A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to full electronics boot?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Time to full electronics boot?

Hi There,

Possibly a question that's already been answered, but I didn't find an obvious thread.

How long does your D4 take for the electrical systems to start up?
I've recently switched from an '06 D3 to a '12 D4 (4.2 NWB), and I notice my electronics systems booting in a phased fashion that while understandable, is far longer than the D3 used to take and appears to start systems in a slightly strange order.

Examples:
My back up camera is not available as soon as I start the car and put it into 'R' - takes about 15 seconds to come on (just at start time, rest of the time it's instant). That 15 seconds is kinda useless when I'm backing out of a parking spot, since by the time it comes on (and dips the radio etc), I'm already out of the parking spot.

The infotainment system also seems to take a while - If I start the car in Nav Mode, the system initializes for maybe 20-30 secs before I can enter a location to guide to. Switching Media types, particularly to Bluetooth, also seems to take close to 45 secs, and halts playback on the phone for maybe 15 secs as it transfers to the car audio systems.

Most disconcerting however, is the fact that my driving settings (dynamic / comfort / etc.) don't seem to kick in until maybe a minute after ignition. It's pretty weird to be driving through the carpark leaving work, and when I'm approaching the exit, having the steering weight change suddenly.

I know they have to conserve available electrical power, and systems are started in priority order, no worries there. I'm just expected them to come online faster and am trying to work out if my experience is different to others? The back up camera in particular has me perplexed, would seem that would be one of the systems that would be required first (well, after the ones that actually make the engine run :-) )

Would love to hear about others' experiences, or (even better) get pointed to the thread where this is already discussed and sorted out....

Thanks,

John
Old 10-11-2013, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those numbers all sound about average for mine.
The bluetooth transfer of the phonebook is a bit annoying.
Have to agree the RVC should be a priority.

Bottom line is it will not change.
Not anytime soon anyway, perhaps in the future when/if newer versions of the MMI SW are released.

My routine is to start the vehicle immediately upon entry.
Then get settled in, buckled up, and have a quick meditation before battling the morons on the road

I try never to be in a hurry and by the time I get through my routine everything is usually running.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think this is bad - BMW would drive you insane.

I take my time, make sure to leave early for everything and let the car warm up a bit. I always felt it to be bad for a car to immediately go into gear from a cold start. I could be wrong but because of this belief the start up times for in-car electronics have never been an issue for me. I am sure I won't be so calm and patient when kids come into my life...so please know I'm not preaching.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tuesday
If you think this is bad - BMW would drive you insane.

I take my time, make sure to leave early for everything and let the car warm up a bit. I always felt it to be bad for a car to immediately go into gear from a cold start. I could be wrong but because of this belief the start up times for in-car electronics have never been an issue for me. I am sure I won't be so calm and patient when kids come into my life...so please know I'm not preaching.
Ha - I had a 650iC - it drove me insane, so I sold it. The single most disappointing vehicle I've ever owned!
Old 10-14-2013, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Guys - at least knowing that other's vehicles behave the same way gives me peace of mind that my one isn't broken somehow.