A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 S8 new owner!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 S8 new owner!

Hi all - picking up my first Audi this coming weekend. Very excited. I had a couple of questions that I haven’t been able to find particular answers for:

1) Screen upgrade
The ONLY thing I don’t love about it, is the outdated MMI screen. I’ve been scouring websites, review boards, forums, etc.
the RSNAV is nice, as is the Hualingan, but I have yet to see any videos/reviews of someone who is not advertising the product. CarPlay and an updated/higher res screen are what I am looking for.
Is there any way to tell what MMI version the car has without going to the settings?

2) Warranty
I’ve been quoted for about $5k for an extended warranty through GWC. I’ve read horror stories about every aftermarket warranty company. Any thoughts on whether they actual come through? I’ve done the due diligence on ensuring regular maintenance and recall have happened on the car. The turbo issue was done, and they are warrantied for 10yrs, 120k, so not much issue there. Is the consensus to have the piece of mind? The cost isn’t a major factor for me, but I don’t like paying for something if any time a situation happens they aren’t going to cover it.

Thanks and looking forward to getting into this super car ASAP.
The following users liked this post:
dxviddc (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Welcome.

I would search here on your question about videos for starters. Just point Google at the site by adding "site:audiworld.com" to end of your search string.

Your point or rather assumption on the turbo warranty coverage doesn't really make sense. I own a 2015 S8. It was first delivered in August 2014, and delivery date is the relevant measurement date. I have 65K miles. Thus warranty clocks out on earlier of two, which means August 2024. That is only 4 months from now. More generally, in making your warranty or other decisions, really it now is essentially a ten year old car. On substance of your question, I don't really think people know. I had mine done in recent months...with end of extended warranty coming up. Nothing special reported, but then I also know from paperwork turbos were NOT replaced. Presumably they decided they were in spec, but if they still blow up in September of this year, that becomes my problem/cost. I also know I did oil changes every 5-7.5K miles. That varies car by car, as well as actual type of oil used--the USA baseline oil spec of 502/505 I view as pretty obsolete. My net is I am not worried particularly, but it interacts with all of my knowledge of my own car, how I serviced it, what I think about underlying original issue, how I drive it, and so on. I can't make categorical statements.

In doing the turbo screens I also got them to do the extended warranty on the PCV valve/oil separator. Involves a lot of overlapping work with turbo screens. If not done yet, that it is a bunch of parts and a bunch of hours. My sense for any 4.0T is it is a "when not if" repair over time. There is also the plastic coolant fitting up front. Seach on my post on that.

Car is great overall and repair level fairly modest as complex and very powerful cars go. But, not trouble free. If you do not wrench, then yes factor in the price of a good comprehensive warranty if available.

Old 04-24-2024, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Welcome.

I would search here on your question about videos for starters. Just point Google at the site by adding "site:audiworld.com" to end of your search string.

Your point or rather assumption on the turbo warranty coverage doesn't really make sense. I own a 2015 S8. It was first delivered in August 2014, and delivery date is the relevant measurement date. I have 65K miles. Thus warranty clocks out on earlier of two, which means August 2024. That is only 4 months from now. More generally, in making your warranty or other decisions, really it now is essentially a ten year old car. On substance of your question, I don't really think people know. I had mine done in recent months...with end of extended warranty coming up. Nothing special reported, but then I also know from paperwork turbos were NOT replaced. Presumably they decided they were in spec, but if they still blow up in September of this year, that becomes my problem/cost. I also know I did oil changes every 5-7.5K miles. That varies car by car, as well as actual type of oil used--the USA baseline oil spec of 502/505 I view as pretty obsolete. My net is I am not worried particularly, but it interacts with all of my knowledge of my own car, how I serviced it, what I think about underlying original issue, how I drive it, and so on. I can't make categorical statements.

In doing the turbo screens I also got them to do the extended warranty on the PCV valve/oil separator. Involves a lot of overlapping work with turbo screens. If not done yet, that it is a bunch of parts and a bunch of hours. My sense for any 4.0T is it is a "when not if" repair over time. There is also the plastic coolant fitting up front. Seach on my post on that.

