A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&O or not

Old 12-04-2010, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&O or not

I still have time to modify my order. The B&O is tempting, but the price is almost a joke plus my dealer told me that the B&O won't add much resale value to the car, so should I get it?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by jayshoes
I still have time to modify my order. The B&O is tempting, but the price is almost a joke plus my dealer told me that the B&O won't add much resale value to the car, so should I get it?
The B&O set up sounds very nice, but to my tin ear not $6,300 nicer than the stock Bose---which IMO sounds quite good also. Depends on how much of an audiophile you are---and how much you've been seduced by the motor driven tweeters ;^)
Old 12-05-2010, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You need to consider your audio sources. The B&O will sound best when playing CDs, but if your audi source is Sat Radio / iPod / iPhone the sound improvement if not as obvious.

I have the Lexus ML system in my LS460 and when playing CDs is incredible, but playing from iPhone is no better than the Bose in my 2008 A6
Old 12-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

or.....if you want to listen to 5.1 audio the B & O rocks! I love listening to live concert DVD's while I drive.

I had an Infiniti M45 a few years ago that had a Bose 5.1 system, and compared to my new A8L with the B & O, it's not even close. If you like to "feel" you music while you listen to it the B & O is unbelievable.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

...plus my dealer told me that the B&O won't add much resale value to the car, so should I get it?
It was a must have feature when I was looking for my D3 so that's not entirely accurate. I've seen others looking for D3's in the past saying the same.

Granted, next time I'll definitely want to do a side by side comparison between the B&O and Bose. The D3 Bose system was really good from my recollection with my 2004 A8L. I'm not so sure the B&O in the W12 is significantly better.

Ask your dealer to arrange for a side by side comparison for you and remind them it's an opportunity for them to sell a $6300 option.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

As others have already stated, it all depends on the audio sources you use the most, as well as how well "tuned" your ear. If you can listen to the B&O and Bose systems on a side-by-side test basis, that is the best way. IMO, comparisons of others' Bose experiences in a non-D4 A8 environment should be discounted, since the Bose setup is also tuned to the A8's interior acustics and will sound different in another manufacturer's vehicle (or even in other Audi model). My own experience is that, while the B&O is very nice, I happen to like the Bose set-up just fine in the A8---and have not wanted to have potential hassles with vibrating/rattling/non-functioning pop-up tweeters.

As for re-sale value, while it's true that some buyers may be specifically hunting B&O optioned A8s, I don't believe that there's a significant TRADE-IN bounce you'd get from a dealer or wholesaler---but yes, there could be some advantage for a private sale, but how much you'd be able to re-coup from that $6,300 up-front investment I couldn't say.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

According to KBB, a 2009 A8L with 15,000 miles; The B&O options adds a whopping $250.00 to the trade-in value in all three condition categories. I sampled it in both an East and West coast zip code. $400 added value on a resale to a private party. Buy it for the feature to use. Not for any sort of resale value.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Had it in our 07. Was great w/ certain media but in the cost/value ratio, it was the one option we felt was a bad purchase. We are more than pleased w/the base system on the D4. Now, where we WOULD appreciate it is on the new Mercedes gull wing sports car - it's standard of course, and looks as good as it sounds.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

While you might lose some quality from Satellite radio, iPods are notorious for their higher quality circuitry and coupled with the higher bitrate songs that are now standard in iTunes, the iPod is every bit as good as, if not slightly better, than a CD in terms of overall sound quality.

As for Bose vs B&O. I've heard the B&O in the D4 and have a Bose system in my D3. Taking into account the cost of replacement parts, road noise decreasing any perceived difference in sound quality and overall price... I'd stick with the Bose if it was my money.

And I have been seduced by the tweeters!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Based on the systems in the D3, if you care about music the B&O is money well spent. On CD's and on lossless mp3 via Ipod/AMI the sound difference is dramatic. The Bose sounds fine - the B&O is the best stock car stereo I have ever heard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: B&O or not