A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

22-Way Seats and Other Audi Tips and Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 22-Way Seats and Other Audi Tips and Tricks

My car has had the replacement seat control module installed and is acting normally.

I haven't been able to do much with the seats until now, but they do work a treat.

1. If you set the seat bolsters (leg and side), the seat appears to wrap around you when you hit the ignition, and fall away when you open the driver side door.

2. The massage function is incredible once you've set the seat to cradle you. In particular, bringing the shoulders forward is an adjustment worth getting right.

3. I had no idea how much more comfortable the seat would be with the thigh support adjusted just perfectly.

4. I've found that having the seat close to the ground, with the seat belt height adjusted accordingly makes the car feel so much sportier.

Also, (and yes, you're going to think I'm paranoid and picky).

5. On the A8, it seems even more important (than on the A6) to set all the vents (front, rear, don't forget side and center) so that they're on and blowing toward their "center" position. There's a notch for nearly all of them. Passengers tend to always want to change the vent positions because their "lesser" climate control systems just blast cold air or heat. Like a certain family member who remains convinced that setting the thermostat at 60 degrees, then moving it to 80 once everyone in the house has icicles on their noses, is better than just leaving it at 74.

6. For the curious, A8L's with the reclining rear seats seem to have exactly the same trunk space as those without. The hybrids lose the front half of the trunk. If you carry a lot of stuff, or need 60/40 fold down seats, the A6 has cargo space in abundance. Four decent-sized suitcases will utterly consume the trunk on an A8.

7. The panorama sunroof only "opens" in front. It tilts in front/back, but the back does NOT move if the front part is open.

8. Hit the "child lock" buttons if you have rear passengers who constantly want to open/close the windows (another giveaway that someone only rides in "lesser" cars). In the A8, those controls are for the sun shades and panoramic roof. Which reminds me...always check that the roof is physically closed from the outside/top. Your passengers generally wont realize that they've caused the rear moonroof to be popped open while they were trying to open a rear window, especially if the sunshade is covering the moonroof.

9. On my A6, I always opened and closed the trunk myself. There's a handle inside the trunk that can be used to close the trunk without touching the paint. Just say "no" to palm prints on a freshly waxed car. On the A8, you don't want someone trying to force the trunk closed because they don't see the "trunk" button.

10. Another pet peeve... I always do my best to open/close my passenger's doors, if I'm quick enough. I try to show them that the door will "self-close" since some seem convinced that a car door must be slammed closed with the force of Mike Tyson's fists against Robin Givens' head. Also, I always close the doors by putting my hand in the handle and nudging it close enough that the self-close mechanism finishes the job. No fingerprints on paint or glass. I don't know which annoys me more...closing a door by pushing the glass, or smearing fingers across the door panel.

11. If you're going through a shopping center with speed bumps, consider tapping CAR-->Raise to give the car a bit of extra clearance.

12. If you're backing out of a blind parking spot, the rear view cameras tend to show a bit of side traffic as well. It's not a lot, but it may be enough to help you avoid an accident.

13. Don't forget about the bag holders in the trunk. I also use them when I get take out, since a trunk that smells like food is far better than a passenger cabin that smells like one. I always take the bag's left-most handle and wrap it around the right side, the right-most around the left side.

14. The door side compartments are perfect for Totes mini-umbrellas.

15. On cold days, you can select the passenger and/or rear seats and turn on the seat heaters for your passengers, all from MMI. You don't need to contort yourself to reach the controls. Also, even if the rear console is folded up (to make room for 3 passengers in the back), you can still change the rear climate and seat controls from MMI.

16. In addition to remembering that Audi recommends "TOP TIER" gas for the A8/S8, never buy gas while the station's tanks are being refilled or for 20 minutes afterward. Water and crud tends to get stirred up during the process and will find its way into your car's tank. The best time to buy gas is in the early morning hours, an hour before or after sunrise. Less evaporation (because it's colder), and the crud in the station's tanks will generally be settled if the station opens in the morning.

17. For best audio quality with AMI or over Bluetooth, turn the volume on your iPhone or other device to max or just below and use the car's volume control from there. MMI also has an input volume control, but the default is generally best.

18. Voice recognition works very reliably if you go through the training session (from the MMI setup menu).

19. The glove compartment is air-conditioned, if you so choose. It's the perfect place for emergency medications. On hot days, I'll also throw my sunglasses in there to cool them down.

20. Drive out to an empty parking lot and practice using the parking cameras. It's quite amazing how easy it is to back into a parking spot with the guides.

