A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions from a new 2017 S8 owner…

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 04:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions from a new 2017 S8 owner…

Hi all,

I’m new to the forum, and have already learned much from my many visits, so thanks for that.

About three months ago, I purchased a 2017 S8+. Picture attached. Super comfy and hauls butt. But you already know that. I’m not entirely new to Audi, but it has been a while. I owned a 2000 S4 Avant back in the day.

Anyhow, like other new owners, I have encountered some issues/questions, some of which others might have encountered as well, so I thought I’d check with the community. I’ll be taking the car in for service in the next couple of weeks to try to take care of some of these things.

1. I have noticed that when I depress the brake pedal, it clicks each time. It’s surprisingly loud at times and pretty annoying. Has anyone had this issue in their car? The click occurs after about 1 inch of travel and occurs whether the car is on or not. The click can be so loud that it sounds like it is coming from the top of the dash. The only time it doesn’t happen, as far as I can tell, is when the car is stopped facing up on a hill. Anyhow, I’d love to get rid of this noise, so any help/experience in this area would be much appreciated.

2. My car appears to have the 1200 rpm vibration issue. I notice it most when I am driving about 35 mph and then take my foot off the gas and coast. Thus, this appears to occur while driving about 35 mph, and what I think is always M6 gear. I know this has been written about to death, but I was surprised that a 2017 car still has it. Anyhow, the dealer is well aware of this issue, so I guess they’ll try the programming and then the downpipes if needed, depending on what my car already has (Oct 2016 build). I just wondered if other people with recent builds were having this problem.

3. My front passenger seat, most likely the headrest, has one heck of a rattle in it, which has gotten worse over time (thankfully, as it is easy to reproduce). Not sure if this has happened to anyone. It doesn’t take much to make it rattle. Any who, I have no idea what could rattle in there, but the dealer is planning to remove it and see if the noise goes away. If so, then I guess we’ll end up replacing the headrest. There is also a buzz/rattle in the driver side seatbelt assembly, in the B pillar. I think they are going to put some felt tape in there. So that should be a quick fix. The MMI screen sometimes rattles too. Have any of you done the felt tape thing for that?

4. This last thing might be normal, but when I drive the car with the moonroof fully closed, but the moonroof shade open, the wind noise is louder than I thought it would be. When the car hits 20+ mph, I start to hear what sounds like a whistle-type sound. If I close the shade, then it muffles the whistle noise. Do you all have that noise as well, when the shade is open? I ask only because my last car, a 2008 M3, had a moonroof with a shade too and it had effectively zero wind noise when the shade was open. So I was quite surprised to hear it in this car.

Thanks in advance,

T
Attached Thumbnails -img_5523.jpg  
Old 06-12-2017, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 492 Posts

Fortunately for me with a 2015, none of those issues in my S8. I do have a loose plastic cover from something under the passenger seat floating around on my floor, but suspect I just need to look under to see where it clips in. You mentioned your noise is much higher up.

A fair # of yours sound pretty easy to reproduce, and dealers are usually pretty good with those.

On sunshade BTW, I don't notice much difference open or closed until highway type speeds. I do find the fake exhaust sound gets a little tiring on highway over the hours, so if I think about it I may close the sunroof shade while going into Drive Select (Indiv. mode is what I usually use) and switching to lowest exhaust sound setting.

The one noise mine has is sort of a slight grinding noise from steering wheel. Most obvious when car is cold, right on start up with no tunes creating background noise to conceal it. It is not a rubber grommet/bushing type noise or squeak which is the subject of a TSB. I suspect it is the clock spring and steering angle sensor right behind steering wheel. I forgot to bring it up at my recent annual service appt.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-12-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tgomezS8
Hi all,

I’m new to the forum, and have already learned much from my many visits, so thanks for that.

About three months ago, I purchased a 2017 S8+. Picture attached. Super comfy and hauls butt. But you already know that. I’m not entirely new to Audi, but it has been a while. I owned a 2000 S4 Avant back in the day.

Anyhow, like other new owners, I have encountered some issues/questions, some of which others might have encountered as well, so I thought I’d check with the community. I’ll be taking the car in for service in the next couple of weeks to try to take care of some of these things.

