A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Since the Xpel is invisible to the eye, a photo will show...nothing.
Correct, if it's a custom wrap, it won't.
But if it's a computerized precut crap it certainly will.
As somebody stated previously, front grille could be a challenge on S8.
So, me asking for a pic is justified.

Btw, I did a full Xpel wrap on my other car with Eddie at Detailing Dynamics in Long Island, So i know how quality work should look like.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

It does sound like this installer is pounding away on the cash register. Technically, in most states, tax should only be charged on materials, not the labor which is at least 2/3rds of the cost. This is starting to smell like old fish. I'd shop around if you can.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tx170754
Yes it can, I would first buy some paint and fix the chips then go to a certified Xpel guy and let him do the job....just send an email if you want more info.
Good luck !

If you put touch up paint on the car, then you need to wait about a month or so before doing film over it. Fresh paint will cause air bubbles under the film as it dries and outgasses. I made that mistake on my S6. It's not terrible but it does bother me every time I wash the bumper and see the bubbles I caused with my impatience.

Same is true if you get a car painted. When I got my used Mercedes it had holes drilled in the front bumper by the previous owner for his license plate. I got the holes filled and bumper painted. I had to wait a month before getting my XPel and Modesta done.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Technically, in most states, tax should only be charged on materials, not the labor which is at least 2/3rds of the cost..
Sadly, most of the film installers I've seen all do the same thing.... charging sales tax on the entire bill including labor, rather than just the materials.

I'm not sure if it is ignorance of the tax law, or if they are fully aware of the difference between products and services and are just illegally padding their profit. Or perhaps they just don't want people knowing what the cost of the film actually is, because the majority of the expense is labor?

I tried explaining this to an installer once, and he was arguing with me over it. Since I'm an accountant by profession and do this for a living I should know... haha. Regardless, I doubt I changed his business practices with the revelation.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What price range can I expect for doing basically the front 1/3 of the car with Xpel? Full hood, full front bumper, mirrors, headlights and full fender and A-pillars?

As stated before I was quoted $945 for 18" hood, fenders, mirrors, A-pillars, headlights, fog lights (even though my car doesn't have it), full front bumper, and all 4 door cups. It's a package deal they have, maybe I can replace door cups and fog lights for rocker panels or something if I decide 1/3 of the car is to expensive. Seems like if I do 24" hood it's $995. Not sure where they have the cut off for the fender on these, most likely where the hood ends would be my guess.

Also another question if full fenders are done what do they do about the S-Line badge?

Also I have no idea why these pictures are sideways.

Last edited by Strife1013; 08-01-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I was quoted $900 for the bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors and head lights, I have decided to only do the bumper for $400, they charged tax on the entire bill....but what you can do, there is only one installer where I live, at least he did a nice job.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
If you put touch up paint on the car, then you need to wait about a month or so before doing film over it. Fresh paint will cause air bubbles under the film as it dries and outgasses. I made that mistake on my S6. It's not terrible but it does bother me every time I wash the bumper and see the bubbles I caused with my impatience.

Same is true if you get a car painted. When I got my used Mercedes it had holes drilled in the front bumper by the previous owner for his license plate. I got the holes filled and bumper painted. I had to wait a month before getting my XPel and Modesta done.
It's true about waiting 30 days or so before applying film or paint coatings after new paint. However, if a car is painted and cured in a bake booth, 2 or 3 days is all that's needed. After my collision repair last summer I researched this with the Audi collision center manager, paint manager and my custom detailer. They all agreed that since my repairs included paint that was put through the bake process, that it would be ok. I brought my car in to the detailer 3 days after the car was repaired and Xpel and Opti-Coat were applied over the newly painted sections. One year later and there have been no issues.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tx170754
I was quoted $900 for the bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors and head lights, I have decided to only do the bumper for $400, they charged tax on the entire bill....but what you can do, there is only one installer where I live, at least he did a nice job.
Was that quote for full bumper, hood, and fenders?
Old 07-31-2016, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

An Xpel Ultimate full hood can run close to $600 all by itself. An expensive 60" roll is needed to cover a full hood in a single piece.