A final thought:

I was horrified yesterday as one of my coworkers used the bumper of someone else's car as leverage for tying her boot on tighter. Maybe I'm the only one who tries not to touch other people's stuff. Having left a rubber scuff mark on the paint, she showed no remorse and was rather miffed that I mentioned it. Our other companions also seemed to think nothing of it. I know I would've thrown a conniption fit if someone had their shoe propped against my bumper. Am I overly sensitive?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm betting you snap lines before you manicure your lawn?
Old 02-03-2013, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wilfred2k5
My car has had the replacement seat control module installed and is acting normally.

I haven't been able to do much with the seats until now, but they do work a treat.

1. If you set the seat bolsters (leg and side), the seat appears to wrap around you when you hit the ignition, and fall away when you open the driver side door.

2. The massage function is incredible once you've set the seat to cradle you. In particular, bringing the shoulders forward is an adjustment worth getting right.

3. I had no idea how much more comfortable the seat would be with the thigh support adjusted just perfectly.

4. I've found that having the seat close to the ground, with the seat belt height adjusted accordingly makes the car feel so much sportier.

Also, (and yes, you're going to think I'm paranoid and picky).

5. On the A8, it seems even more important (than on the A6) to set all the vents (front, rear, don't forget side and center) so that they're on and blowing toward their "center" position. There's a notch for nearly all of them. Passengers tend to always want to change the vent positions because their "lesser" climate control systems just blast cold air or heat. Like a certain family member who remains convinced that setting the thermostat at 60 degrees, then moving it to 80 once everyone in the house has icicles on their noses, is better than just leaving it at 74.

6. For the curious, A8L's with the reclining rear seats seem to have exactly the same trunk space as those without. The hybrids lose the front half of the trunk. If you carry a lot of stuff, or need 60/40 fold down seats, the A6 has cargo space in abundance. Four decent-sized suitcases will utterly consume the trunk on an A8.

7. The panorama sunroof only "opens" in front. It tilts in front/back, but the back does NOT move if the front part is open.

8. Hit the "child lock" buttons if you have rear passengers who constantly want to open/close the windows (another giveaway that someone only rides in "lesser" cars). In the A8, those controls are for the sun shades and panoramic roof. Which reminds me...always check that the roof is physically closed from the outside/top. Your passengers generally wont realize that they've caused the rear moonroof to be popped open while they were trying to open a rear window, especially if the sunshade is covering the moonroof.

9. On my A6, I always opened and closed the trunk myself. There's a handle inside the trunk that can be used to close the trunk without touching the paint. Just say "no" to palm prints on a freshly waxed car. On the A8, you don't want someone trying to force the trunk closed because they don't see the "trunk" button.

10. Another pet peeve... I always do my best to open/close my passenger's doors, if I'm quick enough. I try to show them that the door will "self-close" since some seem convinced that a car door must be slammed closed with the force of Mike Tyson's fists against Robin Givens' head. Also, I always close the doors by putting my hand in the handle and nudging it close enough that the self-close mechanism finishes the job. No fingerprints on paint or glass. I don't know which annoys me more...closing a door by pushing the glass, or smearing fingers across the door panel.

11. If you're going through a shopping center with speed bumps, consider tapping CAR-->Raise to give the car a bit of extra clearance.

12. If you're backing out of a blind parking spot, the rear view cameras tend to show a bit of side traffic as well. It's not a lot, but it may be enough to help you avoid an accident.

13. Don't forget about the bag holders in the trunk. I also use them when I get take out, since a trunk that smells like food is far better than a passenger cabin that smells like one. I always take the bag's left-most handle and wrap it around the right side, the right-most around the left side.

14. The door side compartments are perfect for Totes mini-umbrellas.

15. On cold days, you can select the passenger and/or rear seats and turn on the seat heaters for your passengers, all from MMI. You don't need to contort yourself to reach the controls. Also, even if the rear console is folded up (to make room for 3 passengers in the back), you can still change the rear climate and seat controls from MMI.

16. In addition to remembering that Audi recommends "TOP TIER" gas for the A8/S8, never buy gas while the station's tanks are being refilled or for 20 minutes afterward. Water and crud tends to get stirred up during the process and will find its way into your car's tank. The best time to buy gas is in the early morning hours, an hour before or after sunrise. Less evaporation (because it's colder), and the crud in the station's tanks will generally be settled if the station opens in the morning.

17. For best audio quality with AMI or over Bluetooth, turn the volume on your iPhone or other device to max or just below and use the car's volume control from there. MMI also has an input volume control, but the default is generally best.

18. Voice recognition works very reliably if you go through the training session (from the MMI setup menu).

19. The glove compartment is air-conditioned, if you so choose. It's the perfect place for emergency medications. On hot days, I'll also throw my sunglasses in there to cool them down.

