A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Music on SD card? Impossible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Music on SD card? Impossible?

Let me preface this post with an acknowledgment that I have read as many SD card posts as I could and still cannot get my SD card to function. I have a A8L. I am using a PNY64g SD card. At first I just dragged the music files (Rolling Stones Top 500 Albums for you curious types) to the SD. Unreadable in the car. I then dragged them from my ITunes as suggested. Unreadable. (My usb drive works fine, a simple drag and drop to them worked).

I have windows 7. How do I move my music to my SD card? Is there a limit on the number of songs per card? (Conflicting posts). Some posts mention copying the entire file path to the SD card. How do I do that? Is that the answer?

Great site. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As I understand it you can use up to 32gb per slot and up to 1000 tracks per folder, if there are more than 1000 tracks just split them into separate folders. I have done this with my D4 using MP3 files.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wish somewhere, anywhere in my manual it mentioned the 32g limit as I just bought and used two 64g cards! Thanks for the help.

Also, outside of showing friends my the cool infa-red, no use yet.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pages 24-25 on the MMI manual have a table which details the 32g limitation.

Audi 1 Me 0
Old 12-30-2014, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

No problem, I knew I had read it somewhere.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mariociri
I just bought and used two 64g cards!
Did the same thing when I got mine...
Totally sidetracked my well planned layout, but I ended up copying a lot to the jukebox anyway.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

32GB works well and is noted in owners manual; using one 32GB now w/ 21GB of music calculated at 6000 cuts; drove to FLA and listened to 20-30% (have Serius too);
Jukebox has 30 CDs in, still has ~90 to go...
Old 01-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had no problem...on Win 7 ... Just made a folder on the SD and dragged my music to it. In the car, just searched for the folder and enjoyed he music.

Did the same with some audio books for an upcoming long trip.

Tried to load mp4 movies but couldn't get them to play. Manual says they should so maybe I've made them too high res.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pwrshift
Tried to load mp4 movies but couldn't get them to play. Manual says they should so maybe I've made them too high res.
I have loaded up an SD card with music videos and Audi related videos (like Truth In 24) and have been playing them just fine in my car.

My videos have been encoded in 640x360, MPEG-4, H.264, AAC

I know it's not the greatest resolution but its OK for the MMI display.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mariociri
Let me preface this post with an acknowledgment that I have read as many SD card posts as I could and still cannot get my SD card to function. I have a A8L. I am using a PNY64g SD card. At first I just dragged the music files (Rolling Stones Top 500 Albums for you curious types) to the SD. Unreadable in the car. I then dragged them from my ITunes as suggested. Unreadable. (My usb drive works fine, a simple drag and drop to them worked).

I have windows 7. How do I move my music to my SD card? Is there a limit on the number of songs per card? (Conflicting posts). Some posts mention copying the entire file path to the SD card. How do I do that? Is that the answer?

Great site. Thanks in advance.

I don't know if this is your issue but I have experienced that 320 kbps can be a problem. Anything with 128 kbps or 160 will play while approaching lossless music at the higher 328 can have issues. But I also know this is not just an issue with the AUDI Player. I have tried playing a few 328 kbps songs on my mp3 player used as an input device to my home sound system

What happens is the mp3 player tries to play the song and then skips it. I am not sure why. So highlight your mouse over your file and see what the downwnloaded kbps is. I don't like 128. I prefer atleast 196 or higher but 128 gives me no issues

BTW, I have had bad exprience with PNY SD CARDS. I had Purchased a twin pack of 8 PNY GB Cards and each time I copy music or files the OS would at times lose id with the media. So you can copy a few files but as soon as you copy a larger number of files, the OS would issue a "Media not ready" error message. This happened with both PNY cards in XP and windows 7 OS'S. I switched to Lexar and file copying was no longer an issue. PNY SD Sux

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 01-09-2015 at 07:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Music on SD card? Impossible?