A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D4 Homelink Programming

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D4 Homelink Programming

I've searched the forums and found this thread https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ubles-2870639/ but I am still having trouble programming my 2017 S8+. I've programmed a number of cars without incident including other Audi's. Tried a number of approaches but have failed. Either I'm missing something stupid or there's something wrong with my HomeLink module.

Also wondering, do other USA cars have the same Version Information I have?
Version number: 4
Country code: 5
The following users liked this post:
R. Darkmile (05-02-2020)
Old 07-01-2017, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by audirb
I've searched the forums and found this thread https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ubles-2870639/ but I am still having trouble programming my 2017 S8+. I've programmed a number of cars without incident including other Audi's. Tried a number of approaches but have failed. Either I'm missing something stupid or there's something wrong with my HomeLink module.

Also wondering, do other USA cars have the same Version Information I have?
Version number: 4
Country code: 5
Are you using MMI?
Old 07-01-2017, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've initiated the button programming both with MMI and by hitting the button. But even when hitting the button, the MMI asks if I want to program the button. Does this matter? What is your Version information? Thx.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 492 Posts

Are you reading the owner's manual...?
Old 07-02-2017, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, I've read the owner's manual (p41). I've also tried the HomeLink site instructions and used the instructions given on the MMI. My problem is that I'm not getting any flashing lights in front of car: not the 3 flashes that indicates success or the 1 flash that indicates you need to go on to the rolling code steps. Interestingly the Audi manual and the HomeLink instructions for the Audi 8 series indicate different spots in the front of the car to receive the signal (tried them both).

MP4.2 (and anyone else), what is your Version Information?
Old 07-02-2017, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by audirb
I've initiated the button programming both with MMI and by hitting the button. But even when hitting the button, the MMI asks if I want to program the button. Does this matter? What is your Version information? Thx.
I will check and let you know my Version.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

According to Homelink, all Audi A8's have the same version installed. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the programming?
Old 07-02-2017, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 492 Posts

1. MMI version: mine was the one from mid 2014 when I programmed it, though I just got dealer to update mine to what should be most current one (KO942_3).

2. I found you have to hold remote button for a fair amount of time w/ some Audi's to get it to take--not just a second or two to be clear. Try 10-30 seconds continuous push.

3. Have you cleared all remotes from your garage door head? Depends on era of head, but at least as of 15 or 20 years ago they commonly could only hold in the 7 or 8 range of total remotes. If you cycle through vehicles, put friends' in, lose remotes, etc., they build up in head even if long gone use wise. I have found once head fills, it variously may not take a new one, or else rolls off an old one, though not necessarily the oldest. It's a hassle to reprogram if you have multiple current cars that need access, but worth "cleaning out" head from time to time and starting over. First thing you program is the handheld remote you then use to position by headlight for Audi programming. Said another way, issue may well be on the opener side, not the car. Majority of issues I have had w/ Homelink across vehicles/remotes have actually been here.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Actually I'm looking for the Garage Door opener "Version information" displayed in the MMI in the same format as I show above in my OP. I've cleared all buttons on the car before I make each attempt. The manual for the Linear garage door opener says the number of programmable buttons is unlimited (although good point as other openers I've had do have limits).
Old 07-02-2017, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have Lift Master openers and they have a learn button on the motor unit that must be pressed prior to setting up homelink. This button is accessed by removing the rear light cover on the unit. Not sure if yours is similar.

Last edited by jahummel; 07-02-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Quick Reply: D4 Homelink Programming