A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D5

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D5

I was at a dealership recently and they have stated we D4 will at least have another 18-24 prior to D5 coming down the pipeline.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds about right. With VAG's current financial problems it might even be longer. The A8/S8 cars are not big money makers.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
Sounds about right. With VAG's current financial problems it might even be longer. The A8/S8 cars are not big money makers.
Au contraire mon frère. The profit margins on the A8 are quite large, and it's a good testbed for all kinds of new tech. Unless you were referring to the relatively low sales figures, in which case the sales crown jumps to the Q5 or Q7. That timeline sounds right, even without the diesel woes.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I suspect you are correct about profit margin on the A8/S8 cars and I was referring to the low sales volume. Most of Audi's profits are coming from the lower end cars. And I think they are going to be all about profit for a few years. Building the Q5 in Mexico is going to have a significant positive impact on their bottom line. But the diesel buy backs are going to hurt VAG as a whole badly.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the_duke
But the diesel buy backs are going to hurt VAG as a whole badly.
Yeah, every little $14.7B hurts!
Old 10-26-2016, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

As I've posted several times now...Spring 2018 U.S. launch.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts

Other reasons for delay beyond TDI related belt tightening are spelled T-E-S-L-A.

I am not a fan boy, but the market has changed a lot. A8 (and a lot of other pricy luxobarges) have been creamed by Tesla. D4 now way outsold by them in USA And now even in Euro home markets for various reasons, often tax/incentive driven. Tesla also markets to the techno types, which was heavily an Audi market too. And once they got to D drive (AWD), Audi's historical differentiator dried up. Sure, quattro sophistication and all, but for 95%+ of buyers, they don't know the nuances and anything "AWD" is good enough. In turn it takes time to implement a good electric design. Meantime their D4 little known one is a piece o crap--sold (barely) only in home market and China. Basically a FWD only kludge version of the Q5 one I own. They--and competitors--are now realizing you really want the batteries low down in the body, which takes a much more fundamental redesign than just squirreling them here and there, reducing or eliminating gas tank and putting some there, etc. Add to it, Audi poo pooed both hybrid and electric until they got royally skewered on TDI fraud and they found new religion. See my recent post here on how far this thinking has changed: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-w-d5-2908310/

Then, add autonomous. Lots and lots of changes. And as fast as Audi innovates, someone else moves the bar again. Lots of Tesla in here too (and the techno marketing angle), though the curtain was pulled back some on the "wizard" here in the last year or so. Meanwhile in here, Audi actually found virtual dash, which while not autonomous seems to be playing well for the "gee wiz" effect and techno marketing. They are pushing that out quickly on all the models now as they get rev'ed.

Beyond this, also add other deeper thought areas like whether to shift even on gas/diesel drive to electric on one end like various of the supercars have already pioneered and is occasionally found on much more mundane stuff like Lexus RX's now, rethink of MMI at a more basic level where the D body typically leads, etc.

The largest here--Tesla market erosion, TDI fraud outed, CEO and top R&D types ejected out of the executive suite (after fingers were pried off door jambs), electric rethink, autonomous developments, etc.--have occurred during the D5 development cycle. Since I only upgrade rarely, happy to let them take their time and get it right and for a newer design to better stand test of time and market dynamics.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-26-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If already asked, forgive! Why no pic of your D4S8 in sig?

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Other reasons for delay beyond TDI related belt tightening are spelled T-E-S-L-A.

I am not a fan boy, but the market has changed a lot. A8 (and a lot of other pricy luxobarges) have been creamed by Tesla. D4 now way outsold by them in USA And now even in Euro home markets for various reasons, often tax/incentive driven. Tesla also markets to the techno types, which was heavily an Audi market too. And once they got to D drive (AWD), Audi's historical differentiator dried up. Sure, quattro sophistication and all, but for 95%+ of buyers, they don't know the nuances and anything "AWD" is good enough. In turn it takes time to implement a good electric design. Meantime their D4 little known one is a piece o crap--sold (barely) only in home market and China. Basically a FWD only kludge version of the Q5 one I own. They--and competitors--are now realizing you really want the batteries low down in the body, which takes a much more fundamental redesign than just squirreling them here and there, reducing or eliminating gas tank and putting some there, etc. Add to it, Audi poo pooed both hybrid and electric until they got royally skewered on TDI fraud and they found new religion. See my recent post here on how far this thinking has changed: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-w-d5-2908310/

Then, add autonomous. Lots and lots of changes. And as fast as Audi innovates, someone else moves the bar again. Lots of Tesla in here too (and the techno marketing angle), though the curtain was pulled back some on the "wizard" here in the last year or so. Meanwhile in here, Audi actually found virtual dash, which while not autonomous seems to be playing well for the "gee wiz" effect and techno marketing. They are pushing that out quickly on all the models now as they get rev'ed.

Beyond this, also add other deeper thought areas like whether to shift even on gas/diesel drive to electric on one end like various of the supercars have already pioneered and is occasionally found on much more mundane stuff like Lexus RX's now, rethink of MMI at a more basic level where the D body typically leads, etc.

The largest here--Tesla market erosion, TDI fraud outed, CEO and top R&D types ejected out of the executive suite (after fingers were pried off door jambs), electric rethink, autonomous developments, etc.--have occurred during the D5 development cycle. Since I only upgrade rarely, happy to let them take their time and get it right and for a newer design to better stand test of time and market dynamics.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by D3AeighT
If already asked, forgive! Why no pic of your D4S8 in sig?
Need to reformat existing pics to fit w/ way AW does it when you use multiple. The motor in the avatar (left side) though is my actual underhood w/ cover off. Did that at first for stealth mode for the more advanced spotters to "find Waldo"--a few on D3 board did a week or two in. But I need to get a good S8 shot to update.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Is that pic of your Q5 in front of the Ingolstadt factory? Did you take delivery there? EDIT (just saw you did take delivery in Ingolstadt)

Was traveling with friends to Europe via Munich a couple years ago & took a train out to Audi Forum Ingolstadt! Saw a train load of Q5's leaving the station that day along with fun visit to the forum, museum, etc. Saw an S6 Avant in the parking lot. Ran into Audi engineers, working of driverless car tech stuff, told them I was a D3 S8 owner from the US (at the time). Very nice engineers, asked a few questions, etc.
Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Need to reformat existing pics to fit w/ way AW does it when you use multiple. The motor in the avatar (left side) though is my actual underhood w/ cover off. Did that at first for stealth mode for the more advanced spotters to "find Waldo"--a few on D3 board did a week or two in. But I need to get a good S8 shot to update.

Quick Reply: D5