20. Drive out to an empty parking lot and practice using the parking cameras. It's quite amazing how easy it is to back into a parking spot with the guides.

A final thought:

I was horrified yesterday as one of my coworkers used the bumper of someone else's car as leverage for tying her boot on tighter. Maybe I'm the only one who tries not to touch other people's stuff. Having left a rubber scuff mark on the paint, she showed no remorse and was rather miffed that I mentioned it. Our other companions also seemed to think nothing of it. I know I would've thrown a conniption fit if someone had their shoe propped against my bumper. Am I overly sensitive?
I appreciate all of the info. I'm using this post as info about the great things that the A8 does.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny how people completely disregard others property!

If you scuffed her shoe she would have maced you and had her bf kick you a$$.

Mike
Old 02-03-2013, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not picky, paranoid, or overly sensitive.
I could just as easily written this list
It's a great intro to the vehicle and I may print it out and make "new" passengers read it before getting in.

On the rear roof - I noticed a light in the overheard console lets you know it is open.
I trust, but verify visually.

#5, #8, #9, and #10 are massive pet peeves of mine.
"So what are you doing back there?" "Oh just pressing all the buttons..." <sigh>

#14 has turned me into an umbrellaholic - one in every door, 2 golf in the trunk.
And 2 mini spares I can swap around should one get wet or improperly stowed by a passenger.

#16 - I maintain an up to date printed list of http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html in the driver door pocket.
When on a long trip I make a note of brands and then watch the DIS for matching stations down the road, skipping those not on the list.

Cringed at the final thought.
People just don't care about other people's things like we do.
The joke in my neighborhood is when I walk the dog she likes to sniff around vehicles.
You hear me regularly say "Be careful Lucy! We don't want to scratch the car.." [whether it is a beat up 1989 Corolla or a D4].
I call that respect.

Last edited by jakematic; 02-03-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfred2k5
Am I overly sensitive?
I know, I know...

Except it's about my bikes... mess with my Harley's and you'll never forget what happens next.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
"So what are you doing back there?" "Oh just pressing all the buttons..." <sigh>
Scary thing is...that's PRECISELY the comment I get. So let's get this straight...you have no idea what the buttons do, so you're just going to press them anyhow? Stay away from the nuclear power plant...

Another pet peeve...the people who want to test drive YOUR car. Y'know, you can always go to the dealer and test drive to your heart's content.

Or the hilarious unsolicited comparison from today...a friend's boyfriend who drives a 2000 Lincoln LS complaining throughout dinner that my car's seats were made from cheap imitation leather, the piano black insets look like toy plastic, the cabin feels cramped and low-rent, the transmission shifts too roughly, and it looks like an old man's car.

I find it amazing that my car has been compared unfavorably to mid-range Toyota's, Nissan's, Honda's, Hyundai's, Lincoln's, Mazda's and Ford's, with a straight face, and come up lacking in so many areas that, even when I insist that we talk about ANYTHING else, we just can't move on.

Back to the positive...

