A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new A8

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot how nice the front/grill looks on the A8 - I live in a state where front plates are required - no getting around how it breaks up the front end architecturally. BTW, some custom floor mats in a vary dark autumn gold would create a nice interior look and certainly w/ the interior city lighting at 40%.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Be careful with the front bumper

Originally Posted by coupeboy
I picked it up a few days ago from Barrier Audi in Bellevue, WA. I came from an '05 A6, so this is a major jump in quality.

Full spec:

2012 A8
Quartz Gray exterior
Nougat Brown interior
20" parallel spoke wheels
Premium Pkg
Cold Weather Pkg
Driver Assistance Pkg
Convenience Pkg
Leather Pkg
Full LED headlights
Power rear side sunshades
Solar sunroof

I think the sound quality of the bose system has improved between the '11 and '12 models. Something about Bose Wave I think the salesman said, but it's noticeably different to my ears.

Everything is good so far, though if I had one gripe it'd be that it doesn't shift down that smoothly from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop.

I'm looking forward to getting some more miles on it so I can open it up a little. The seat massage and heating functions are amazing, and make commuting a pleasure. It's also leagues quieter than my A6 was, and a way more comfortable ride, even on the Auto setting.

The car is also very big! it has a high belt line, so visibility is taking some getting used to, both through the rear window, and over the sides of the doors. I find I can't see close curbs very well, despite my head being an inch from the headliner.

I'm going to add a clear bra next week, and want to tint, but don't know what % to get yet. I like the look of the car as is, but my last Audi had 20% tint and it looked great on Oyster Gray metallic. Not sure how good it would look on Quartz gray though. Does anyone have pics?

That's it for now, enjoy the pictures!
I too just bought a new A8L. I've had serious issues, first a broken MMI, then twice now the ACC has broken due to slight scrapes to the underside of the bumper. Be very carful with parking blocks, ice, anything that touches that bumper and it's toast. $600 to realign the tires as part of the repair procedure. If you saw my front bumper you would say it looks flawless. Beware. This is an extremely poor deign from Audi.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maddog4200
I too just bought a new A8L. I've had serious issues, first a broken MMI, then twice now the ACC has broken due to slight scrapes to the underside of the bumper. Be very carful with parking blocks, ice, anything that touches that bumper and it's toast. $600 to realign the tires as part of the repair procedure. If you saw my front bumper you would say it looks flawless. Beware. This is an extremely poor deign from Audi.
wow, thats good to know about the bumper. Is this an '11 or '12? If it were a '12 you'd think they would have changed up a bit. I am still not sure about an A8. I found a fabulous '11 with low miles, fully loaded for an amazing price. But I just dont know. I have had a 2011 S4 for a year and had some DSG issues, BNO amp ssues, etc. The rear plastic around my S4 trunk bars are a poor and cheap design (they have been replaced twice already) so I am losing confidence in AUDI

I have been in so many A8's (I think dealers are getting tired of me - lol) and by now, I have started to notice some cheap A8 design too. The A8 front grille is dirt cheap plastic. I still love the car, especially the cabin!. But the sub-par quality can be seen after making enough visits and spending enough time in the showroom and test driving the car. I just dont know if I want to give up the Lexus quality. Even though I think the A8 is better looking all around and even drives more stable, its really a tough choice and IMO, is a risk. Its too bad, the A8 is a sweet looking car

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 02-22-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Yea Snow
Forgot how nice the front/grill looks on the A8 - I live in a state where front plates are required - no getting around how it breaks up the front end architecturally. BTW, some custom floor mats in a vary dark autumn gold would create a nice interior look and certainly w/ the interior city lighting at 40%.
I live in a state that doesnt require front plate and I agree, its a nice looking grille without the plate. But what if you bought a pre-owned from a state that required the front plate? Is there a way to restore it to the original look without ruining it to accomodate a state that does not require font plates?