1. I have noticed that when I depress the brake pedal, it clicks each time. It’s surprisingly loud at times and pretty annoying. Has anyone had this issue in their car? The click occurs after about 1 inch of travel and occurs whether the car is on or not. The click can be so loud that it sounds like it is coming from the top of the dash. The only time it doesn’t happen, as far as I can tell, is when the car is stopped facing up on a hill. Anyhow, I’d love to get rid of this noise, so any help/experience in this area would be much appreciated.

2. My car appears to have the 1200 rpm vibration issue. I notice it most when I am driving about 35 mph and then take my foot off the gas and coast. Thus, this appears to occur while driving about 35 mph, and what I think is always M6 gear. I know this has been written about to death, but I was surprised that a 2017 car still has it. Anyhow, the dealer is well aware of this issue, so I guess they’ll try the programming and then the downpipes if needed, depending on what my car already has (Oct 2016 build). I just wondered if other people with recent builds were having this problem.

3. My front passenger seat, most likely the headrest, has one heck of a rattle in it, which has gotten worse over time (thankfully, as it is easy to reproduce). Not sure if this has happened to anyone. It doesn’t take much to make it rattle. Any who, I have no idea what could rattle in there, but the dealer is planning to remove it and see if the noise goes away. If so, then I guess we’ll end up replacing the headrest. There is also a buzz/rattle in the driver side seatbelt assembly, in the B pillar. I think they are going to put some felt tape in there. So that should be a quick fix. The MMI screen sometimes rattles too. Have any of you done the felt tape thing for that?

4. This last thing might be normal, but when I drive the car with the moonroof fully closed, but the moonroof shade open, the wind noise is louder than I thought it would be. When the car hits 20+ mph, I start to hear what sounds like a whistle-type sound. If I close the shade, then it muffles the whistle noise. Do you all have that noise as well, when the shade is open? I ask only because my last car, a 2008 M3, had a moonroof with a shade too and it had effectively zero wind noise when the shade was open. So I was quite surprised to hear it in this car.

Thanks in advance,

T
Interesting, my car is a 2016 S8 Plus, one of the earliest here but all the above issues are absent.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have that whistle noise. I was going to try to re-seat & lubricate the seals but haven't poked around there yet.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Questions from a new 2017 S8 owner…

About that rattle on your passenger seat........I had a 2014 S8 and now drive a 2017 A8 4.0t. I had the rattle from time to time, and discovered it was just a matter of how the seat belt (unfastened) was resting against the edge of the seat. Try repositioning the seat belt.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ScottyD4
About that rattle on your passenger seat........I had a 2014 S8 and now drive a 2017 A8 4.0t. I had the rattle from time to time, and discovered it was just a matter of how the seat belt (unfastened) was resting against the edge of the seat. Try repositioning the seat belt.
Ditto. I would find that the metal clasp of the seat belt would rattle against the door if it was not positioned right.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Ive had #2...... and fixed under CPO with just the pipes replaced, no motor mount software.

I have #4..... Not a whistle, but noticeable wind noise.

(btw, previous B5 S4 and E92 M3 owner here too!) I miss the M3, lol
Old 06-14-2017, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a new s8 plus in January of this year and have none of those problems, although I've never opened the sunroof. Good luck with repairs. Regards. Ned.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome to the world of the S8+. I also just purchased a 2017 S8+ (Daytona Grey like yours) but haven't driven it much yet (waiting for paint correction, clear bra work to be complete). Were the problems you described present as soon as you acquired the car, or did it develop over time (how many miles do you have on it now)?
Old 06-14-2017, 08:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottyD4
Thanks very much for the suggestion. I actually did also encounter that rattle at one point but like you did I discovered it was the seatbelt. My rattle differs and it occurs even when I hold the seatbelt in my hand or buckle the seat belt in the passenger seat. Basically, I think what is happening is that when the passenger seat wiggles due to imperfections in the road, something plastic or metal or both is banging around in the headrest or the seat itself. Hopefully it's just the headrest. I'll be taking the car in next week and I'll report back.

Quick Reply: Questions from a new 2017 S8 owner…