A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 4.0TT Have your turbos blown yet?
2013 - NO
19.23%
2013 - YES
13.56%
2014 - NO
11.13%
2014 - YES
6.07%
2015 - NO
13.77%
2015 - YES
5.67%
2016 - NO
14.17%
2016 - YES
3.04%
2017 - NO
11.34%
2017 - YES
2.02%
Voters: 494. You may not vote on this poll

4.0TT Turbo Failure Thread - S6 S7 RS7 A8 S8

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 01:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nandor690
yes we know. But that guy was saying that the oil bypass will bypass the filter when at high rpm’s. Which is nonsense.
not sure why anyone would think the screen would get bypassed.
he brought that up when I suggested to just remove the screen all together
I brought the oil filter bypass up because, when the oil filter is being bypassed at high RPM/load, and the screen has been removed, completely unfiltered oil/debris will be sent to the turbo bearings. This is obviously not good for the turbo.

The worst situation is (1) the screen becoming plugged and there is no oil flow to the turbo. The second worse situation is (2) that the screen is removed and unfiltered oil/debris is sent through the turbo during filter bypass conditions.

What’s not really known is if the newer coarse mesh screen is the best solution (prevents bypass debris in turbo), or if no screen at all is the best solution (prevents possibility of clogged screen oil starvation).

In my opinion, more frequent oil changes definitely do not hurt, but it’s not clear that they help either. The turbo failures are caused by oil starvation due to debris buildup in the screen. The debris buildup happens because the oil filter is occasionally bypassed. None of this is due to oil/additive breakdown. It’s also not due to the oil filter becoming plugged and not working. But rather it’s because the engine was designed to completely by pass the oil filter under high RPM/load and allow unfiltered oil, which occasionally contains debris, to be sent to the turbo.

I think the best way to prevent this situation is to completely avoid high RPM/load filter bypass conditions. But what’s the fun in that? Buying an A6/A7 with the V6 engine is a better option at that point.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very interesting. I didn’t know that the engine can avoid the regular filter under high load.

It certainly begs the question of what engineer would design a filter and not have a way to remove inevitable filter cake. Maybe one thinks it’s not common for there to be debris to filer, but the whole point of the thing is to stick that debris on the filter.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:41 AM
Flagship addict

Received 119 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
Very interesting. I didn’t know that the engine can avoid the regular filter under high load.

It certainly begs the question of what engineer would design a filter and not have a way to remove inevitable filter cake. Maybe one thinks it’s not common for there to be debris to filer, but the whole point of the thing is to stick that debris on the filter.
Is has been a thing since the 60s, it was found to be preferable to have a engine use unfiltered oil vs no oil at all if a filter was full.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Oil bypass

Originally Posted by Striker2237
Is has been a thing since the 60s, it was found to be preferable to have a engine use unfiltered oil vs no oil at all if a filter was full.
Actually the Jaguar XK engine developed right after WWII and first used in the 1948 XK120 had a pressure relief valve in the oil filter housing that bypasses the oil filter if the pressure in the filter becomes too high. This is the engine that won Le Mans 5 times in the '50s so something was done correctly. I'm sure there are more engines from this era that have the same system.
The following users liked this post:
schalliol (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I believe another factor should be looked at by those D4 owners who are on the fence about installing the revised oil screen. To wit, are they going to have to keep their cars quite a bit longer than they originally anticipated? I say this because we could be in for a deep and prolonged shortage of replacement vehicles, both new and used. Anyone who doubts this should drive past dealer lots; I just did so about an hour ago. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Lexus, and Honda. Virtually no new cars, just a few used cars where the new cars were previously parked.

if it were me, based upon the lack of reports about the new screen failing, I would make the switch. I should add, my D4 purportedly received the new oil screen when it was manufactured over four years ago, and to say that has been a comfort , would be an understatement.

One other thing; I believe there is an ongoing NTSB investigation into this issue, and there is always the chance the government will order a fix. Typically, such an order would require reimbursement to owners who had already done the fix, so if you do the job right away, there is a chance you may be reimbursed. That’s some comfort, anyway.

another reason to take care of the fix soon is the possibility of parts shortages. I say this because I have recently encountered significant delays in obtaining normal replacement parts; specifically, a set of Cayenne brake rotors, and a coil pack for a 997. The paradox would be, if the TSB ordered a fix, and then the supply chain couldn’t deliver the required parts.

lost in the attention given to the turbos is the lack of any other major issues with the 4.0 TSFI engine, or the D4 in general.

mike

Last edited by Mike911A8; 09-12-2021 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:10 AM
Super-Duper User

Received 486 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Nandor690
yes we know. But that guy was saying that the oil bypass will bypass the filter when at high rpm’s. Which is nonsense.
not sure why anyone would think the screen would get bypassed.
he brought that up when I suggested to just remove the screen all together
I was agreeing with Mr. Striker's previous comment..
Agreed... Nonsense!
"The 4.0L V8 TFSI engine uses a flow-rate controlled oil pump. The pump operates in two pressure stages. In addition, the oil supply to the engine is constantly adjusted through volumetric fl ow control of the pump in both pressure stages. By using this pump, it was possible to reduce fuel consumption. In lower rpm range, the pump is operated in a low pressure stage (reduced output capacity). The low pressure level is at a relative pressure of approximately 29.0 psi (2 bar). The high pressure level is controlled to a value of approximately 65.3 psi (4.5 bar). The pressure relief valve in the pump opens at approximately 159.5 psi (11 bar)." (Engine self study program 920223)
But again, I'm just trying to bury this ancient topic, which has been discussed Ad Nauseam... hundreds of posts ago in this very thread, IIRC. I myself suggested screen removal months ago.

Last edited by A8L_New_England; 09-12-2021 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:25 AM
Super-Duper User

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
lost in the attention given to the turbos is the lack of any other major issues with the 4.0 TSFI engine, or the D4 in general.
Maybe take a quick look through the other 5200+ threads on this forum...
Old 09-12-2021, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by A8L_New_England
Maybe take a quick look through the other 5200+ threads on this forum...
I’ll take your silence as to the main thrust of my post as agreement. Thank you.

as to my general statement you apparently challenge, I note that your 4.0 has a stage one tune, and I can’t imagine that you would have gone that route if you didn’t have faith in the engine.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:48 PM
Super-Duper User

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
I’ll take your silence as to the main thrust of my post as agreement. Thank you. As to my general statement you apparently challenge, I note that your 4.0 has a stage one tune, and I can’t imagine that you would have gone that route if you didn’t have faith in the engine.
Don't know where you sense a challenge... I found no reason to argue with your points of speculation. My crystal ball is broken.
Re/ my decision to tune, it's probably more of "I just don't care", than having a lot of faith in any machine. If it breaks, I'll fix it. Additionally, I bought it 20K miles after new turbos (and screen) were installed. I do 5K drain and fills, and 10K filter changes. Next time the turbos quit, I'll pull the screen out, and run it like the other 99.9% of cars that don't have one.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:02 PM
Flagship addict

Received 119 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by A8L_New_England
Don't know where you sense a challenge... I found no reason to argue with your points of speculation. My crystal ball is broken.
Re/ my decision to tune, it's probably more of "I just don't care", than having a lot of faith in any machine. If it breaks, I'll fix it. Additionally, I bought it 20K miles after new turbos (and screen) were installed. I do 5K drain and fills, and 10K filter changes. Next time the turbos quit, I'll pull the screen out, and run it like the other 99.9% of cars that don't have one.
Amen to that mentality

Quick Reply: 4.0TT Turbo Failure Thread - S6 S7 RS7 A8 S8