Car is great overall and repair level fairly modest as complex and very powerful cars go. But, not trouble free. If you do not wrench, then yes factor in the price of a good comprehensive warranty if available.

Thanks for the feedback! The dealer who I talked to that serviced the car most recently, and frequently, made it seem as if the extension of warranty on the turbo/screens/filter was for another 10 yrs. I will have to confirm that, but she was reluctant to provide any paperwork/further details since I am not the current owner of the vehicle.

I think the $4k over 4 yrs is a number I am ok with eating if NOTHING goes wrong, but will be upset if something goes wrong and it’s not covered under GWC ‘bumper to bumper’ coverage. Most of the complaints I’ve seen on extended warranty companies, in general, is that what they say is covered, is not always covered.

I also know I’m getting into a 9 year old, $100k+ sticker price car and that the cost of maintaining it will not be similar to my current Jeep Wrangler, or any of the other cars I’ve owned.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Scozz
Thanks for the feedback! The dealer who I talked to that serviced the car most recently, and frequently, made it seem as if the extension of warranty on the turbo/screens/filter was for another 10 yrs. I will have to confirm that, but she was reluctant to provide any paperwork/further details since I am not the current owner of the vehicle.

I think the $4k over 4 yrs is a number I am ok with eating if NOTHING goes wrong, but will be upset if something goes wrong and it’s not covered under GWC ‘bumper to bumper’ coverage. Most of the complaints I’ve seen on extended warranty companies, in general, is that what they say is covered, is not always covered.

I also know I’m getting into a 9 year old, $100k+ sticker price car and that the cost of maintaining it will not be similar to my current Jeep Wrangler, or any of the other cars I’ve owned.

The extended warranty on turbos, the PCV and other things runs from new car sale in service date and 0 miles. Re-sales in between are irrelevant. Same as other typical manufacturers' warranties, just extended, And no special "added" warranty for work itself beyond if it breaks again WITHIN the 10/120. Again, just search for the letters sent to owners. Scanned in and posted here IIRC. Same set up for any 4.0T, including the A8's, the S7's and the S6's of same era. Add "type: pdf" (no space--AW turns it into an emoji if I leave out that space after the colon) to help web searches on things you know should be a document.

Warranty term I am familiar with is exclusionary. The one you want. That is, it's covered unless it is on a typically short "excluded" list--accident damage, trim, battery, consumables, routine service and wear items, etc. How they define wear for mechanical parts is typically important too, especially in areas like suspension. The one you do NOT want is the 952 parts covered (and the Ginsu knife set). The mile long feel good list, but of course you have to read it hyper carefully and figure out what is NOT listed, how their often USA centric terminology sorts to way Audi names things, etc. Exclusionary ones are sometimes called terms like "Platinum" level. As a car gets older, they may not be available and then you get the long list type that has to be carefully sorted and where wear definition may not be the same either. Other advice if you have any Audi service connection is informally ask a veteran service advisor (writer)--which common outside warranty companies do they typically work with for claims and any winners, losers or issues to watch out for.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-24-2024 at 09:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dxviddc (04-24-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts

post pics!
Old 04-25-2024, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Scozz
Hi all - picking up my first Audi this coming weekend. Very excited. I had a couple of questions that I haven’t been able to find particular answers for:

1) Screen upgrade
The ONLY thing I don’t love about it, is the outdated MMI screen. I’ve been scouring websites, review boards, forums, etc.
the RSNAV is nice, as is the Hualingan, but I have yet to see any videos/reviews of someone who is not advertising the product. CarPlay and an updated/higher res screen are what I am looking for.
Is there any way to tell what MMI version the car has without going to the settings?

2) Warranty
I’ve been quoted for about $5k for an extended warranty through GWC. I’ve read horror stories about every aftermarket warranty company. Any thoughts on whether they actual come through? I’ve done the due diligence on ensuring regular maintenance and recall have happened on the car. The turbo issue was done, and they are warrantied for 10yrs, 120k, so not much issue there. Is the consensus to have the piece of mind? The cost isn’t a major factor for me, but I don’t like paying for something if any time a situation happens they aren’t going to cover it.

