A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launch control

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Launch control

Does the 3.0L diesel have launch control? I tried putting it in dynamic, esc off and then left foot on the brake and right foot on the throttle but it didn't work as expected. Am I missing something

​​​​
Old 07-16-2018, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

What did you expect?
Old 07-16-2018, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was expecting it to hold the revs at a certain level and pull away when I lifted off the brake but it reved higher and was wanting to go so I let my foot off the brake
Old 07-16-2018, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Davey,

Sounds to me like you have what you need even if your car doesn't have launch control.

With your left foot on the brake and your right foot on the gas your car (engine) has a load on it which allows it to make boost. Once the boost comes up and wants to move the car then letting off the brake is all that's left. Sitting there any longer is just putting undo heat into the gearbox and engine.

Last edited by andrewmr; 07-18-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davey_b
I was expecting it to hold the revs at a certain level and pull away when I lifted off the brake but it reved higher and was wanting to go so I let my foot off the brake
I know the S8 has that function but not sure it is enabled on the A8. It may be able to be turned on via VCDS but I am not certain.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by viggense
I know the S8 has that function but not sure it is enabled on the A8. It may be able to be turned on via VCDS but I am not certain.
I’m not 100% certain if the S8 has launch control. I recently bought a 2015 S8 tiptronic and when I try launch control it doesn’t work like it does on all other S lines. I’ve test drove S7s prior to my purchase and the launch control was working solid. Same as my buddies S4. “Launching” the standard S8 feels the same as “launching” any other basic car that doesn’t have launch control. Or am I missing something here? Lol
Old 07-17-2018, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2015 S8 and unlike the S4 that I've owned, there's not a process. I step on the brake with the left, right foot though the floor. Let off the brake. Launches at about 2,500 rpm if I recall correctly. The key is to get the boost up so you mitigate turbo lag. I'm usually in dynamic mode (and in sport mode) so I'm not certain if this is a requirement.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

You're correct. It shuts the fuel off. There is no launch control. Its designed to help you(us) from breaking something. Once you put the APR tune on it, you can do it. The tune changes the computer allowing that and eliminates the the top speed govern. I have the tune, its great.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I am aware the only Audi models with "Launch Control" as a feature are the cars with Twin Clutch Transmissions. Im pretty sure that the 3.0 A8 uses the ZF 8 speed traditional automatic, and would thus not have launch control. Holding your foot on the break and gas at the same time is thus not launch control its just putting stress on your transmission and breaks, but it would make you launch harder.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trust93

I’m not 100% certain if the S8 has launch control. I recently bought a 2015 S8 tiptronic and when I try launch control it doesn’t work like it does on all other S lines. I’ve test drove S7s prior to my purchase and the launch control was working solid. Same as my buddies S4. “Launching” the standard S8 feels the same as “launching” any other basic car that doesn’t have launch control. Or am I missing something here? Lol
That would be because I'm pretty sure the S8 has the ZF 8 speed single clutch and thus does not have launch control

Quick Reply: Launch control