A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMI and iTunes Match/Infinite Music

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AMI and iTunes Match/Infinite Music

I hadn't noticed, but, if you have music that is NOT on your iPhone attached to AMI, it can still be on your playlist.

If you have the MMI SIM card installed, and your phone linked to it over Wi-Fi, your playlists will display tracks both on your phone and "in the cloud."

I have a metric buttload of music. While I've been amusing myself endlessly by having over 100MB of carefully curated media in the car, I'm thrilled to find that I don't even need to bother! Instead of trying to figure out which tracks and playlists I want to load on SD, which on DVD and which on the phone, while carefully leaving enough space for document storage and podcasts on my phone, all I need to do is select by playlist or artist name!

It does glitch when the 3G data link is busy downloading a bunch of podcasts, or when I'm in a bad service area, but I can pretty much pick anything in my collection and be listening to it in under ten seconds.

The newest problem is that I can spin the MMI controller for about 30 seconds and only get to the "B"s

This is like having infinite storage space!

Also, i did not know that playlists will sync across your Apple devices over cellular or Wi-Fi. This INCLUDES the recently purchased, recently played, top 25 played playlists as well as "smart" playlists created through iTunes on my laptop.

For example, I have a playlist for songs I haven't rated, that are in the jazz genre, but have listened to less than 3 times, AND have not skipped more than twice. So if I don't like a track, I just skip it. After a few times, it doesn't play anymore. When I get around to it, I have a playlist for songs that are unrated, but skipped >2 times, and can easily deal with it.

This is mind-blowing for me!

About the only thing I haven't figured out is how to deal with new music I discover from Pandora, the radio, or one of my music podcasts. Technically I can have Siri "Add Sail by AWOLNation to my itunes shopping list", but I can't do that without pulling over and handling my phone. Hopefully that will be solved with Siri Eyes Free.

If Pandora were smart, they would make the Bluetooth "Rewind" event add tracks to your shopping list. Hmmm...I think I'll suggest that to them, though it doesn't help for other music sources.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good info, and confirmation of something I've been meaning to try,

This also ties in very nicely with something else that has piqued my interest.

Take a look at this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2845985

Yes.... that IS an Apple TV you are seeing on the MMI
Old 04-21-2013, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

More research and I found part # 4F0051510N 'Cinch' adapter.

I remembered seeing this in the MMI manual, checked again, and yep it was there.
That's getting ordered pronto !

Combine that with this HDMI to composite adapter and wow, the possibilities....
I don't have RSE, but doesn't that come with another AMI input ?
Easy way to add a game console for the kids, etc.

Amazon.com: ViewHD Universal HDMI to Composite / AV Video Converter, Support PAL / NTSC Standard TVs: Electronics Amazon.com: ViewHD Universal HDMI to Composite / AV Video Converter, Support PAL / NTSC Standard TVs: Electronics
Old 04-21-2013, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
Good info, and confirmation of something I've been meaning to try,

This also ties in very nicely with something else that has piqued my interest.

Take a look at this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2845985

Yes.... that IS an Apple TV you are seeing on the MMI
Wow... (jaw drops on floor)

But what are the controls like? I would want to be able to select stuff from the DIS using the steering wheel, preferably not need to fondle my iPhone or iPad while driving.

BTW, that was PhotoShop'ed in. If it were an actual display, the left edge wouldn't form a triangle on the left side...
Old 04-22-2013, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The remote is a little bigger than a stick of gum:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...A/apple-remote

Short of Siri or "Eyes Free" it would be like anything else, control it while parked.
The interface is a lot nicer than the Audi one though.
I have an iPod with something like 50k songs and never use it because you have to scroll through....

I can't say if it was photoshopped or not - the A6 screen is set back in the dash so it's hard to tell.
The PDF that shows the install in the other thread looks legit, and logically it would work.

Last edited by jakematic; 04-23-2013 at 06:41 AM. Reason: picture link broken, linked to Apple store instead
Old 04-26-2013, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

FYI - ordered 4F0051510N from AudiUSAparts.com and it superseded to 4F0051510AA
Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The AMI cable arrived today.
Everything is here including the Apple TV.

Now to figure out how I want to package it all up to go in the A8.
Mostly concerned about the voltage inverter and how it will all fit in the armrest.

Name:  Cinch_zps42feb293.jpg
Views: 2866
Size:  99.0 KB
Name:  ATV_zps12add302.jpg
Views: 2888
Size:  81.8 KB
Old 05-04-2013, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Talking Trial run

Trial run accomplished and this if freaking awesome.
The real bonus is I beat my brother to the punch - he's putting one in his wife's Infiniti.
The guys at the Audi dealership should get a kick out of it next week too when I'm in for 5K service.

Now that I know how everything will fit am going to package it all up and cable tie it before final install.
The Apple TV will very likely be velcroed to the underside of the armrest to leave space in the cubby.

The resolution is good even though the phone didn't like taking pictures of the MMI display.
Those moire patterns are not in the actual video.
Did not play around with the MMI settings to try to fill the screen or anything - that is a project for another day.

Haven't tried much other than iTunes Match playing some songs via Audi Connect.
Was in a pretty patchy location today and the T-Mo iPhone hotspot was performing better for some reason.

Ended up using this inverter due to size and minimal wattage requirements:
Amazon.com: BESTEK 150w power inverter car dc 12v to 110v ac inverter dc adapter laptop charger notebook adapter dc charger ac adapter usb charger Dual USB 3.1A MRI1511FU: Car Electronics Amazon.com: BESTEK 150w power inverter car dc 12v to 110v ac inverter dc adapter laptop charger notebook adapter dc charger ac adapter usb charger Dual USB 3.1A MRI1511FU: Car Electronics
It's an amazing little unit and I'm getting another one to keep in the rear console.
Name:  Bestek_zpsf06fad90.png
Views: 2799
Size:  58.3 KB

Main Menu
Name:  IMG_0200_zpsd4ea9e29.jpg
Views: 2792
Size:  84.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0198_zps1ab00bc4.jpg
Views: 2864
Size:  100.0 KB

Hulu Plus
Name:  IMG_0199_zpsd09b3b5e.jpg
Views: 2823
Size:  83.0 KB

AirPlay movie from iPhone
Name:  IMG_0201_zpse301b6c1.jpg
Views: 2845
Size:  85.9 KB
Old 05-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice setup Jake!

I also setup streaming content to my S6 =)
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2846402
Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks - jealous of how your armrest cubby is laid out