A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Activation FOB key when engine running

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Activation FOB key when engine running

Hello, how to activate FOB key while the car is running. I searched and couldn't find it. I could only find it for VW Passat and Q7, but I could not find it for our cars.

The country I live in is very cold, I have to lock and leave the car while engine running.

I have VCDS.
Old 01-21-2024, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by grkmspr
Hello, how to activate FOB key while the car is running. I searched and couldn't find it. I could only find it for VW Passat and Q7, but I could not find it for our cars.

The country I live in is very cold, I have to lock and leave the car while engine running.

I have VCDS.
I’ve not seen a work around. I just use the key to lock the doors.
Old 01-21-2024, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kabukie
I’ve not seen a work around. I just use the key to lock the doors.
I will also use it to lock the doors, you will see that it doesn't work when you press the key on/off buttons while the engine is running or "idle on".

I want to start the car first, then get out and lock it with the key.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts

Variously:

1. You are in an area where traditionally Audi has engineered it exactly the opposite. They don't want owners locking keys in the car inadvertently. That is probably already the 95%+ case. It is also not legal in various countries in Europe as I recall to leave a car idling, at least in more tightly emissions regulated areas. Audi is throwing in the towel in USA--only starting with 2024 models as I understand it--to enable remote starting. That in turn requires current version/successor of Audi Connect as I understand it, which locks in a pricy subscription.

2. For clarity/rest of answer, there is no simple setting change to enable what you want to do, whether in the MMI function or in a known coding change with VCDS or similar tool.

2. I think the way folks overcome this typically is an add on hardware device wired into the car, apparently often using an actual programmed key fob buried in that hardware. That of course uses one of the two keys you have. There have been posts too where owners run into battery drain issues, and also later owners who belatedly find it wired in and have difficulty unscrambling it. Search on it if interested.

3. Not ideal, but look into the physical door lock for drivers door. Awkward to even access--you have to remove the back part of the door handle trim--and leave it off for any continued use. Owner's manual describes it. That is how you open door if battery is dead. I have never tried it with the engine running and key in vehicle scenario. Other doors (and trunk) would already need to be locked too. A weird nuance to know is you can get an Audi side key physically duplicated using a blank from a shop who duplicates side cut keys. They do NOT have the chip to start car. All they will do it open or lock that door, the trunk or the glove box. But it is a way to not use two full Audi remote keys for this kind of approach.

4. In areas I am in California USA, unfortunately I would just not do this in many places, just given the criminal realities these days. Indirectly, it seems like you are thinking that to an extent if you want engine running but car locked. In San Francisco Bay Area, it can be a set up for a fast break in and drive away by a thief. Punch out small rear window behind back seat for minimal noise, reach in, and car gone...with a real key...in under one minute. In SF Bay Area--and these days probably other metropolitan areas-- the now stolen vehicle is used to commit other crimes, often very quickly before it is even reported as stolen. Smash and grab may be the worst, where vehicle is used as a battering ram to break down doors, gates, etc. to steal other valuables, a portable ATM machine, lottery tickets, whatever. Vehicle is left behind, and camera footage worthless as far as identifying your now wrecked vehicle halfway in some building. Has sort of replaced (or supplemented) the prior low life technique of hooking a chain to their own vehicle and pulling; that risks added detection of their actual vehicle.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-23-2024 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This worked by default in the A8 D3 and I used hundreds of times, but I have not been able to activate it in the D4 and have googled relentlessly and tried the coding for other models.
I may get another key cut as when using the fob key the fob metal rubs on the handle paint and will eventually scuff it.
Locking is easier, you can open the driver's window, close the door, lock it with the electrical button inside the door and then use the on-touch comfort closing to close the window.