21. I love that the clock automatically adjusts itself based on the satellite radio signal.
22. When the AMI or Bluetooth is used with an iPhone (and most likely other devices), a telephone call automatically pauses music or podcast playback, and continues it once the call is over.
23. I've loved this ever since my first A6, but being able to open/close windows, moonroof(s) and sunshades with one tap, instead of holding a button in place is so elegant.
24. I love the hearty grunt that happens when you tap the "Engine START" button without your foot on the brake after entering the car. It feels like you've awakened a 15 MW beast. It just...SOUNDS...substantial. PUTHWUMP! You almost expect the street lights to go dim because you've sucked all the power out of the grid.
25. Along the same lines, I love how seamlessly everything continues with ignition on/off. Radio continues unabated. Telephone calls are uninterrupted. There's no glitch. Elegant.
26. A coworker pointed out that the way the headlights light up, along with the puddle lights in the door handles at night is impressive. Even better, after 60 seconds, everything relocks if you haven't entered the car. This means that, once you've seen the little flashing red security indicator on the driver's door, you no longer need to second guess yourself whether the car is locked. It is, until you touch a handle or open the trunk. Even if you accidentally press unlock, it will relock in 60 seconds.
27. Ruby/polar interior ambient lighting. Simply gorgeous. I set the footwells (front and rear) to full bright, with the top rings (front and bright) at 3 clicks above off. It helps your eyes focus more quickly at night, when you're transitioning from looking down the street to looking at something inside the car. It's also quite glamorous for your passengers, but never enough light to distract the driver.
28. The MMI telephone conference display. It shows the name and number of both parties, and if you're using a GSM-based iPhone, you can quickly swap between parties, hold, conference, break conference. Very elegant.
29. When you're dialing from your telephone's phone book on the steering wheel, scrolling quickly will let you jump through with only the last name shown. Hard to describe, but I have a few thousand entries and it works beautifully.
30. The way the DIS shows you when you're estimated to arrive and the distance to the next turn or action. Absurdly elegant.
31. The side assist LED's can't be seen by your passengers unless they're trying hard. I adore this feature. Don't depend on it to always spot passing cars, but it affords such a feeling of awareness. I love how it shows cars that are "coming up" on me.
32. The rear pre-sense feature tightens the brakes, steering and seat belt noticeably when someone is too close to your rear. They may not be a threat, but this is a silent signal that someone's on my bumper. Similarly, if you set Brake Assist to be at its most aggressive, it becomes a warning that you may have missed something. We all get distracted at times, and you can't count on such systems, but I love knowing that it's there.
33. Even if I'm not using the ACC (adaptive cruise control), I try to keep it on in all but the worst stop-and-go traffic. It tends to catch events that I would not want to miss. Example: A car swerved in front of me to avoid hitting a bicyclist, but also came to a full stop after entering my lane. I reacted, but the car had already started chiming, the brakes were pre-pumped and the car had already begun to do a maximum brake a good quarter second before my foot was on the pedal. Avoiding accidents is all about reaction time. I don't think I would've hit anyone, but ACC and the other systems bought me a good 15 feet of stopping distance. That could easily have been the difference between PHEW! and BAM! I wish I could leave it on all the time, just for that kind of preventive capability.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Not to rain on your parade, but...

How about:
Trunk size is abysmal.

B pillar is too thick, and rear headrests either too large or won't flop down, all contributing to limited rearward view.

Relentless brake dust from forward brake pads.

It would be better if there was an option to program MMI display from popping up every time the car is started, except if engaging Reverse.

Hesitation upon acceleration.

Many complaints about poor detents in shift lever.

Now, don't get me wrong, I enjoy my A8 immensely, and am convinced it is easily the best car I've ever owned and will undoubtedly remain in the Audi family well into the future. But it could be better...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you are clearly smitten. Enjoy your car, and I really enjoyed and appreciate the time and feeling you put into your posts.

Best,

Last edited by doctorharrison; 02-04-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doctorharrison

How about:
Trunk size is abysmal.

B pillar is too thick, and rear headrests either too large or won't flop down, all contributing to limited rearward view.

It would be better if there was an option to program MMI display from popping up every time the car is started, except if engaging Reverse.

Ditto to all!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by doctorharrison

How about:
Trunk size is abysmal.

Now, don't get me wrong, I enjoy my A8 immensely, and am convinced it is easily the best car I've ever owned and will undoubtedly remain in the Audi family well into the future. But it could be better...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you are clearly smitten. Enjoy your car, and I really enjoyed and appreciate the time and feeling you put into your posts.

Best,
Please don't misunderstand my stance. Have a look at my other posts, and all the problems I've had with my Audi's. I love discussing the good things about being an Audi owner, as well as the perils of owning such notoriously fragile and unreliable mechanisms.

By discussing both good and bad, I hope to increase everyone's enjoyment.

I agree that the trunk volume is disappointing. The A6 is incredible in this regard. Lots of space, with a 60/40 split for the rear seat. Yet, an A8 with long wheel base is tiny by comparison? I'm not sure where the space went.

I seldom look out the rear window. If someone's sitting there, you certainly wouldn't ask them to bow their heads so you can have a look. Isn't that what the rear camera is for?

The brake dust is bad, but you can speak to your dealer about having ceramic pads installed. Or, just spritz the wheels with water once a week. I'll take great braking performance over a bit of dust anytime!

I hear there's an upcoming software update that will cause the MMI to stay in place. I don't know if it will be provided to current owners, but I wholeheartedly agree that it's annoying. I also worry about how many tmes the MMI display will slide up/down before failing.

Audi went overboard after their "sudden acceleration" incident on 60 Minutes. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_...d_acceleration . Once bitten (on the Audi 5000); twice shy. If you're cleanly off the brakes before trying to accelerate, the "cautious" acceleration shouldn't happen.

All of this is why I participate on AudiWorld. Let's get Audi to make the D5 A8 a car that does not have these issues. In the meantime, I intend to enjoy interacting with great fellow Audi drivers like yourself, and enjoy all the wonderful things about my current A8 while drooling over the thought of a D5 S8 a few years from now.

Quick Reply: 22-Way Seats and Other Audi Tips and Tricks