A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RedLine 5W-40 For Audi A8 4.0T

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I would not do this/use this for an Audi under warranty unless specifically 502 approved. Said bluntly, it isn't worth any paper it won't even be written on what an SA says, or for that matter a service tech or even a service dep't mngr or dealership owner. Reason is Audi USA signs off on all big warranty claims, and anyone at dealership is powerless when/if the nightmare scenarios come up. A lot of stuff used to sail through, but not any more. On last several items I had under warranty that were big $$, it was clear local service advisor was not "checking with corporate" but apparently had to. With the TDI fraud and follow on debacle a lot has changed in the past couple of years on the warranty side, and they are trying to squeeze out cost any way they can.

On 4.0T's specifically, there are unexplained turbo blows, some at higher miles, some quite low and well within warranty. There are several theories as to why, some of which may involve oil or errors during oil changes. Running price if not warrantied is apparently about $9 grand for the new replacement turbo set that gets installed + labor. Or, said another way, about 100x the oil cost. Word also is when there is any doubt on the service history, the oil may even go out for analysis. You are only required to follow the 502 or 504 spec, as opposed to use dealer provided oil or changes. The dealer oil (Castrol Professional) also has a uV dye in it from what I understand.
Thanks MP4 the RedLine is VW 502 - 505 Spec oil. So still we gotta worry?
Old 12-13-2018, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamszalone
Thanks MP4 the RedLine is VW 502 - 505 Spec oil. So still we gotta worry?
Hmmm, not really how I read the thread. That is, it sounded more like somebody claimed it, as opposed to it is actually approved and listed in a real Audi/VW document.

Here is the list from the Audi USA web site: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...-1.22.2018.pdf I don't see it, or actually any of their products. I know they have a following and all that. But when it comes to warranty coverage and $9,000 turbo sets and $25K plus complete motors in nightmare scenarios, I don't second guess manufacturers. It's not worth it to me while under warranty, and honestly I don't trust anyone who is not willing to give me a flat out indemnity/written representation that leaves them fully on the hook to replace anything covered by warranty. Which is exactly what I have as long as I follow "the list" and service at least to the maintenance schedule requirements. Plenty of well regarded choices that are on "the list" anyway.

And yes, you will probably be fine, 95-99% of time. But lest you think I kid, here is what I continue to regard as the consolidated turn your stomach thread on the 4.0T that provides a variety of first person detail: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...goes-the-turbo My warranty was 4/50 and now is CPO. My back up and basic post warranty plan is more frequent oil changes, with Audi filters and oil on "the list." My long term go to oil tends to be the Mobil 1 0W40 mentioned elsewhere in thread, which is on the list" anyway.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-13-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I follow several car forums and I'm always fascinated how people make simple things so difficult. You open the owner's manual and you read what is approved. Most recently this came up with my Cayenne. I needed a quart of oil, and of course the "Official" oil for most German cars sold in the U.S. is Mobil 1. But I read the manual and it said that any A3 approved oil, regardless of manufacturer was acceptable and it was acceptable to mix brands. Why make this so hard. Read the manual and follow what it says.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chances of the manufacturer NOT recommending the best possible oil for the application, very very very slim. Chances of you seriously screwing something up by using something other than the recommended, high.

Look at it this way, if your turbos blow or your engine gives out and you used some other oil than what was recommended, how horrible are you going to feel? It might be an issue completely unrelated to oil engine oil, yet you are going to question whether that was the cause or not.

As others have said: Mobil 1/Castrol VW 502 00, this is what is called for in the manual and this is what you should use.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One more opinion...Redline oil was initially developed for racing applications. It's expensive for a reason and they were up front that they had less cleaning agents than road going synthetic oils. This makes for better racing durability and is acceptable because one normally changes the oil out after every race. Less detergent for road going cars is not good. Leads to sludge build up over time.
I've used Mobil 1 since the beginning. Most racers use Mobil 1 in their race cars too! Yes, I've been known to frequent Walmart in my A8L stocking up on Mobil 1!
Old 12-17-2018, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

RedLine I know is racing oil but nowhere it says it cant be used on a street driven car, Redline does says on their website >>
  • High detergency allows extended drain intervals and provides increased cleanliness
So are they wrong or we wrong with our assumptions? I know we shouldn't be using anything which does not has Manufacturer approval but there is no law which says you only have to use Manufacturer approved oils.

Anyway its a debatable topic, and all high end car owners like Audi\Mercedes wont drive their cars past 10Yrs OR 150,000 miles, either they will sell or trade. Turbo's getting shot is high possibility because of bad Oil, but do they also get shot even if you use right weight and specification oil???? Thats the answer I been looking from other owners if they have been able to use Redline or other oils in their car.

Fyi :- I ended up using RedLine oil because it was Identical\Similar to Mobil 1 in the specs but the major difference was the Base Stock of Group V which Mobil hasn't disclosed ever which I feel make me believe they use some sh1ty Base Stock of Group III. Apart from that there is nothing fancy to go with RedLine the consistency or slickness of their Oil is much better than Mobil1 atleast I felt it when I compared with my left over Mobil 1.