A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Squeaky suspension

My 2011 A8L (49,650 miles) started to make some real loud squeaky noises when cold outside and when going over bumps. I know this was an issue with the D3's and D2's but have not found anything on the D4 forum.
I assume it is the same issue with the control arms and various bushings. Any one here experience this and what was the fix?
Thank you.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorry i don't have a fix, but have the same problem

Dealer has repeatedly said "cannot duplicate problem".
Old 11-15-2014, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rexwilson
Dealer has repeatedly said "cannot duplicate problem".
I have an appointment with the dealer in a few days. Will let you know what they say.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

There are two specific issues which you have to separate out.

The first is a sort of "whoop" sound that many of us hear when going over dips and bumps in the roadway after the car sits overnight. This usually goes away after a few minutes. Audi's explanation for this is essentially air bubbles that accumulate in the air suspension's hydraulic oil causing the sound---it typically goes away after the oil heats up causing the air bubbles to dissolve.

The second issue appears to be the suspension control arm and stabilizer bushings wearing out at about the mileage you've reached---approximately 47k---causing the creaking noise. Many of us on this forum probably haven't driven those many miles, so the issue hasn't really received that much attention here. Plenty of posts on the D3 side however, and as more new owners of pre-owned D4s come on board---especially with 2011/'12 cars---they will be hitting that mileage mark with more frequency, so I expect to see more discussion of this issue as time goes on.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Just had my top control arm bushings replaced at 45,000 miles. It would appear that this D4 will be a control arm bushing eater. Never heard of any vehicle needing suspension work that early. Seems insane to me that something better can not be done to make a suspension last the life of the vehicle. Sure the D4 is heavy, but so are many other vehicles out there.

It's not like the D4 is a race car with precision suspension technology in regards to bump steer and such. Actually, I'm surprised at how poorly it handles and moves around in comparison to my old A6 and prior 550i X-drive. I expected it to be as planted and stable as my old 05 A6 at least, and as good as the 550 X-drive ride wise. It appears the suspension in the D4 is going to be the weak and high wear piece of the vehicle. The top control arm bushings went for 197,000 miles before needing replacing in my 05 sport package A6 with the 4.2 in it! and only 45,000 in the D4. YIKES!!!

Pics of the toasted D4 bushings can be seen here.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...miles-2873527/
Old 11-15-2014, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Many of us on this forum probably haven't driven those many miles, so the issue hasn't really received that much attention here.
Seems like the only tangible issue we've seen other than the one coolant/harness issue, if memory serves.

Wonder what it costs to have Audi repair them...
I've got 35,000 miles to go before it becomes a possible issue, and will definitely be in a new A8L long before that, but will be watching with interest.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
Seems like the only tangible issue we've seen other than the one coolant/harness issue, if memory serves.

Wonder what it costs to have Audi repair them...
I've got 35,000 miles to go before it becomes a possible issue, and will definitely be in a new A8L long before that, but will be watching with interest.
Exactly. My new 2015 A8L is on a truck heading to my dealer, while my current 2011 A8L has only a bit less than 29,500 miles on the OD. My concern focuses mainly on initial quality problems; higher milage issues are interesting for me to observe from the sidelines, but luckily of little personal consequence. Whoever becomes the second owner of my 2011 D4 will be getting a very reliable, very well maintained and cared for vehicle, but I'm sure there will be items that will require service/replacement as the miles traveled accumulate.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What should one expect to pay for these bushings to be replaced at a) a dealer, b) private VW/Audi shop? And are these covered by the factory warranty?
Old 11-15-2014, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by needles
What should one expect to pay for these bushings to be replaced at a) a dealer, b) private VW/Audi shop? And are these covered by the factory warranty?

Mine were covered under CPO warranty for $85.

I put aftermarket top control arms on my A6 myself for a few hundred bucks. I'm sure the dealer would want to charge a couple thousand perhaps with labor, I doubt they will do just the bushings, they'll want to do the whole control arm I'd guess.

It's interesting to note these bushings are all the same, from the A4's to the A8's. There are subtle differences in durometer between the std A models to the S and RS models is all. IMO the less the suspension moves and travels up and down, the longer they will last.

From what I've seen in the A6-C6 forum, it seems the average life in a std. A6 vs a sport suspended A6 is about 100,000 miles. Most A6's need upper control arm bushings done about 100,000 miles where my harsher riding, less travel sport package went almost 200,000 miles.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KnappAttack
Mine were covered under CPO warranty for $85.

I put aftermarket top control arms on my A6 myself for a few hundred bucks. I'm sure the dealer would want to charge a couple thousand perhaps with labor, I doubt they will do just the bushings, they'll want to do the whole control arm I'd guess.

It's interesting to note these bushings are all the same, from the A4's to the A8's. There are subtle differences in durometer between the std A models to the S and RS models is all. IMO the less the suspension moves and travels up and down, the longer they will last.

From what I've seen in the A6-C6 forum, it seems the average life in a std. A6 vs a sport suspended A6 is about 100,000 miles. Most A6's need upper control arm bushings done about 100,000 miles where my harsher riding, less travel sport package went almost 200,000 miles.
Do you know if the dealer had to realign your wheels after replacing the needed parts? Thanks for posting the pictures.

Quick Reply: Squeaky suspension