A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy to clean wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 05:54 PM
Super-Duper User

Received 495 Likes on 396 Posts
Question Easy to clean wheels?

I must admit, that got me thinking. Occasionally in nice weather, I like to give my car a wash in the driveway (which is only half of the year up here in New England). Are there any direct OEM replacement wheels that are easy to clean by hand? Something without a fractal pattern that requires Q-Tips...? I'd like to give the rims a wipe and have them right quick.
Old 03-20-2022, 07:05 PM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

Probably doesn’t get any easier than an Audi Rotor. Biggest obstacle to cleaning is brake dust so a pad change up would also help.

You could further reduce cleaning complexity by going 90’s retro with some tri-stars. 😋

Old 03-21-2022, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 136 Likes on 106 Posts

Amen on the complex rim architecture- so pretty, such a pain when its time to clean. One of the reasons I'm considering going to 22s is for the ease of getting my hand over the brake assembly so I clean the barrel properly. Yes, I could move the entire car but that seems wasteful, considering the price of gas these days. Or I could do it without starting the car but that isn't exactly effortless and my hands are already black from brake dust.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Paladin-S8
Amen on the complex rim architecture- so pretty, such a pain when its time to clean. One of the reasons I'm considering going to 22s is for the ease of getting my hand over the brake assembly so I clean the barrel properly. Yes, I could move the entire car but that seems wasteful, considering the price of gas these days. Or I could do it without starting the car but that isn't exactly effortless and my hands are already black from brake dust.
Seal the wheel after a clean. Use anything you'd put on the paint. Even the spray on sio2 stuff should last a bit. Have only used jetseal myself though.
The following users liked this post:
Strange2C (03-23-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great idea land, I will do that. Waiting on some spray-on ceramic stuff to arrive, I'll use that. Supposed to be good for at least 6 months.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by A8L_New_England
I must admit, that got me thinking. Occasionally in nice weather, I like to give my car a wash in the driveway (which is only half of the year up here in New England). Are there any direct OEM replacement wheels that are easy to clean by hand? Something without a fractal pattern that requires Q-Tips...? I'd like to give the rims a wipe and have them right quick.
I hear ya, most of current designs are a pain to clean. I have not change my A8 wheels but on most of my fun cars I would always look for some variation of the basic 5 spoke wheel which is by contrast a breeze to wipe down.

I generally use a pressure washer on my A8L TDI wheels and a quick wipe to the face with some detailer when I am done. It works pretty well gets about 95% of the job done compared to hand detailing the wheel and waaay quicker.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

5-spoke wheels are still my favorite config- going all the way back to the days of the Fittipaldi 5-stars. I still remember the first time I'd seen them on a car, it was a 80s Buick Regal or Oldsmobile Cutlass; essentially the same car. This one was white, limo tint and had a (for then) serious ground effects kit. This was so long ago some of you may not have even been born!

Of course, those were only 15s, while I'm looking at 22s. Though I might go for the OEM rotors if I can find a decent set for not too much money. Or the 7-slot/spoke (like MP's) one from the S7, even though they're only 20s. I like the look of some of the more radical designs, but just the thought of having to keep them clean has kept me away from them. LOL

Last edited by Paladin-S8; 03-21-2022 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:08 AM
Super-Duper User

Received 495 Likes on 396 Posts

I've got Audi rotors and ceramic pads (and want to keep OEM rims), so I guess the next thing for me to make the job quick & easy is a small pressure washer.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey, it isn't like it's an impulse buy or unneeded, right? I'm thinking I need one myself. The current rims I have are OEM and they've grown on me somewhat, just a pain to keep clean. If they didn't have that chrome plastic piece between the slot arms, it wouldn't be an issue. Someone on here has the same ones but coated black and left the chrome bits shiny. Kind of like that look.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 179 Likes on 144 Posts

Ceramic coated my wheels and calipers first thing on purchase, including the barrels. Eases cleaning a lot. Recommend Wheel Woolies to help with cleaning difficult to reach places, including calipers and barrels.

Quick Reply: Easy to clean wheels?