A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats moving autonomously, MMI spontaneously resetting

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seats moving autonomously, MMI spontaneously resetting

Still loving the car - but noticed on my last drive from Los Angeles to Seattle that the driver and passenger seats both make very minor, almost difficult to detect adjustments completely on their own. From what we can gather it seems to be limited to side-bolster and lumbar movements, so no safety concerns as of now. (I have the massage/heated/ventilated seats if that matters)

Also the MMI has so far twice frozen up and reset in the middle of a drive. I don't know if I push it too hard with my 20 hour shifts or if perhaps there is a bug in the software. I also recall at least twice the MMI would not even open or turn on for at least a minute or two when turning on the car from a cold start.

Once I get home from this trip I will obviously take the car in for diagnostics, but since all I can do now is speculate - I'm curious if any of you have experienced oddities similar to this and if there was (hopefully) an easily rectifiable solution.

Thanks guys and happy holidays!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My bolsters do the same thing, mostly on the passenger side.
Haven't noticed the driver seat but I can always hear the subtle noise of the leather when it does it if nobody is in that seat.
Last weekend a passenger actually felt it happening and thought I did something...
We've speculated here that it has to do with Pre-Sense, but it's happened to me with no other vehicles around...

Never had my MMI freeze but have heard of others who have.
Mine will sometimes take a very long time to turn on - usually if I haven't driven in awhile.
The last time it happened it didn't pop up until I was just about to hit the button after leaving the neighborhood.

Last edited by jakematic; 12-03-2013 at 07:47 AM. Reason: added link to other thread
Old 12-03-2013, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for the reply jakematic.

Initially I also only noticed the noise/movement coming from the passenger side, but it did start on my seat during my last long drive. I'm happy to hear that it's somewhat common, and I do have all the ACC/pre-sense gadgetry, so it's not surprising if that is somehow the culprit.

Seems we all have an Audrey onboard, lol.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm going to have to take note of this with my car. I have to say I have not paid that much attention to it myself.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuesday
Still loving the car - but noticed on my last drive from Los Angeles to Seattle that the driver and passenger seats both make very minor, almost difficult to detect adjustments completely on their own. From what we can gather it seems to be limited to side-bolster and lumbar movements, so no safety concerns as of now. (I have the massage/heated/ventilated seats if that matters)

Also the MMI has so far twice frozen up and reset in the middle of a drive. I don't know if I push it too hard with my 20 hour shifts or if perhaps there is a bug in the software. I also recall at least twice the MMI would not even open or turn on for at least a minute or two when turning on the car from a cold start.

Once I get home from this trip I will obviously take the car in for diagnostics, but since all I can do now is speculate - I'm curious if any of you have experienced oddities similar to this and if there was (hopefully) an easily rectifiable solution.

Thanks guys and happy holidays!
Mine tend to have very slight bolster motions as well and most occurs at or shortly after the massage function times out. As you say, it is subtle. No MMI trouble on my '11. On every start, the screen is up and the radio is on the last preset immediately. On a few occasions, the back up camera is a tad slow.