A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof / Moonroof Stuck Open

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sunroof / Moonroof Stuck Open

The sunroof on my 2013 A8 4.0L became inoperable after I fully opened it... It would not close. I could hear a click sound when actuating the switch, but no motor sound, no movement of the glass at all.
I visually inspected the tracks on the roof. I checked the fuse. Used OBDeleven to look for error codes. Battery amps are good. I disconnected the battery for 5-min. I dropped the overhead console and inspected the switch/wiring. None of these steps made a difference.
--> The next day while driving, I pushed the switch and it closed!

QUESTIONS:
1. How/why would the sunroof become stuck, then unstuck after some period of time?
I have read posts suggesting a low battery condition could cause it, or a suggestion that the sliding sun shade can get stuck in the fully open position under the glass and that could prevent the glass from closing. I did not have a low battery condition. The sun shade appears to be fine, but you can't see much when it is fully open / retracted.
I wonder if this scenario could be the result of a faulty switch that has not fully failed yet. That seems like a simple, inexpensive part to replace so I may do that myself to rule it out as the culprit.

2. Is there any way to manually close the sunroof in an A8?
There is a manual crank feature on the sunroof motor installed on other Audi models, but I saw nothing in the Owner's Manual, or elsewhere, for how to manually close an A8 sunroof.
I am reluctant to open the sunroof now without a method to get it closed manually... But, I need to open it if I intend to troubleshoot this glitch myself.

If dropping the headliner is warranted, I am not likely to do that myself vs. taking it in for service.

Last edited by FastAsYou; 05-10-2024 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I've experienced the same situation before. I thought there was something stuck in between, but that wasn't the case.

If I remember correctly, I pressed the power button (close button of sunroof) for more than 10 seconds and it turned off. But when I tried to open it again, it got stuck again.

Fortunately, I had VCDS and I re-learn the sunroof, it opened and closed itself a few times and eventually it was fixed.

solution; re-adaptation
The following users liked this post:
FastAsYou (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 12:44 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The click sound you heard when actuating the switch indicates that the electrical signal is reaching the sunroof motor, but the motor itself may not be responding. This could be due to a faulty motor, a loose connection, or an issue with the control module.
FastAsYou (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

trust me its adaptation problem check your DTC codes. for example yesterday my rear shade isnt working. i checked and bingo adaptation is forgetten.
i re adapt. now working normally. I have shown how to make the adaptation below.

Golan Remi (05-13-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

FIXED! Recalibration / adaptation procedure can be run without VCDS... No cost or drawback to redo the adaptation sequence! This appears to have fixed the problem for me.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Turn on "Accessory Power On" (not necessary to start the engine).
2. Actuate the sunroof button in the "close" position, continuously holding it down for approximately 20 seconds, allowing the adaptation process to finish.
NOTE: The same sunroof button performs both the open/close operation and the one-touch operation. You "pull down on the switch with your finger" -NOT pushing the button toward the windshield which is the one-touch close. (video link below demonstrates exactly how to do this)
3. After keeping the button pulled down in the close mode for about 10-seconds, the adaptation procedure will begin. This will cause the roof to fully open and close by itself (continue holding the button down). It may do this more than once, but mine only cycled one time.
4. Once the adaptation procedure is complete, you can release the button.

DEMONSTRATION VIDEO:

Last edited by FastAsYou; 05-10-2024 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Fixed!
The following 2 users liked this post by FastAsYou:
Golan Remi (05-13-2024), grkmspr (05-10-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by FastAsYou
FIXED! Recalibration / adaptation procedure can be run without VCDS... No cost or drawback to redo the adaptation sequence! This appears to have fixed the problem for me.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Turn on "Accessory Power On" (not necessary to start the engine).
2. Actuate the sunroof button in the "close" position, continuously holding it down for approximately 20 seconds, allowing the adaptation process to finish.
NOTE: The same sunroof button performs both the open/close operation and the one-touch operation. You "pull down on the switch with your finger" -NOT pushing the button toward the windshield which is the one-touch close. (video link below demonstrates exactly how to do this)
3. After keeping the button pulled down in the close mode for about 10-seconds, the adaptation procedure will begin. This will cause the roof to fully open and close by itself (continue holding the button down). It may do this more than once, but mine only cycled one time.
4. Once the adaptation procedure is complete, you can release the button.

DEMONSTRATION VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA2n4Z92-JM
Thank you for that! It did the trick for me.