A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove an A8 and 750i

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove an A8 and 750i

I'm a few months away from placing an order on a new sedan, and have narrowed the choice down to an A8 4.0 NWB and a 750i. Yesterday I was able to drive both. The A8 was a 2015 long wheelbase as it seems that all of the incoming 2015s in local dealers are all L's. The BMW was the short wheelbase. My main priority is to choose the car that is best on the highway, as I'll be using it primarily for longer drives. Both cars were impressive and I should point out I've owned both in the past, a D4 A8 and an earlier 750i. I drove the A8 first, and it felt very quiet, even serene on the highway. The power delivery was very linear, and the interior was very elegant. The steering was a bit light, but not in a bad way (my current daily driver is a 2013 BMW M6, so that's my reference point). On the freeway ramp I pushed it pretty hard and it was impressively fast. In fact I felt that the power was much more usable than the M6. I like the new headlights on the 2015, although it would be great to have the full LED lights from the European version. When I drove the 7, I noticed a significant difference in responsiveness; the BMW delivers its power more immediately vs. the A8. In the Audi, you have to put your foot into it a bit more to have a similar feeling. But I actually preferred the Audi's power delivery, as it felt more controllable, and as I said more linear. Just different characteristics between the two cars, and I suspect that determines one's choice. As to the highway experience, the BMW had slightly more road noise (the Audi didn't have the Luxury package, which includes dual pane glass, and BMW doesn't offer a similar option in any case). As for the interior, the Audi felt more special (it was black, the BMW was a light biege). After this drive, I'm leaning toward the A8. The dealer had a W12 in the showroom, and I'm glad I didn't drive that as I probably would have bought it.

Bottom line: both are great cars, and I think it really comes down to a preference of quiet power and authority (A8) vs. a bit more intense luxury car experience (BMW).
Old 07-13-2014, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

They added more/new sound deadening insulation for 2015 which likely enhances the cabin's tranquility. I suspect if you throw the Sports Plus package onto the A8 and dial the Drive Select into sports mode, you'll have a pleasingly more intense luxury experience :-)
Old 07-13-2014, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coming from an early 7 series and a member of Bimmerfest, continuously reading about all the issues the new F01/02's are plagued with I too would have chosen the new A8. My '07 A8 has been trouble free. (Knock on wood). The new 7's have oil burning issues, bad coils, turbo issues and the list goes on. But you've probably know about these issues being a previous 7 owner. You've made a wise decision, congrats on your new purchase.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2009 750i. I think the leather in the 7 is a bit nicer. If I get an A8, I'm getting the upgraded leather.

I have an A6 now. The service frustrations at BMW led me to get another Audi. I miss my BMW seats and shortcut keys on the dash. My Audi has been far less trouble.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read the forums on the 7 series, mentioning various problems, but having owned both Audis and BMWs (including my current M6) I've been lucky with both brands being very reliable. And my local dealer handles both (and MB/Porsche too), so service should be similar in theory. As to the suggestion of getting the Sport package on the Audi, I'd probably pass as I don't need that for my planned use of the car. If I went for the 7, same thing, no MSport package.

There is another issue which some have discussed between these two cars, and that concerns which has more presence. I think they both do, but in different ways. The 7 seems more substantive, heavier, in appearance, while the A8 seems more sophisticated, and in some way, lighter (and I don't mean actual weight). If you close their doors, they are both very solid in feel and sound, but different: the 7's door feels heavier, the A8's lighter. Again, it comes down to preference, but I suspect the forthcoming 7 redesign will be a major change, but it's probably 1.5-2 years away here in the States whereas the Audi just got a nice refresh.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds like you're fighting with your emotions to remain with BMW vs. your head swaying you to the A8. BTW, the sport package on the A8, for me, isn't an issue of sporty driving as much as safety regarding heightened control of the car (both off and on highway). Most of my miles are on the Long Island Expressway here in New York; a continually dangerous highway where the Audi Dynamic Steering and rear Sports differential are an absolute must have, in my mind, in the event of hi-speed panic maneuvers to keep absolute control of this big heavy vehicle---especially in the case of the LWB model.

Last edited by derfA8L; 07-13-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Most of my miles are on the Long Island Expressway here in New York; a continually dangerous highway where the Audi Dynamic Steering and rear Sports differential are an absolute must have, in my mind, in the event of hi-speed panic maneuvers to keep absolute control of this big heavy vehicle---especially in the case of the LWB model.
As if you hadn't already sold me on Sports diff... that sealed the deal.

I swear I'm buying an M1A2 before venturing on the BQE or LIE again.
Manhattan driving has got nothing on the LIE !
Old 07-13-2014, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jakematic
As if you hadn't already sold me on Sports diff... that sealed the deal.

I swear I'm buying an M1A2 before venturing on the BQE or LIE again.
Manhattan driving has got nothing on the LIE !
HAHAHA! Potholes on the BQE would probably consume an M1A2. Idiot drivers and 18-wheelers tailgating "slow moving" vehicles on the LIE are unfortunate and typical road hazards that never cease to amaze me...that is when it hasn't turned into the LIE parking lot. Manhattan driving is a piece of cake by comparison---if you can keep your sanity trying to get cross town ;-)
Old 07-13-2014, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember those days driving over the NYC borough bridges, the LIE, BQE, Cross Bronx, Major Deegan.. I don't miss those roads at all. Always felt like I lost a fender.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

No mention of the price difference.

I would think that for the price of a 7 series reasonably-equipped you could pretty much have an S8.

We have the NWB A8, but we had to order it from Germany. Dealers here tend to get the A8L by a wide margin over the NWB. We didn't need the extra length, however.

I love my S6 for a daily driver, but when we take a road trip the A8 is the way to go. The added comfort really makes the difference. I think the best feature is the comfort seats with massage. I have found that those seats will randomly adjust in small amounts to prevent fatigue in your back and butt. It's almost imperceptible but makes a big difference.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 07-14-2014 at 04:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Drove an A8 and 750i