A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you experience intake valve carbon build-up on the 2011/2012 4.2FSI?
Yes
33.33%
No
66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Anyone with carbon buildup on intake valves?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone with carbon buildup on intake valves?

I am in the process of researching for replacing our family sedan and was contemplating about getting a 2011/2012 A8 4.2 L. Considering this is the same/similar FSI motor as that used in the rest of the Audi line-up, I was wondering if people have experienced the same issues with excessive carbon build-up at the intake valves on the A8.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have yet to hear of any carbon issues on the D4, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, I am just worried that the A8 owners of those model years are just letting the dealers do whatever fixes are needed and trade them in before they even see problems. My research about the vehicle has been kind of hard considering the lack of information shared by the corresponding owner group.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Obviously not implying you.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

hmm, can't edit my posts here I see. So I see you are form NC, I am from the Raleigh area. Whereabouts are you located?
Old 03-28-2014, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by KickAss
Yeah, I am just worried that the A8 owners of those model years are just letting the dealers do whatever fixes are needed and trade them in before they even see problems.
This is a real possibility, even for me
Many of us here have AudiCare and just don't plan to keep these vehicles for a long time.

An even smaller slice of that is those of us with 4.2's purchased new.
The 2012 was a perfect storm for me - last year of the motor and the chassis had a couple of years under it's belt.
I actually called my salesman and said "Sal, I gotta drive stock #___ to see if I like the color"

My research about the vehicle has been kind of hard considering the lack of information shared by the corresponding owner group.
And this is the most active D4 forum anywhere...
I don't know if it's the economy or many D3 owners turning their noses up at D4, some combo or what.
Recently discusses this with a friend from the D3 forum and neither of us can come up with an answer for the lower levels of activity.

Post here to get edit rights: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ht=edit+rights
Old 03-28-2014, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

I am in the process of researching for replacing our family sedan and was contemplating about getting a 2011/2012 A8 4.2 L. Considering this is the same/similar FSI motor as that used in the rest of the Audi line-up, I was wondering if people have experienced the same issues with excessive carbon build-up at the intake valves on the A8.
Have had my 2011 for 3-years now (delivered new on 3/27/11), now with 24,240 miles on the O/D. So far, no such issues (knocking on wood) have surfaced. I do, on occasion, give the car an old fashioned "Italian tune-up" on the highway to hopefully clear out whatever buildup might be in there.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L
I do, on occasion, give the car an old fashioned "Italian tune-up" on the highway to hopefully clear out whatever buildup might be in there.
As do I.
With just shy of 9,000 miles after 2 years and mostly in town driving it makes me feel better.

Just have to watch the spedo as these cars want to run like thoroughbred stallions
Old 03-28-2014, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Have had my 2011 for 3-years now (delivered new on 3/27/11), now with 24,240 miles on the O/D. So far, no such issues (knocking on wood) have surfaced. I do, on occasion, give the car an old fashioned "Italian tune-up" on the highway to hopefully clear out whatever buildup might be in there.
Originally Posted by jakematic
As do I.
With just shy of 9,000 miles after 2 years and mostly in town driving it makes me feel better.

Just have to watch the spedo as these cars want to run like thoroughbred stallions
You guys are in for one big let-down. The old fashioned "Italian tune-up" doesn't do squat for the carbon buildup. I know, I had an S6 v10 before this car, the fuel doesn't flow over the valves so they don't get cleaned. I am hoping Audi did something about this issue in the '12 MY but I am afraid it most likely didn't happen until MY 13 or later.

Here is a link to my post
Carbon Buildup
Old 03-28-2014, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Lazydog
You guys are in for one big let-down. The old fashioned "Italian tune-up" doesn't do squat for the carbon buildup.
That's what I was afraid of, still fun to do though.

Originally Posted by Lazydog
I am hoping Audi did something about this issue in the '12 MY but I am afraid it most likely didn't happen until MY 13 or later.
Have heard there is some newer design but do not know the details.
I think we'll know more as the late model D3's and early D4's get more age on them.

Plan is to keep mine for one more year, so we shall see...

Quick Reply: Anyone with carbon buildup on intake valves?