A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 + $30K = S8. where does that money go?

Old 03-16-2013, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A8 + $30K = S8. where does that money go?

I am looking for reasons to buy the S8 over an A8. I'd like a list of what the S8 has that the A8 doesn't so that I can rationalize it (or not).

As far as I can tell, the S8 has these things over the S8:

1) 520 hp (A8 has 420 hp)
2) the front grill may be a little different?
3) the seats LOOK a little better (are they any better?)
4) The brakes may be better.
5) The S8 comes with the camera assist package (costs $750 for A8)

Are there other things that I am missing? (I am sure there are)
Old 03-16-2013, 04:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by navin in KC
I am looking for reasons to buy the S8 over an A8. I'd like a list of what the S8 has that the A8 doesn't so that I can rationalize it (or not).

As far as I can tell, the S8 has these things over the S8:

1) 520 hp (A8 has 420 hp)
2) the front grill may be a little different?
3) the seats LOOK a little better (are they any better?)
4) The brakes may be better.
5) The S8 comes with the camera assist package (costs $750 for A8)

Are there other things that I am missing? (I am sure there are)
Drive both of them and let the seat of your pants decide
Old 03-16-2013, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is one of those things that if you have to ask you know the answer. I had no issues knowing I wanted to spend more for the S6. Not the same price difference, but I think you know if you want it. There are many things that are different and many things that are the same. The biggest difference is the performance and either you want it or you don't. Just my humble opinion.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
I think this is one of those things that if you have to ask you know the answer. I had no issues knowing I wanted to spend more for the S6. Not the same price difference, but I think you know if you want it. There are many things that are different and many things that are the same. The biggest difference is the performance and either you want it or you don't. Just my humble opinion.
Agree.

I want an S8 and am using the A8 L as a stepping stone. It's all about the performance. The looks are still conservative. The options are just about identical between the A8 and S8 lines. But "snap your neck" 0-60 times are enough on their own.

You can get pretty close to the S8 but getting an A8 NWB with the 4.0 engine and chipping it.

What you really need to ask yourself is this one: Is it worth $30K to go from an ultra-luxurious car with great performance to an ultra-luxurious car that makes you go "Yeeeee haaaaa!" every time you get to mash the accelerator? Paddle shift the S8 into 2nd gear and mash it...it's INSANE! Like a linear accelerator. Realistically, you won't get to do that more than a dozen times a year, but there's something about knowing that you can.

Another concern is whether you are able to drive at higher speeds without getting too many tickets. If you live in the middle of nowhere and know the cops won't ticket you for going 70 mph, it's much more desirable. The worst thing about the A8/S8 is that near-three digit speeds feel like you're barely moving. I try to work out my considerable frustrations on the twisties where it's more about taking that switchback curve 3 mph faster.

As for the R8, the S8 is faster in a straight line and pretty good on twisties for a short period of time. The R8 is better at endurance in the twists. Put another way, the S8 is the best you can get without specialization. It's unflappable as a daily driver, and if you ever need to run away from the MAFIA or an approaching typhoon, it's your best choice.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
I appreciate the answers, but I'm actually looking for a list of things that are on the S8 that aren't on the A8. And, yes, I think I know the answer, but I'd like to see what I get for the money.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I appreciate the answers, but I'm actually looking for a list of things that are on the S8 that aren't on the A8. And, yes, I think I know the answer, but I'd like to see what I get for the money.
Performance and exclusivity. If you're not interested in that, it's not worth the money. Just like paying a premium for a MB AMG.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

All the S8 has is (a) the improved engine, (b) the S8 trim and (c) the bigger price tag.

The only people who will notice the S8 trim are already Audi fanatics, and the S8 isn't exactly a "bling" car. It's all about the engine and the joy of knowing that you're driving the most capable sedan-slash-rocket available.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Alcantara headliner no cost option on S8
$1500 option on the A8.

Sports Plus package, LED headlights, Comfort Package all included on S8. Optional on A8.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The difference in price goes in the carbon fiber gear shifter. Wished there was one available for my S6. Would pay $30K for it.

Seriously, if you wanted a breakdown list of items that makes up the extra $$$, it is not possible. High level - you pay for the "S" brand and engine and if one can afford it, that list is not material.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I drive a 2011 A8 NWB. I took 3 hour road trip to test drive a 2013 S8 that dealer ordered for himself as a toy. S8 was white with black top and black painted rims. Obvious why it was still available. I was very impressed with the power of the S8. Yes, the S8 is $ 30K more than A8 NWB, but it includes
$ 11,600. of options that I paid for on my A8....so...the S8 only cost $ 18K more & I think it is worth it. I will order Gray 2014 S8 when Audi $3K loyalty credit is available. I plan to add driver assistance package, lane assist package, night vision assistant & 5 arm rotor wheels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A8 + $30K = S8. where does that money go?