A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Thoughts on MMI Version 7.15

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from Crown Audi in Clearwater. Truly exceptional service. The service advisor that I had was attentive, friendly, and genuinely interested in finding a solution to my MMI concerns.

This is in contrast to another dealer that shall remain unnamed which was very resistant and insistent that the MMI system in my 2011 A8L was considered MMI 2G because it didn't have a wireless SIM slot. When I tried to explain to them that all MMI systems with 3D maps are considered 3rd generation and that those with the wireless SIM are "3G+ Connect" they became even less pleasant.

I contacted Ms. Yelena Crawford at the Audi Customer Care center at the North American HQ who assisted me in finding a resolution to my issues.

Crown Audi updated my A8L's system from this:

To this:

The Bluetooth connects much faster now. In fact both me and the salesperson originally had a great deal of difficulty in pairing my iPhones to the car on the old firmware. With the new firmware it was a breeze like it is supposed to be.

The Bose audio system does sound subjectively better. I don't have any objective measurements to compare the two but using both CD and Bluetooth audio I find the sound to be much clearer and balanced.

Finally, I am ecstatic that the Voice Command for the Navi now allows me to give a physical address in one complete sentence. Such as "1234 Michigan Drive, Anytown, Texas". Rather than chunk by chunk on the old firmware where it asked you to say the city, street, house number as separate commands. The all-in-one voice entry is a HUGE timesaver.

Anyway, I just started delving into my updated MMI system and am sure that there are plenty of other new features in there.

FWIW, my dealer documented the firmware update on my invoice as:

"47524 MMI update needed. Verify customers concern. Checked for TSB relating to concern and found TSB 2030465/6 which relates to concern. Performed update using CD and then SVM update according to code on CD. Performed hard reset of MMI system and checked operation of all system. Found all MMI systems to be working normal."
Old 07-08-2014, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got the old girl back after some hefty repairs on the gearbox mechatronics, and noticed they'd also update the MMI version to 770. Not noticed anything too different apart from I had to pair my phones again. Let's see how things go and if there are any visible changes.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Took my 2011 in for tire rotation and asked about the MMI update. I had no problem to report, the update was done but on the invoice it was noted I had a Bluetooth connectivity problem. I don't use it and never have. Possibly a complaint has to be expressed to update? In any event, it was worth it just to have the SIRIUS presets remain on start up and the improved surround effect on the BOSE. The nav. still seems slow to give initial directions when a destination is input.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

My dealer said there was no update for my car at all.

P0121

Seems fishy to me based on what I am seeing here...

EDIT: Mine is a 2011 A8L
Old 09-05-2014, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by needles
My dealer said there was no update for my car at all.

P0121

Seems fishy to me based on what I am seeing here...

EDIT: Mine is a 2011 A8L
Mine said the same.
Some just don't understand SVM, don't want to do non-profit work, or never check.

Will look for the TSB when I have time - we should all have it handy assuming it exists.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

As has been mentioned before, most dealers will require that a problem be given that the update would correct, I.e. poor Bose performance, before they can get it covered under warranty. I am not aware of any published TSBs that address casual updates of the MMI software.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
As has been mentioned before, most dealers will require that a problem be given that the update would correct, I.e. poor Bose performance, before they can get it covered under warranty. I am not aware of any published TSBs that address casual updates of the MMI software.
I did tell the dealer that Bluetooth was buzzing loudly for callers and that there was apparently an MMI update that addressed this. They told me that my car has the latest MMI, which appears to be complete hogwash.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

So does anyone know what the legit, most current version of MMI is for 2011's is? :O
Old 09-08-2014, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by needles
So does anyone know what the legit, most current version of MMI is for 2011's is? :O
I think in the US it is 7.15.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing that I have noticed is that if you play a media (video obviously), and you pause it for some reason, depending how long you pause it for, the sound begins to lose synch. In fairness, when I bought my wifes A6 C7 back in 2011 it has the same problem. Updated both cars and they still have the issue. Dealer said because they both have VIM, they can't investigate any further (note, VIM was enabled on the A6 at the dealers before we even received the car!).

Does anyone know how to enable VIM for Google Streetview btw ?

Quick Reply: Some Thoughts on MMI Version 7.15