COMAND system and truth be told, I struggled more with the new S class's interface (versus my current COMAND interface on my current MB) than I did with the A8.

2) Even if you hate touchscreens, the voice operation worked very well for me. Yesterday, I told the D5 that I was too cold, and then it asked me what temperature I wanted to set it to, all verbally.

3) As a front seat passenger though, I struggled with the operation of the screens, because my "brace" was no longer there as the gear shift **** is on the driver's side only.

My main reservation which I thought I would run into and I did, was the frigging fingerprints. That issue is not pervasive per se, but if you're OCD like me, it will bother you. That said, I cannot stress enough I LOVE the new interface. It's clean, tidy, and works very well. Sure, there are some screens that are buried somewhere that took me some time to find, but that is true with any multimedia interface.

Within 4-5 hours of driving the D5, I barely even looked down. I knew where everything was.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you go here - https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/solu...utomotive/audi and scroll down the page you can see the layout of the A8 advanced B&O speakers

Old 11-15-2018, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, that I do know. I'm looking for ANY information with speaker placement for the Premium 3D sound system (17 speakers). It is nowhere to be found
Old 11-15-2018, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh sorry - I wish they made the information more transparent!

FWIW I had the B&O advanced system in my S7 and it was an amazing system. It was clear at every volume level and the rising tweeters were always a crowd pleaser for passengers
Old 11-15-2018, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

RESULT!!

Quick Reply: Angrypengu's review of the D5 A8.