A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 4.0TT Have your turbos blown yet?
2013 - NO
19.23%
2013 - YES
13.56%
2014 - NO
11.13%
2014 - YES
6.07%
2015 - NO
13.77%
2015 - YES
5.67%
2016 - NO
14.17%
2016 - YES
3.04%
2017 - NO
11.34%
2017 - YES
2.02%
Voters: 494. You may not vote on this poll

4.0TT Turbo Failure Thread - S6 S7 RS7 A8 S8

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 04:29 AM
Super-Duper User

Received 486 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-60 under 4
It would be good to have a document outlining parts covered by Emmissions Waranty to back up the claim.
I think I saw some information about this in one of the previous 689 posts. Give the search function a try, and see what pops up!
Old 06-09-2021, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Posting #123 has pictures of the 2015 Audi Models, California Emmissions Waranty Supplement.

Posting #332 has pictures of the 2018 Audi Models, California Emmissions Waranty Supplement.

Both supplements show New Jersey, Washington state, Oregon, and California as some of the states covered. Both supplements indicate that the turbochargers are covered, in the tables at the back, under the
7 year/70,000 miles CARB emissions warranty.

It would be very helpful if someone on this site, who has a 21016 A8, would be kind enough to post
pictures of the 2016 Audi Models, California Emmissions Waranty Supplement. Hopefully, the same states listed are the same states under the 7 year/70,000 miles CARB emissions warranty.

The dealer told me, that even though my vehicle was past the48 Months/50,000 Miles warranty, the TSB was utilized to determine the damage. This was how the 7 year/70,000 miles CARB emissions warranty coverage was determined, and applied for authorizing the repair.

Getting into the details early on with the dealer, changed the original $6,200.00 repair of one turbocharger, to both turbochargers being replaced under warranty. The difference between a good job and a great job, is paying attention to the last 5% of detail (an old cliche from my engineering career).

Hopefully, you will have an equitable result with the dealer.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CARB States,

The states that have adopted the California standards are: Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year and later), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington (2009 model year and later), as well as the District of Columbia.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:05 PM
Super-Duper User

Originally Posted by hdlarry
CARB States,

The states that have adopted the California standards are: Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year and later), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington (2009 model year and later), as well as the District of Columbia.

Here you go

Old 06-14-2021, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lupinetti3
Do you have a 2016 Audi Models, California Emmissions Waranty Supplement, in addition to your Audi Owners Manual? If you do, you need to find the information with regards to the 7 year/70,000 miles CARB emissions warranty, and the individual states that are covered by it. You might be covered in Washington state.

Did the dealer evaluate your vehicle per the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 21 18 29 2044640/4? You say that dealer claims the failure was due to the screen and check valve (poor oil supply of turbocharger, is a root cause finding per the TSB).

Per the TSB, the other root causes that would disqualify Audi honoring the warranty are;
1. Performance increases by tuned ECM
*2. Non-compliance with service intervals.
*3. Incorrectly fitted oil filter element
*4. Leaks in intake tracts allowing outside unfiltered air and debris into the turbocharger

*Note: You need to have all your service records available to have any chance for warranty consideration.

Like I said, my car was purchased as an Audi Certified Pre Owned, and I purchased additional years of Audi Care. The root cause was found to be poor oil supply of turbocharger, per the TSB. My car has not been modified. Audi has all my car's service records. Audi has no issue with honoring the 7 year/70,000 miles CARB emissions warranty.
Originally Posted by A8L_New_England

Here you go

LOL

OK, update to my situation: after multiple conversations with the dealer the issue was raised to Audi USA. Corporate office honored extended warranty and has given dealer their blessing to perform the fix under extended warranty by TSB with no cost to me.

It would have been a much pleasurable experience if a dealer would have the extended warranty information up front, check it before suggesting to load the amount onto a customer.

Thank you to all you guys that helped me through this experience.
Cheers.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (02-20-2022)
Old 06-15-2021, 12:05 AM
Super-Duper User

Originally Posted by 0-60 under 4
LOL OK, update to my situation: after multiple conversations with the dealer the issue was raised to Audi USA. Corporate office honored extended warranty and has given dealer their blessing to perform the fix under extended warranty by TSB with no cost to me. It would have been a much pleasurable experience if a dealer would have the extended warranty information up front, check it before suggesting to load the amount onto a customer.
Welcome to "The Great Value-Added Audi Experience".
I'd rather get a root canal, rather than what I hear many folks go through.
Best of luck, and welcome to the club. Keep us posted!
09S5 (02-20-2022)
Old 06-15-2021, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Smile 2016 S6: no issues so far, looking for options

