A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTH? Starting to think going Audi was a mistake...

Old 09-01-2014, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry WTH? Starting to think going Audi was a mistake...

Admittedly, the ACC issue I posted about yesterday was due to accidental damage, but so far, since I've purchased this A8L, I am starting to having second thoughts... Today, yet another strange thing to add to my list:

I was using a power washer at a nearby self-washing joint and TWO pieces of trim blew off. What the HELL, Audi? I've been using this same power washer since 2005 and none of my Infinitis every lost door handle trim or trim of any kind. I saw the second one blow off and found the first one over along the edge of the garage. Both had their plastic clips on the inside snapped off.

The bracket that houses the night-vision camera also came loose and was flapping around inside the grill. It was not completely off, but it was definitely detached on one side.

Between this, the driver's seat that developed a rocking motion during the first week, the stereo rattle that sounds like the trunk is about to fly apart (every time there's a kick drum or anything lower frequency I get treated to "brap-brap-brap"), the ashtrays that don't open anymore... I am starting to think that German cars aren't for me.

I know this can likely be taken care of under warranty, but DAMN! Someone talk me down here, because this is starting to get on my nerves and I'm thinking a trip to Carmax to make this someone else's problem is worth a shot...
Old 09-01-2014, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you buy this car new or used?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lazydog
Did you buy this car new or used?
Used under factory warranty. Clean Carfax. Car drives like a dream, but these little things irk me.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never experienced problems to the level you are stating. Audi has been a solid car for me over the years.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Going to the dealer today, I hope, to see about getting this stuff fixed.

I am hoping it's just a series of unfortunate oddities. As I've said, I think the previous owner was some sort of wealthy Russian (the dealer left all the MMI stuff intact, and the the list of Bluetooth devices were all Russian-ish: "Grigory", "Misha's iPod", etc). The car feels like it was taken care of as much as someone who "doesn't truly care but felt obligated to go through the motions" would. A couple of small door dings (I've never, ever, in my 20 years of car ownership, gotten a dent in my door) that I've had removed, paint that's been run through many automatic car washes, some minor scuffs on one wheel, etc.

My nerves are just unsettled as this is a complicated beast of a car and when pieces of trim literally fall off without any sign of exterior damage... Ugh!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

There's no way to know what Vlad, or Dima, or Misha actually put the poor car through. You live in a very cold climate, so, just a wild guess, but if you leave cars outside in the winter, does plastic fatigue?

In the end, I know I had problems with my RL because my X wife kept the garage so full of junk that the RL lived outside. I had paint problems and a handle cover fly off under a power wash plus trim issues which no other owner of the car I ever met had.

It took me a while to realize that weather just beats on cars over the years. That is why I mention it....

Two close friends have only owned Audis for a couple of decades. They're happy, but for the cost of repairs. But that's expected, because the dealers aren't stupid - if you roll up in an MB or and Audi, well, they'll take your money simply because they can.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SamLV
There's no way to know what Vlad, or Dima, or Misha actually put the poor car through. You live in a very cold climate, so, just a wild guess, but if you leave cars outside in the winter, does plastic fatigue?
The car actually is from Texas and Louisiana, so it should not have suffered from cold winter. Blistering summers, perhaps.

As for long-term costs, I expected some and will have an Audi extended warranty soon enough. But the trim just falling off floored me. I've never seen that, except of my very first car which was a mid-80s American car with 180K miles. This car costs six figures and to have a snap-on piece of trim snap a clip, seemingly at random, is baffling.

I am looking at the piece now. There are two snap-clips that hold the trim onto the metal handle frame around the keyhole. One of them has shattered off. If I had smacked this with a hammer or other blunt object, I might understand, but it was just fine and then suddenly just dropped off the car.

It may have been broken for a while, but it's been in the same car wash three times now. Again, a self-wash bay with a sprayer -- not an automatic wash with big, heavy brushes slapping the car.

Replacement part is $60... woohoo! :O
Old 09-02-2014, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by needles
As for long-term costs, I expected some and will have an Audi extended warranty soon enough.
Read your extended warranty carefully, it's unlikely it will cover things like this.
Several D3 guys have them and some don't even cover air suspension - considered M&W...

This car costs six figures
Brand new, yes.

Replacement part is $60... woohoo! :O
You got out cheap !
Old 09-23-2014, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Used under factory warranty. Clean Carfax. Car drives like a dream, but these little things irk me.
Clean carfax only means its not salvaged. Carfax does help in showing what was done but there are many things it wont show. Sorry to say carfax is a lot of hype that people buy into. Id say your problem is just the fact that its a german car. Only porsche is a car made of quality. Too bad they are limited in model genre and their cars arent great looking. i

There are rumors porsche will be taking over audi
Old 09-23-2014, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
There are rumors porsche will be taking over audi
God help us all !
That MB isn't looking so bad now

Agreed on the Carfax

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WTH? Starting to think going Audi was a mistake...