A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension (control arms) replacement A8 D4 2012

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Suspension (control arms) replacement A8 D4 2012

My new (to me) A8 D4 2012 came with huge rattling and knocking suspension noises when over rough surfaces.

I didn't have time to figure out what exactly was wrong (no dealer where I live). So, I bought the EuroParts Ultimate Control Arms Kit. (https://www.europaparts.com/ultimate...-a4-s8-d4.html).
This should everything but the air-shocks.

Have some questions.
Anything in particular I should know about replacing this?
Should I just replace the bad part (if I figure out what it is), or replace the whole thing (all the control arms and bushings).

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2017, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I plan to get my upper control arms replaced because of vibration and some noise despite having the control arm bushings done last year. I am getting the full kit here:
https://www.europaparts.com/ultimate...-a4-s8-d4.html

I would check all the suspension parts first and start with the upper control arms as they are the culprits and go out pretty early. My 2012 Audi A8L has 140k miles on it now so its time. I would replace the whole arm because pressing in the new bushings in the existing control arm is a hit and miss and didnt work on my D4 A8 like my older D3 A8 so I am now going to replace the whole upper control arms in the front.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you're enjoying you're new A8, I recently purchased a 2011 with 60k on the clock, the front was making the same noises you experienced. Another thread mentioned simply replacing both front strut links would fox the issue. I bought the OES strut links from Europa Parts for $65 for the pair including delivery and had my mechanic install them. Sure enough, the original strut links were the source of all the rattling, shuddering and squeaking sounds I was hearing up front. Plus the body roll is much reduced with the new links.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Could you show me a schematic/pic of the parts you replaced?

as in my link above, I also did get the ultimate kit from EuropaParts.

My A8 is 30k km or 18k miles.

Dont know why the failure so early.
Maybe my friend gave it a rough life or something...
Old 05-04-2017, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eyvind Mondragon
Could you show me a schematic/pic of the parts you replaced?

as in my link above, I also did get the ultimate kit from EuropaParts.

My A8 is 30k km or 18k miles.

Dont know why the failure so early.
Maybe my friend gave it a rough life or something...
Here's a link to the part, it's a perfect fit for the A8. It seems from the other thread on this topic some factory installed links failed as early as 10k miles. This part number actually fits a number of audis and porsches and these links are quite a bit sturdier than the original design they installed at the factory.

https://www.europaparts.com/sway-bar...4m0411317.html
Old 05-04-2017, 07:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly doubt that your suspension is worn out at such low miles. I have seen plenty of D4 a8s with 70-80k on stock suspension. Only thing it could be (and it does cause quite a ruckus) are the sway bar links.. when those go bad, it sounds like the whole suspension is messed up. I would start there unless your wheels have play when tested off the ground (which would indicate bad control arms or other suspension links)

oops, just saw the previous post outlining what I mentioned, should have read before posting!

Originally Posted by Eyvind Mondragon
My new (to me) A8 D4 2012 came with huge rattling and knocking suspension noises when over rough surfaces.

I didn't have time to figure out what exactly was wrong (no dealer where I live). So, I bought the EuroParts Ultimate Control Arms Kit. (https://www.europaparts.com/ultimate...-a4-s8-d4.html).
This should everything but the air-shocks.

Have some questions.
Anything in particular I should know about replacing this?
Should I just replace the bad part (if I figure out what it is), or replace the whole thing (all the control arms and bushings).

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2017, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

...FYI The part number you need is 4M0411317

Try this first before messing with control arms.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Negative on any full kit ideas. Cheap in more ways than one!

Uugh. "None of the above/below" is my very strong vote. Don't use a "kit" because it is all inclusive in theory or because it is "cheap." Cheap crap is bluntly what you will probably get. Incredible numbers of people on boards I have been including A6 and A8 have screwed up a lot of Audi's doing this. Through bitter experience many owners have learned later "cheap" really is cheap crap. There is a rampant quality issue with many of these kits that are often from the low cost dubious supplier du jour. Some may use cute Euro sounding names too, even if they come from different parts of the world than that. Thus, it gets really old doing the same job over and over; some of the aftermarket parts fail in as little as 10 or 20,000 miles.

What you really want are the OEM parts, either from dealer or the original supplier. For the ones most likely to wear, those are often Lemforder branded and available as such for somewhat less than the same part at the dealer. For D4's, the most likely wear area are the sway bar links. There have now been a pretty good number of board members who have had these replaced even while car is still under original warranty at pretty low miles. Those are also a very easy part to change even as a basic DIY'er and among the least expensive components too. The next most common to wear are the upper control arms. The least common to wear--and also hard to change--are the lower control arms. On D3 A8's, many owners go essentially life of car on the original lower control arms. On upper control arms and sway bar links sourced from dealer or Lemforder brand, they may get 50-90,000 miles as a general ballpark. D4's are already demonstrably coming up short of that on the sway bar links, which are a somewhat different set up/shape than on the D3's. Those who have used poor quality aftermarket parts end up changing the parts again at a much faster rate, and run into issues with the lower control arms too where other owners never have any to begin with if they stick to the originals.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-04-2017 at 10:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ourduck (04-18-2020)
Old 05-05-2017, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Talking

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Uugh. "None of the above/below" is my very strong vote. Don't use a "kit" because it is all inclusive in theory or because it is "cheap." Cheap crap is bluntly what you will probably get. Incredible numbers of people on boards I have been including A6 and A8 have screwed up a lot of Audi's doing this. Through bitter experience many owners have learned later "cheap" really is cheap crap. There is a rampant quality issue with many of these kits that are often from the low cost dubious supplier du jour. Some may use cute Euro sounding names too, even if they come from different parts of the world than that. Thus, it gets really old doing the same job over and over; some of the aftermarket parts fail in as little as 10 or 20,000 miles.

What you really want are the OEM parts, either from dealer or the original supplier. For the ones most likely to wear, those are often Lemforder branded and available as such for somewhat less than the same part at the dealer. For D4's, the most likely wear area are the sway bar links. There have now been a pretty good number of board members who have had these replaced even while car is still under original warranty at pretty low miles. Those are also a very easy part to change even as a basic DIY'er and among the least expensive components too. The next most common to wear are the upper control arms. The least common to wear--and also hard to change--are the lower control arms. On D3 A8's, many owners go essentially life of car on the original lower control arms. On upper control arms and sway bar links sourced from dealer or Lemforder brand, they may get 50-90,000 miles as a general ballpark. D4's are already demonstrably coming up short of that on the sway bar links, which are a somewhat different set up/shape than on the D3's. Those who have used poor quality aftermarket parts end up changing the parts again at a much faster rate, and run into issues with the lower control arms too where other owners never have any to begin with if they stick to the originals.

As it turns out the links from Europa parts are actually made by VAG, but are discontinued overstock from when Audi changed the part number around 2014. This is the part audi made to correct the issue on 2011-2013 models. Its much sturdier than the the old and new "oem" parts because they intended to overbuild it. Umm the new oem part is also about four times the price.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

....The strut links, I mean, not the kit.

Quick Reply: Suspension (control arms) replacement A8 D4 2012