A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Audi. Front plate question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Audi. Front plate question.

Just got my first Audi, a 2015 S8, a couple of weeks ago. I'm loving the car. Anyway my plates arrived today and I have a question about mounting the front plate. My car came with the front plate holder but there are no screw holes to mount the plate. Does the holder have to be drilled or is there another piece to the mount that the dealer didn't give me?

I appreciate any help.
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2014, 06:59 AM
Banned

The holder should have small holes drilled into it that match up to the holes in the plate. And self-tapping screws are used to hold the plate to the bracket. A closer picture of your holder would show if those holes are drilled or not. You shouldn't have to drill anything to mount the license plate. Look in the glove box or trunk for what would be a very small baggie of screws, that might be what you need. Otherwise the dealer would mount that on at no charge. The lot guys do this work daily.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking at a 2015 S8. Please let me know what you like about the car, and what you were driving previously.

Is that Daytona Pearl Gray? It looks very sharp!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here's a closer photo. No holes drilled and didn't get any screws with the car. Problem is my dealer is 100 miles away so I can't just run up there. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I previously had a 2011 f150 platinum and a 2013 ZL1 Camaro. Traded them both for the S8.
I chose the S8 for the performance, styling, and the interior. I have the designer Vermont Brown interior and it is absolutely incredible. I also considered the CLS AMG S but in the end what I would lose in comfort, interior quality (not that there is anything wrong with the MB, but it pales by comparison to the S8, and tech/comfort wasn't worth a few tenths of quicker acceleration in the MB. And yes that is the Daytona Gray Pearl.

Originally Posted by scottphillip
I am looking at a 2015 S8. Please let me know what you like about the car, and what you were driving previously.

Is that Daytona Pearl Gray? It looks very sharp!
Old 07-29-2014, 09:36 AM
Banned

I went out to ask a tech that I recently did hand out one of those license plate holders to. Turns out they don't come with any holes, and the screws that are included are only to mount the holder to the grill.
Anyway, you will have to drill the holes to mount your license plate to the holder. The techs just center it up, mark the holes and drill the appropriate size hole for the screws they use. You should try to find a screw with a wide head, built in washer to cover up the large holes that are in any plate frame you might use.

So you didn't need a pickup any longer? For me, when I've been without one it always seems like I find myself owning another. I like your choice in cars though!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or just do what I do and don't run front plates. Remove the license plate holder and throw it in the trunk. Much cleaner. It's a risk in Texas, but most LEOs will tell you to just get it fixed. Tell them the dealer forgot to mount it
Old 07-30-2014, 12:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I took mine off. Looks way better.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is my first time without a truck in years. Hopefully I won't miss it too much. If I do, I'll probably end up getting something used. I've always really like the second gen K5 Blazers.

Anyway, I'll be going without the plate for now. Took the tag holder off. Figure I'll run it this way until I get a ticket.

Originally Posted by Jeff-AudiUSAParts
I went out to ask a tech that I recently did hand out one of those license plate holders to. Turns out they don't come with any holes, and the screws that are included are only to mount the holder to the grill.
Anyway, you will have to drill the holes to mount your license plate to the holder. The techs just center it up, mark the holes and drill the appropriate size hole for the screws they use. You should try to find a screw with a wide head, built in washer to cover up the large holes that are in any plate frame you might use.

So you didn't need a pickup any longer? For me, when I've been without one it always seems like I find myself owning another. I like your choice in cars though!
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2014, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I live in TX and the dealer did not mount the front plate. They said it ruined the look of the car. I've been pulled over already for doing 42 in a 35 zone (must have been a slow day). Cop walked around my car, never asked for my license and said have a nice day. I rather suspect he wanted to check out the car. LOL!

Quick Reply: First Audi. Front plate question.