A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exchange 21" 5 spoke S8 wheels for 20"

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exchange 21" 5 spoke S8 wheels for 20"

Hey anyone interested in trading wheels...I just bought a 2016 s8...the wheels and tires have 3k miles on them so basically new. I'm looking for 20"most likely audi oem wheels and possibly even 19" if they will fit.

Here is a picture of what they look like on the car

Old 03-10-2017, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM sent
Old 03-10-2017, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would go with 19's. The main reason is for sidewall. I am personally considering looking if there are some nice 18's that will fit. Having that extra sidewall makes a really big difference in comfort. The 45's on 19's are ok but 50's on 18's would definitely ride better. Roads as really bad near and in NYC. Not to mention the chances of bending a rim goes way down. Road rash is usually not an issue. Tires last a lot longer, they are cheaper, and there is more selection. Your suspension as whole will take less abuse. Arguably big rims look great but that's about it. Air struts, shocks, control arms bushing all last longer with the tire absorbing those impacts.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 03-10-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
I would go with 19's. The main reason is for sidewall. I am personally considering looking if there are some nice 18's that will fit. Having that extra sidewall makes a really big difference in comfort. The 45's on 19's ok but 50's on 18's would definitely ride better. Roads as really bad near and in NYC. Not to mention the chances of bending a rim goes way down. Road rash is usually not an issue. Tires last a lot longer, they are cheaper, and there is more selection. Your suspension as whole will take less abuse. Arguably big rims look great but that's about it. Air struts, shocks, control arms bushing all last longer with the tire absorbing those impacts.
well only if someone here would be willing to trade me because i dont feel like going away from oem this time...but who knows maybe i will...also i highly doubt any 18s out there will fit over the bbk on the s8s.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree. Not with the size of your front calipers. I can't imagine 19's would not fit. You know, nice aftermarket rims are higher quality then OEM rims. Stronger, usually one piece, and often lighter.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?isRefin...TL&_mwBanner=1

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 03-10-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
I agree. Not with the size of your front calipers. I can't imagine 19's would not fit. You know, nice aftermarket rims are higher quality then OEM rims. Stronger, usually one piece, and often lighter.
i just dont feel like spending that kind of money on aftermarket rims right now...i had some kind forged 19" on my 335i that would not bend over any kind of potholes even with 30 ratio tires...but i paid like $3500 for those and just dont feel like doing that again.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

You should be able to get some nice 20's, they ride pretty nice and will fit without issue. I'm not sure any of the factory 19's would suit the S8. The rims you have should be a higher value than the 20's. In fact, if I were you, I'd hold off on looking for a trade until you can determine the ones you want and their value, and the value of the ones you have in near new condition, and ask for the difference when you trade them. I'm sure someone would be happy to swap for those wheels and throw in some cash. It might not be much, but every little bit helps when you've just bought a $100k car.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

18's flat out don't fit, so erase that thought. Already covered that too...

In 19's, any trades are going to be 255 in OE size. Do you want to step down from 275? If you want 275 in 19's, then you want a loose wheel set. Again, there are no practical OE forged in 19's either, so any weight savings compared to OE forged 20's is probably zero or even headed in wrong direction. My OE 20's on W12 for example weighed less than the base 18's on D3, even at 275 on mine and 255 on the 18's. If you want softer sidewall, that would be why 19s. Check your tire pressure BTW. Don't use door sticker (which is max load); use what the owner' manual says. If you don't travel full load, use light load setting, or halfway in between the two they give you.

In 20's, you an get them off a D4 A8 in 265's for the OE's. Also from an S7 for same wheels, but then tire size is wrong by an inch of diameter, so again sometimes you back into it from loose wheel sets first. I also run 275s, so you can't do that on a straight swap. 20's are where the OE forged ones are per my prior posts. Search on it.

Wheels will fly out of your hands at $2K FYI (I watched a prior set of these priced too low in same scenario). At 4K they will sit, just like the ones on eBay do. Market might be in 2.5-3K range for reasonable sale complete, probably at higher end given how new tires are and probably no rash at all. Honestly though, if you can hold onto them, far better off for car resale. The moment you take those off, car cannot be CPO'ed as a future trade. Period. And many dealers dont want a car with any visible mods, CPO or otherwise, especially a newer one. I know you just got it yesterday, but think well ahead for high priced stuff like this. I notice from your posts you have been thru some cars already.

