A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Noise as MMI Screen Opens up

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it drive me nuts? Absolutely! However, for over a year now I had 3-4 clicks when the screens goes down. Life gets busy and my fancy car problems had to wait.
I've looked number of times on ebay previously but all the gears I could find were for D3.
Today I spent more time looking and it seems that D4 has only 1 replacement gear. Can some one please confirm?
Here is one example.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13352799790...MakeTrack=true
Thanks

Old 10-28-2023, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EngineeringTruth
I found a solution that permanently keeps the MMI screen in the open position. This youtube video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK0hpSDa0Dw helped with instructions to remove the MMI screen assembly from the dash. Once removed I could see what the issue was.
A pinion gear rides up and down a stationary gear rack as the MMI screen opens and closes. The gear rack is cut out of plastic that makes up part of the MMI assembly unit. However the base of the gear rack has developed a small crack from what I reckon to be the repeated force exerted on it by the pinion gear as it rides up and down the rack. So now, as the pinion moves and nears the end of its travel on the rack, it opens the crack at the base of the pinion wider causing the pinion to loose traction because the rack has moved away from it when it should have been stationary; and because the pinion momentarily do not have anything preventing it from snapping back into its designed position, it does so and the pinion and gear meshes again, hence the repeated noise I had described in my original post.
My initial intention with the disassembly was to determine what was wrong and determine if it was something I could fix; or something that will require buying a new or used MMI screen unit.
On further examination though, I noticed there are three wire harnesses going into different parts of the MMI screen unit. One of the harnesses plugs into a connector next to the electric motor controlling the motion of the screen. I unplugged that connector to see what will happened. Power to the motor was cut off. However power to everything else remained. I tested the buttons on the dash that control the MMI. All worked as designed except for the one that controls opening and closing the screen which no longer does so. Only now it toggles the screen off and on, which I now realize is the secondary function of the button.
I carefully re-assembled the MMI screen unit, with the screen in open position. Then with OBD-Eleven I scanned for fault codes. I had several but I recognized that except for one code, all others were related to dissembling and re-assembling the dash. I cleared the fault codes, then re-scanned. Only one fault code remained and as expected it was the one related to disconnecting power to the MMI screen motor.
It has now been 3 weeks and about 700 miles since the fix. Other than the MMI screen now permanently in the up (open) position everything work as before the fix.
I looked on Ebay to see what a used MMI assembly could cost. The only complete unit I found was over $400. For a D3, the same thing is $100+. Since I intend to keep the car for at least another 3 years, I reckon when I'm ready to sell, there will be more used D4 MMI screen unit available for much less than $400. I could then buy one and swap with current unit or just disclose what I have done to the buyer.
Hello,
I know this thread is old but did you drive assist or engine level stopped working after this?
Did your vehicle read the accurate oil level after disconnecting that plug? Thanks!
Old 10-29-2023, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi Jesse
Hello,
I know this thread is old but did you drive assist or engine level stopped working after this?
Did your vehicle read the accurate oil level after disconnecting that plug? Thanks!
Things worked and still work over 6 years later as described in my solution. The harness I disconnected only supplies power to the electric motor that drives the screen. It does not affect any other component.
Old 10-29-2023, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Things worked and still work over 6 years later as described in my solution. The harness I disconnected only supplies power to the electric motor that drives the screen. It does not affect any other component.
Thanks for confirming, the only reason I asked its because after I disconnected that plug my screen stays up, everything since to be working fine except my drive assist. When I go to the drive assist it saids future not available…I also noticed that my sensors stopped working and rear camera no longer works.
Maybe is a sensor issue. Also the plug I unplugged is the one that connects to that motor I believe there where 3 or 4 different cables on that plug?
Old 10-29-2023, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Audi Jesse
Thanks for confirming, the only reason I asked its because after I disconnected that plug my screen stays up, everything since to be working fine except my drive assist. When I go to the drive assist it saids future not available…I also noticed that my sensors stopped working and rear camera no longer works.
Maybe is a sensor issue. Also the plug I unplugged is the one that connects to that motor I believe there where 3 or 4 different cables on that plug?
What Year, Make and Model is you Audi?

Old 10-29-2023, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

What Year, Make and Model is you Audi?
It’s a 2012 Audi A8 4.2L with 87,020 miles
Old 10-31-2023, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Same year as mine. I did not experience the issues you are having. Scan ?
Old 11-02-2023, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

While noting above that the rack itself can crack, we now have cogweels for D4...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32791049267.html

3 cogwheel options for D4 now - A, B & C.
I assume A & B are the same but nylon vs. brass.
I would not get brass again, it made the screen movement sound very unrefined on my D3

Last edited by snapdragon; 11-02-2023 at 08:24 AM.