A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 Navigation issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S8 Navigation issue

Picked up my new 2014 S8 last week. While sitting in the lot, the salesman was describing the features and started to demonstrate the navigation system. When he entered a destination and told it to go, the gages swept and the warning lights came on like the vehicle had shutdown, but it was still running. It then went back to normal. About 15 seconds later it did it again. This continued until he canceled the navigation. The car is in the shop now, but no codes were generated so they are running multiple test to find the cause.

Has anyone else had this problem and has a solution ?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by bnzvett
Picked up my new 2014 S8 last week. While sitting in the lot, the salesman was describing the features and started to demonstrate the navigation system. When he entered a destination and told it to go, the gages swept and the warning lights came on like the vehicle had shutdown, but it was still running. It then went back to normal. About 15 seconds later it did it again. This continued until he canceled the navigation. The car is in the shop now, but no codes were generated so they are running multiple test to find the cause.

Wow, is it my imagination, or are there more than a few MMI-related gremlins cropping up in new S8's recently? Strange. Haven't seen many of these posts related to the A8.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Wow, is it my imagination, or are there more than a few MMI-related gremlins cropping up in new S8's recently? Strange. Haven't seen many of these posts related to the A8.
My thoughts exactly.
Seems odd to me - there can't be that much of a difference between the two electrically.
Production moved to a different line/plant maybe ?
Old 08-29-2013, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
My thoughts exactly.
Seems odd to me - there can't be that much of a difference between the two electrically.
Production moved to a different line/plant maybe ?
I was wondering the same thing. We have had no problems of any kind with the MMI on our 2013 A8L and the load time for Google Maps, phone book etc. is almost instantaneous. 30 seconds maybe. I have been following the S8 threads and it has seemed like a disproportionate number of issues and complaints compared to the A8.

Last edited by BigBoy11; 08-29-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 08-29-2013, 08:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My big concern is , WHERE WAS YOUR DESTINATION.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I don't remeber the destination, it may have been the dealership (our current location at the time).

Service informed me today that they were overnighting a new instrument cluster from New Jersey. I guess the thinking is bad hardware.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Hopefully they've diagnosed the problem correctly. However, I'd consider telling them to delay submitting any registration info to the DMV until they've fixed the problem to your satisfaction. If you haven't actually taken physical (read: legal) possession of this car, then you may want to keep you options open and not accept it if the cluster replacement isn't successful. Just a thought.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Hopefully they've diagnosed the problem correctly. However, I'd consider telling them to delay submitting any registration info to the DMV until they've fixed the problem to your satisfaction. If you haven't actually taken physical (read: legal) possession of this car, then you may want to keep you options open and not accept it if the cluster replacement isn't successful. Just a thought.
I'll second this opinion.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no problems with the nav system on the '13 A8L I drove for 7 months and am having no problems with my '14 S8 I took delivery on last month. Also, no boot up problems or delays with either. Can't imagine that there is any difference between the systems.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bnzvett

I have a 2013 A8L love the car, but hate all of the problems am having. Too many electrical issues. So its not just the S8.

Quick Reply: S8 Navigation issue