A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbochargers for 4.0 CEUA

Old 01-11-2019, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbochargers for 4.0 CEUA

Hello everyone

it is time to replace my chargers. I can not spend $5k for new ones. Does anyone has any experience with rebuilding them, or a good source for turbocharger cores?
I would really appreciate any input. Thank you.

Ps. As symptoms. Hard start; car doesnt stay on at idle. Runs fine while on the road. And... burns oil faster then gas; few months ago when I replaced the pcv valve they were dry. Yesterday they were soaking with oil. And by the way, on an A8 pcv valve takes only about 2 hours to replace. If anyone needs some hints let me know.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Really?! Nobody had any issues with turbochargers or took them apart?
Old 01-14-2019, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dorelian
Hello everyone

it is time to replace my chargers. I can not spend $5k for new ones. Does anyone has any experience with rebuilding them, or a good source for turbocharger cores?
I would really appreciate any input. Thank you.

Ps. As symptoms. Hard start; car doesnt stay on at idle. Runs fine while on the road. And... burns oil faster then gas; few months ago when I replaced the pcv valve they were dry. Yesterday they were soaking with oil. And by the way, on an A8 pcv valve takes only about 2 hours to replace. If anyone needs some hints let me know.
Curious, how did it take you only 2 hours to replace the pcv valve?

As for the turbos, there's upgraded turbos from SRM (http://sillyrabbitmotorsport.com/RS7-OEM-TURBO-UPGRADE). Not sure how long they'll take to send them out as they took over 2 months to ship our intakes for my 4.0T A8L. I'm assuming they took that long because it's custom piping but I'm not sure. Check with them first if they have the CHRAs in stock for the turbo rebuild. Seems like a fairly simple DIY to rebuild the turbos if you already been through the process of changing the pcv valve as getting the turbos out is only like another hour of work approximately and then whatever time it takes you to take them apart and put them back in place. Perks of this is you can put RS7 CHRAs in there, allowing for more boost with a custom tune if youre into that kind of stuff.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It is a fairly easy process since on an A8 there is enough room to remove the front plastic intake cover without messing with the front end (radiators, bumper samd). All you have to do is to remove the vacuum “container( sorry, I dont know the name of that thing) looks like three spheres connected to a vaccum hose, right in the middle, mounted under the hood latch
the steps I took:

1 removed plastic hoses from air filter to the turbos
2 removed the turbo bypass valves (3 screws each) left them attached to the wires; just set them aside
3 loosen the hose clamps on the turbos only and then remove the 6 screws that hold the other end on the intercooler. Carefully slide it up pulling the hoses off turbos as well.
4 removed turbos metal pipes starting with the one on the driver’s side
5 removed few other small hoses in the way around pcv/ turbos
6 remove the screws of the intercoolre and carefully pull it out. Hoses have enough play to allow the intercooler to come out with no problem. No need to disconnect it.
7 loosen the coolant line that goes accross the intake. I lost some coolant in the process
8 remove the 6 screws that holds the plastic intake. There are 3 on each side. And the 3 screws near the pcv that holds it down in the V. The whole intake plastic assembly will come out with the pcv attached

Old 01-15-2019, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd like to hear how you make out with the turbos, as I'm sure mine will be toast at some point.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Today I received my turbocharger cores. Very well packed and they look well machined. They arrived two weeks earlier than expected....
I’ll post updates with the progress.

PS. Not looking into upgrades or anything. Just want to fix my chargers. One failed and one is not far behind. I have 168k miles on the car.

Last edited by Dorelian; 01-20-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome. Good luck. You ordered them from audi or from SRM? Interested to see how long it takes you to change them
Old 01-22-2019, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No. I got them off ebay. Cores only. Now I have another issue. The v clamps show some stress cracks and I am trying to find a replacement that would fit. No luck so far. I had no idea this crap is taking so long to find parts. I really start to hate it. I stopped by the Audi dealer with one of the clamps and they told me it only comes with the whole turbo assy. $3k clamp.... who knew. Anyway, I’ll post the dimensions here, in case someone can give some advice.
0682RHF5 352; about 3.5”/90mm diameter, width of the v 3/8”/10mm whole width about 14mm.

Thanks

i cant attach photos. I have some.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

New turbo cores

This is the clamp I had a hard time finding. It is a vw item and I suspect is the one and only clamp vw audi is using on their turbos.