A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.0 turbo Audi warranty extension announced

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 06:37 AM
Super-Duper User

Received 486 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by OberklasseA8
They dont want people coming back with blown motors or turbos.. They specifically mention they will "test turbo performance" in the article. I think turbo replacements will be approved as needed. We should all rejoice !
It's yet to be seen. I have posted more comments on this topic in another thread. We have at least three threads on this same discussion now!
Old 03-30-2022, 11:36 AM
Flagship addict

Received 119 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Surreel
Well as I read the details in the recall, it sure does describe the condition of my turbos (impeller blade wear and contact with housing) and gives me hope they will indeed replace them because of this. "A blocked oil strainer within the oil supply for the turbocharger leads to a lack of lubrication of the turbocharger bearings. This causes wear on the bearings and, as a result, the turbine wheel of the turbocharger may contact the housing, or the turbocharger shaft can break. This could lead to a lack of power or even stalling, which could increase the risk of a crash."
Jesus man, please tell me you are not using the car with it like that?
Old 03-30-2022, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Petea8
You are correct that not all wear items are defective. However, when a deign flaw results in a failure that can cause a dangerous situation, the company is likely liable. That liability increases when they know about the defect, but fail to disclose the defect and allow consumers to randomly experience a catastrophic engine failure. The NHTSA has now found that the oil strainer is an unsafe defect, and thus, has ordered a recall. The repair is at a minimum a new designed oil strainer (hopefully the new design does not clog). It seems that if the turbos have already suffered damage, the recall should include replace of such turbos. Product liability law is well developed and I would have to have more information on when Audi first learned of the defect. Moreover, was the oil strainer “state of the art” design (i.e., could another design have reasonably been used). I think the available evidence demonstrates that the oil strainer could of (and should have) been designed differently. There was also the potential to have replacement of the oil strainer been a maintenance item. I suspect Audi might have thought having such a maintenance item would have been poorly received by customers. I certainly would have viewed it negatively. But I would have preferred knowing that, rather than having a dangerous and disruptive engine failure. It is for these, and others reasons I am so disappointed in Audi’s actions to date.
The whole timeline is in the following letter, and it's pretty interesting. Audi all along denied it was a safety issue, instead claiming it was just a quality issue, but NHTSA seems to have kept pushing that maybe it was, until Audi finally decided to do the voluntary recall; NHTSA did not order the recall (though whether they would have ordered one eventually if Audi didn't voluntarily do it, I have no idea).

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...2V178-9222.pdf
Old 03-30-2022, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker2237
Yes I am. No other choice at this stage. They sent me on my way, awaiting failure so warranty would kick in. Seems nuts, but now the recall. I contacted my service advisor today. No reply...
Old 03-30-2022, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Striker2237

Nobody F**Ks with the Jesus Man.

"Im gonna run both those turbos until they go...... CLICK"
The following users liked this post:
DeadBirdDog (03-31-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 04:03 PM
Super-Duper User

Received 486 Likes on 387 Posts

O... you been drinking again, man?
Old 03-31-2022, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rechlin
The whole timeline is in the following letter, and it's pretty interesting. Audi all along denied it was a safety issue, instead claiming it was just a quality issue, but NHTSA seems to have kept pushing that maybe it was, until Audi finally decided to do the voluntary recall; NHTSA did not order the recall (though whether they would have ordered one eventually if Audi didn't voluntarily do it, I have no idea).

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...2V178-9222.pdf
Thank you for posting. Here is my take. At best, Audi is disingenuous. So it wasn’t until March 16, 2022 that they agreed it was a safety issue. From well before 2017 and after they redesigned the screen and certainly from tests in Summer of 2021, they knew that “due to turbo failure, the engine might run rough, experience reduced performance, idle poorly and may show long cranking times.” But they state that “testing did not show stalling conditions without prior indications.” So for my experience when driving on the highway and the car started having all sorts of issues, I guess I did have “indications’ prior to stalling. Sure,like 2 minutes and then it stalled. Luckily we were close to an exit and we were able to limp along and get off. Then it just died. So Audi knew for more than 5 years that the oil screen could cause complete turbo failure without any notice, but decided, until two weeks ago, it was not a safety issue. Their redesign of the screen alone is evidence that they knew this could happen. Why would you want to tell your customers that they were driving ticking time mobs. Thank goodness for this Forum and the NHTSA. Audi would never have “done the right thing” without this campaign. This will turn out to be a bad business decision, as it will cost money but also further erode their brand. The culture that caused the emission scandal remains. I wonder if the fines and penalties that they had to pay has put so much financial pressure that their quality, that their brand will just continue a downward path. I used to be an Audie enthusiast, but “used to” is where I am at. I have had other instances on this car alone has disappointed me. Thanks again Audiworld
Old 03-31-2022, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have been driving all kind of Audi's for the last 4 decades, the Dieselgate and this turbo issue made me rethink about the brand... it is the first time that I'm "Audi less" and I'm not so sure if I'm going back.....
Old 04-01-2022, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by tx170754
I have been driving all kind of Audi's for the last 4 decades, the Dieselgate and this turbo issue made me rethink about the brand... it is the first time that I'm "Audi less" and I'm not so sure if I'm going back.....

"He's was way over the line DUDE"
Old 04-01-2022, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by A8L_New_England
O... you been drinking again, man?
No... Just my normal happy self!

Quick Reply: 4.0 turbo Audi warranty extension announced