A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Camera

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reverse Camera

I've found that it's very useful for backing out of a parking spot because it provides a considerable amount of vision to the side of the car. I often find myself parked between two SUV's (they're everywhere), which means I can't see a thing to either side and can only back out slowly. Having an L means a long, slow creep.

Thanks to the rear camera, I'm able to see a good bit to either side of the car's rear. A "backup" camera is useful. The fact that you can see to the sides has proven to be one of my favorite features.

I had an A6 loaner for a while with the "bird's eye" camera view. That also proved a lot more useful than I would've thought. The length of the L barely fits in the garage, so I have wood blocks in place to ensure the front bumper doesn't go through the sheetrock into the living room. (Actually, I have about a foot to spare, but it's a lot closer than with my A6's). With the "view from above", I wouldn't have needed my custom woodwork as guard rails.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfred2k5
I've found that it's very useful for backing out of a parking spot because it provides a considerable amount of vision to the side of the car. I often find myself parked between two SUV's (they're everywhere), which means I can't see a thing to either side and can only back out slowly. Having an L means a long, slow creep.

Thanks to the rear camera, I'm able to see a good bit to either side of the car's rear. A "backup" camera is useful. The fact that you can see to the sides has proven to be one of my favorite features.

I had an A6 loaner for a while with the "bird's eye" camera view. That also proved a lot more useful than I would've thought. The length of the L barely fits in the garage, so I have wood blocks in place to ensure the front bumper doesn't go through the sheetrock into the living room. (Actually, I have about a foot to spare, but it's a lot closer than with my A6's). With the "view from above", I wouldn't have needed my custom woodwork as guard rails.
The corner view is helpful for seeing around the corner before backing out from between 2 walls, as often happens in city driveways. Good to see if there are pedestrians or bikes on the sidewalk before backing or pulling out.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
The corner view is helpful for seeing around the corner before backing out from between 2 walls, as often happens in city driveways. Good to see if there are pedestrians or bikes on the sidewalk before backing or pulling out.
I just turned in a 740Li (2011) for an Audi A8L (2013, special order). There is no comparison between the two camera packages. both say they are something like "top view," or "corner view." the bmw only had front corner view.

the audi system is FAR superior, IMHO. the images are clearer, more precise, and not distorted. being able to easily switch from corner to rear view is great: start car in garage, put in reverse, start backing out with rear view. move the mmi dial one notch down and press it. now in rear corner view to see approaching pedestrians, and then approaching traffic. at any time move **** one knotch clockwise again, and when ready (rear is past sidewalk) press it again. now in straight rear view to make sure I don't hit a parked car on the far side of the street. shift to drive, camera view automatically switches to front view, and I am off. through this, if the sequence is correct, the rear shade pulls down when reversing, and then moves back up into place after driving forward. this is one of the most intuitive examples I will give people when they ask me about Audi vs. BMW tech.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys are killing me with this.
Even my SA took time to tell me about Top View cameras this week

It's the only thing I'd really like that's on the newer models.
Honestly rushed my purchase a little because my gut said a 4.2 was a safer bet than the new models.