A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exclusive paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 07:28 PM
15 A8L TDI, 03 RS6, 01 S4

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Was the car possibly repainted at some point?

Whatever color it is, gotta admit, I like it.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

All of the engine bay matches, door jambs, everything looks untouched. It was a 1 owner prior to me, older gentleman who gave this car everything it asked for and then some. The Monroney specifies Exclusive paint, it would be odd to spec that and then have what would be a top notch, drivetrain out paint job happen.

Old 03-27-2024, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 130 Posts
Thumbs up

Great Color!

Could this order/build suit the purpose of a sales/show/press/test car from Audi AG and a US dealer? Or a car to Audi of America from Audi AG as a demo of some type?
Old 03-28-2024, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertISaar
I don't understand how there is absolutely no documentation on what I have. Is that typical for a car.with Exclusive options, only the original owner truly knows what they have?
It is possible, especially when the entry is left blank. It could be paint to sample (another color that looks very similar to Ipanema), although this is unlikely as that would have an additional cost.

If AoA can't figure it out, try asking the original purchasing dealer (they've probably purged those records though) or Audi Germany.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 03-28-2024 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:14 PM
W12 Aficionado

Received 603 Likes on 403 Posts

Colors on and off the approved list are all listed on the build sheet the same way and are all categorized as exclusive colors. Audi had also gotten very stingy with allowing- or even making it known that you could request- colors outside of the ever shrinking preapproved color list. While they were being stingy with their willingness to approve requests they did actually make Audi AG and competitor colors the same price starting in 2015: $3,900 (odd that your monroney label is missing a digit there)

It could possibly have been a display model but I don’t find that likely as the end of the D4 had all but arrived for the 2017 model year so it wasn’t being showcased. It was probably just a normal exclusive paint spec by a customer

Email auditalk@audi.com with your VIN and you’ll have your answer in a day or two
Old 03-29-2024, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OberklasseA8
Great Color!

Could this order/build suit the purpose of a sales/show/press/test car from Audi AG and a US dealer? Or a car to Audi of America from Audi AG as a demo of some type?
The Carfax mentioned this as being a "corporate" vehicle, but what exactly that could mean is not a small list. It was traded in to the same dealer network it came from and replaced with a Lexus, so that should exclude it being owned by the mother shi​p.
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
It is possible, especially when the entry is left blank. It could be paint to sample (another color that looks very similar to Ipanema), although this is unlikely as that would have an additional cost.

If AoA can't figure it out, try asking the original purchasing dealer (they've probably purged those records though) or Audi Germany.
See below

Originally Posted by 2turbos4rings
Colors on and off the approved list are all listed on the build sheet the same way and are all categorized as exclusive colors. Audi had also gotten very stingy with allowing- or even making it known that you could request- colors outside of the ever shrinking preapproved color list. While they were being stingy with their willingness to approve requests they did actually make Audi AG and competitor colors the same price starting in 2015: $3,900 (odd that your monroney label is missing a digit there)

It could possibly have been a display model but I don’t find that likely as the end of the D4 had all but arrived for the 2017 model year so it wasn’t being showcased. It was probably just a normal exclusive paint spec by a customer

Email auditalk@audi.com with your VIN and you’ll have your answer in a day or two
Auditalk is who gave the original "Blue" description using only the VIN. I think they got ahold of Audi Germany, the next response came back as "Ipanemabraun Met", which satisfies my curiosity.

I also thought the missing 0 was odd, I did see another variant of the window sticker on the dealer website, also not an original, but it reflected the correct cost for the Exclusive paint option. I think the Monroneylabels website is willing to do funny math to make the final number correct. They both come up to 108,425, but the missing paint cost looks like it was rolled into the base cost to make up for it.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:08 PM
W12 Aficionado

Received 603 Likes on 403 Posts

Excellent! Glad you found out for certain

I had the same frustrations as you with obtaining an original window sticker. There are a few places that will produce a monroney label but for one: they don’t look anything like the original. And two: if you have anything exclusive, especially for the interior, then that information will likely be incorrect or even missing. I ended up painstakingly recreating a pixel accurate original monroney label for my car

The following 2 users liked this post by 2turbos4rings:
DallasDave (03-30-2024), Striker2237 (03-29-2024)