A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

13 S8 changes to exterior

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 13 S8 changes to exterior

Hey guys, did some research but don't see clear cut answers. My goal is to get a black grill and change the rear diffuser, and front diffuser trim from the silver to carbon fiber, and change side mirrors to carbon fiber. I have a Daytona grea metallic 2013 S8.

I have seen some aftermarket grills and I'm curious if there is an Audi oem black grill for the S8 plus that door on the 2013 as well as CF spoiler. Best place to get these?

Or so you guys think just going with a better silver grill could look better? I HATE the grill on this car for some reason. I do want a spoiler though and not sure if there is a silver one to meet trim the same.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's an option. Can also get a factory black optics grill from 2016 MY. OEM components are VERY expensive. I've priced out all black optics trim and can send you the quotes if interested. I've been wrestling with this for a year now. Look up some old posts of mine from early 2018 for more info on what I've done.

I've done wrap and doing plastic dip in two weeks.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I tried looking up old posts from you but it's cut off at 5/2018. Little confused.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

May not be that old. Here's one post where the chrome delete is discussed.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post25200052
Old 01-27-2019, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My other thought instead of figuring against the look i have is to get this style: http://www.lltek.com/assets/images/blunter-a8-chr-3qrtr-sizedx8.jpg

I have not yet seen an S8 with it but it looks way better than stock grill. Then i just need to get a silver lip spoiler if they are made and this would all be cheaper and not fight against the current look.

I have the rotor style wheels but the clear coat isn't the greatest so I'm going to sandblast them just not sure what color i should go with.

I could also wrap the car but was worried about how long this would last.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Grill looks good. I had the titanium rotors when I bought the car - see old photo. Just to give you some perspective.

I actually just met with the guy that does high-end wraps and graphics and he said you can count on the wrap lasting four years for an everyday driver and up to ten if pampered. Looking at a flat gray or silver. Love the look of the 2016 Plus below.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Black Optics Trim Upgrade Parts & Prices

Since the tropic of retro-fitting the B/O trim package on a post-facelift A8/S8 interests a few of us out there, below are two quotes that cover all of the parts. I've also included worthy commentary from email exchanges between the dealership and me.

In the first image, it's important to read the comments since they didn't quote the correct sensor trim housings.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So in your humble opinion if I went with the W12 grill above what would you do with the wheels? I need to sandblast them or refinish them no matter what so I can either go black or another finish? I am not a huge fan of the titanium honestly, it doesn't match the rest of the package which always sort of frustrated me.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Agree on the titanium wheels - that's why I got rid of them - didn't match anything on the car. The W12 grill, IMHO looks more "stately" than the so-called "normal" grill but if you get it in black (or dip it) then I think it would look good. Correct me if I'm wrong but the major differences in the two grills is the wire backing and the double-horizontal slats? One question I'd have is would the differences in the W12 grill stand out if blackened?

If you're going for a more aggressive black optics look (which it seems to me, you are), I'd consider either a) dipping your current grill first - it's a a few hundred bucks out of pocket but at least you have the option to upgrade if you still don't like it or b) the LLTek "RS" style grill that I originally posted. Also, unless you love the rotors, by the time you go through blasting and painting each wheel, you're not far from spending the dough on a set of reconditioned OEM wheels or aftermarket rims. I spent quite a bit of time scouring the internet to see a variety of wheel packages on the A8/S8 - including factory photos to get the right look (through my eyes at least). You can get at least $400/rim for your rotors or $200-$250/rim on a trade with a wheel house - that you could apply to a set of new rims.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I talked to the guys at LLTek quite a bit. Priced out the grill and an entire front clip, RS8 badge etc....started getting expensive. I've wrapped my car a couple times for different rallies, vinyl black out of the trim, badges and 4 rings. Haven't done the grill yet. Folks say plasti dip is easiest way for continued maintenance on the grill as chips will occur. I always thought the plasti dip looked cheap, but may be the way to go. Or buy the OEM black grill. I've never seen a wrap last as long as reported above and have plenty of friends that wrap often, $10K type of jobs. My most recent wrap has areas breaking down, but I run this thing close to 200 in the desert on some rallies and the sand can do a number it. I'd like to hear how the dipped grill holds up, and looks close up. Post updates.

Quick Reply: 13 S8 changes to exterior