I’ve only read about half this thread so I apologize if I passed the obvious. Here is my fact pattern:
  • 2016 S6
  • Delivery: September 30, 2016 at Audi Marin (San Rafael, CA)
  • First owner: October 12, 2016 3-year lease titled in Greenbrae, CA
  • Second owner: January 27, 2020 titled in Tennessee
  • Third owner (me): Bought December 28, 2020 at Porsche Nashville; now titled and driven in Oklahoma
Miscellany:
  • ~29,800 miles on the car
  • Audi Care expires March 30, 2022 or 57,000 miles
  • Oklahoma has NO emissions testing
  • Car passed a pre-purchase inspection by an independent mechanic in Nashville at ~25,800 miles
  • Per local Audi dealer, the car has not been modded
  • I’m not modded
Any input on my situation, specifically for CA/CARB 7-year / 70,000-mile coverage of the turbos? No issues with the car, just trying to plan this thing out best I can. Thanks to everyone who has contributed thus far. The wealth of info and expertise is somewhat overwhelming.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:08 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by FourRingFreddy
I’ve only read about half this thread so I apologize if I passed the obvious. Here is my fact pattern:
  • 2016 S6
  • Delivery: September 30, 2016 at Audi Marin (San Rafael, CA)
  • First owner: October 12, 2016 3-year lease titled in Greenbrae, CA
  • Second owner: January 27, 2020 titled in Tennessee
  • Third owner (me): Bought December 28, 2020 at Porsche Nashville; now titled and driven in Oklahoma
Miscellany:
  • ~29,800 miles on the car
  • Audi Care expires March 30, 2022 or 57,000 miles
  • Oklahoma has NO emissions testing
  • Car passed a pre-purchase inspection by an independent mechanic in Nashville at ~25,800 miles
  • Per local Audi dealer, the car has not been modded
  • I’m not modded
Any input on my situation, specifically for CA/CARB 7-year / 70,000-mile coverage of the turbos? No issues with the car, just trying to plan this thing out best I can. Thanks to everyone who has contributed thus far. The wealth of info and expertise is somewhat overwhelming.
CARB warranty is based solely on the first location where the car was originally sold from the dealer/manufacturer.
Since it was CA then it is definitely covered hence the CA in CARB.
From there is it does not matter where the car goes it always carriers that CARB warranty.

As a matter of fact there should be a booklet in with the manual indicating the CARB info put in cars sold in CARB states, unless the previous owners tossed it.

Last edited by gk1; 06-15-2021 at 06:10 PM.
FourRingFreddy (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Cool the more information, the better

Originally Posted by gk1
CARB warranty is based solely on the first location where the car was originally sold from the dealer/manufacturer.
Since it was CA then it is definitely covered hence the CA in CARB.
From there is it does not matter where the car goes it always carriers that CARB warranty.

As a matter of fact there should be a booklet in with the manual indicating the CARB info put in cars sold in CARB states, unless the previous owners tossed it.
Thank you for your response. I did locate the 2016 Audi Models California Emissions Warranty Supplement (item number MY16AUCAEMWAR23) that came with my car. The language seems...murky regarding what cars qualify for 7-year/70,000-mile coverage. Here are my conclusions having (now) read this entire thread:
  1. ORIGINALLY SOLD IN and CURRENTLY TITLED IN a CARB state - good to go
  2. NOT ORIGINALLY SOLD IN a CARB state and CURRENTLY TITLED IN a CARB state - probably not covered
  3. ORIGINALLY SOLD IN and NOT CURRENTLY TITLED IN a CARB state - maybe good to go?
Summary of contact with Audi:
  • Emailed Audi almost a week ago (AudiTalk@audi.com) with my VIN and ownership info asking for clarification. No response yet.
  • Called Audi corporate almost a week ago and spoke with a nice lady who didn't have an answer for me but said she would email me an answer. No response yet.
  • Spoke with my local Audi Service Advisor who coordinated my recent 35,000-mile service (everything went fine). He doesn't have any information, although when I first spoke with him he acknowledged blown turbos can happen and he had seen a few A8s recently with the problem.
I don't want to complain as I have a great car that currently runs fine. But I also want to temper my expectations. Is there a definitive source regarding #2 and #3 above? I appreciate everyone's time and I truly feel for everyone in this thread (and beyond) who have gone through this - from the guy whose family beach vacation was ruined to the guy whose car broke down literally across the street from the dealer; the guys who got it all covered under warranty, those who received some Audi goodwill,the guys who paid out of pocket and the guys going bigger turbos and modding.

Anything specific where we can pin Audi down on this? I love reading y'alls stories but I'm one of those "put it in writing"-type guys. Hell, I don't even mind doing the legwork if someone can provide specific phone numbers and email addresses to reach out to
Old 06-16-2021, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thumbs up enquiring minds want to know!

Originally Posted by tx170754
I may be wrong but apparently if the car was originally sold in a CARB state the 7 years extended warranty still applies regardless where is the car currently, my service adviser confirmed that the last time I was there....
If it's not too creepy, can I contact your Service Advisor? My PMs are open. I would LOVE to get a definitive sourced answer to this and share it with the community

Quick Reply: 4.0TT Turbo Failure Thread - S6 S7 RS7 A8 S8