Honestly, you are also looking on wrong site for much at level of available wheels. Probably about 1/10 of 1% of D4 owners are here or other forums. This is the most frequented in USA, with tumbleweeds blowing in most others. For wheels, after checking local CL for the random lottery ticket, then eBay and AZ. If not sure what AZ means, maybe don't bother...

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-10-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

A few other thoughts:

1. As w /car, give it time. It takes me about 3 months if I know the set I want to buy them at a good price. Even 6 for a really unusual one. I have bought probably 10 or 12 complete wheel sets over the years across 5 Audis. Sometimes I have got them for no more than price of tires (and TPMS sensors back on D3's), and often effectively have paid as little as $100 each for the wheel itself if the tires are usable directly. The tire part is the hardest on D4, since majority of sets out there are S7 that has one size too small aspect ratio (35's instead of 40's).

2. I don't know Plus's well enough, but be sure to check if you have in wheel TPMS sensors. I think the ones with the speed related package (higher governor, CCB's, etc.) do, but not sure for a "straight" S8 Plus. Probably doesn't display in MMI now like it did with D3's, but those sensors are worth a couple hundred each at dealer prices. Basically, if you have a straight rubber valve stem, you don't have them. If it has a metal looking nut thing at base of stem and stem also looks metal (actually its all plastic), then it has TPMS sensors in there. Then for any wheel swap, you want to transfer those over--and get Audi wheels compatible with (milled) to accept the sensors.

3. Also realize there are 3, maybe 4 colors to Audi OE wheels, and some further finish nuances. As an OE wheel guy, I notice this stuff. Silver/polished or silver/polished combo with medium gray barrels (mine in 20 forged), smoked and then gloss or matte (yours and my originals), and then dark. Yet darker if a powder coated set. And some RS7 and S8 Plus styles have very dark spoke sides and barrel with smoke type face finish. Take the time to know what's out there and compatible with your car and taste. Post up interest too, but again look around a bit first. Even yours to mine is little different look since you have the darker trim finish that I don't even with both Daytona Gray.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-10-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
A few other thoughts:

1. As w /car, give it time. It takes me about 3 months if I know the set I want to buy them at a good price. Even 6 for a really unusual one. I have bought probably 10 or 12 complete wheel sets over the years across 5 Audis. Sometimes I have got them for no more than price of tires (and TPMS sensors back on D3's), and often effectively have paid as little as $100 each for the wheel itself if the tires are usable directly. The tire part is the hardest on D4, since majority of sets out there are S7 that has one size too small aspect ratio (35's instead of 40's).

2. I don't know Plus's well enough, but be sure to check if you have in wheel TPMS sensors. I think the ones with the speed related package (higher governor, CCB's, etc.) do, but not sure for a "straight" S8 Plus. Probably doesn't display in MMI now like it did with D3's, but those sensors are worth a couple hundred each at dealer prices. Basically, if you have a straight rubber valve stem, you don't have them. If it has a metal looking nut thing at base of stem and stem also looks metal (actually its all plastic), then it has TPMS sensors in there. Then for any wheel swap, you want to transfer those over--and get Audi wheels compatible with (milled) to accept the sensors.

3. Also realize there are 3, maybe 4 colors to Audi OE wheels, and some further finish nuances. As an OE wheel guy, I notice this stuff. Silver/polished or silver/polished combo with medium gray barrels (mine in 20 forged), smoked and then gloss or matte (yours and my originals), and then dark. Yet darker if a powder coated set. And some RS7 and S8 Plus styles have very dark spoke sides and barrel with smoke type face finish. Take the time to know what's out there and compatible with your car and taste. Post up interest too, but again look around a bit first. Even yours to mine is little different look since you have the darker trim finish that I don't even with both Daytona Gray.
Right I'm only looking for forged and none of that cheap aftermarket crap either...I've bought sets at 800 before and they bend after first pothole.

I guess s8 pluses are different than s8 with tire pressure...mine has sensors built on and displays tire pressure on mmi

Quick Reply: Exchange 21" 5 spoke S8 wheels for 20"