Thanks and looking forward to getting into this super car ASAP.
You are right to be excited about your incoming S8; it’s such a satisfying ride. Deeply satisfying. I will be interested to hear what you finally decide about a warranty because I have recently revised and extended my ownership horizon for my S8. When I bought mine , I figured I would own it for about ten years, or so. But now I’m thinking in terms of keeping it for an extra ten years, or, in other words ,for the rest of my life. This thinking is based in large extent upon a complete disinterest in any new vehicle on the market when compared to my S8. My thinking was tending that way for a while, but it was hammered home a few months ago when I purchased a 2024 Porsche Cayenne S primary for my wife. An option I had considered was my taking over the Cayenne for myself in five or six years and parting with my S8. But as good as the Cayenne is, I don’t think I’ll go that route. A funny thing, I completed a J D Power survey for the new Cayenne, and it’s a long survey, and every one of my answers was very positive; but there was something wrong about that vehicle—it had no “soul.” My other cars pull me to them, but the Cayenne doesn’t. Each and every time I approach my S8, it brings a smile to my face.

So I think I’ll ride the S8 as long as I can. I only have about 56,000 miles on it, and I spread my driving over a couple of 911’s, so I only add six or seven thousand miles a year to it. Now, my 911’s are old, one is 39 years old, the other is 13 years old, but I take care of them and they have been unbelievably reliable, and I’m confident they will hold up to the end just fine. As to the prospects for the S8, it’s well maintained and from years of learning from these forums, I expect a manageable level of reliability, and the odds are that I will not bother with an extended warranty. As my personal fleet ages, I’ll keep a relatively new vehicle for my wife that can be used for over the road trips if need be.

Scozz, I hope you enjoy your new S8 as much as I have enjoyed mine! Mike

Last edited by Mike911A8; 04-25-2024 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 377 Likes on 270 Posts

I'm not a fan of extended warranties. Too expensive and too many examples of people being deeply disappointed by lack of coverage and/or flat out misrepresentation of coverage. In my case, I'd pocket the money that would be used for the extended warranty. Keep it aside in a "automobile fund" if need be. Whenever there's a problem with your car, pull from the fund. I'll bet, on average, you'll still have money in the "fund" after the warranty term would have run out. Sure, you could be one of the unlucky ones with some catastrophic failure but that's doubtful.

When do we get to see some pictures?!
Old 04-25-2024, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't comment on warranties (never had one) but I will give you the vote of confidence on the hualingan mmi/screen update for D4. I did this upgrade on my personal car 2 years ago and also for friends cars. Good results overall (a couple very small bugs but by far WELL worth the benefits). I can help guide you to the reliable source I used via Alibaba and get it for under $500 rather than ~$900 on ebay or via US sellers if you want.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
You are right to be excited about your incoming S8; it’s such a satisfying ride. Deeply satisfying. I will be interested to hear what you finally decide about a warranty because I have recently revised and extended my ownership horizon for my S8. When I bought mine , I figured I would own it for about ten years, or so. But now I’m thinking in terms of keeping it for an extra ten years, or, in other words ,for the rest of my life. This thinking is based in large extent upon a complete disinterest in any new vehicle on the market when compared to my S8. My thinking was tending that way for a while, but it was hammered home a few months ago when I purchased a 2024 Porsche Cayenne S primary for my wife. An option I had considered was my taking over the Cayenne for myself in five or six years and parting with my S8. But as good as the Cayenne is, I don’t think I’ll go that route. A funny thing, I completed a J D Power survey for the new Cayenne, and it’s a long survey, and every one of my answers was very positive; but there was something wrong about that vehicle—it had no “soul.” My other cars pull me to them, but the Cayenne doesn’t. Each and every time I approach my S8, it brings a smile to my face.

So I think I’ll ride the S8 as long as I can. I only have about 56,000 miles on it, and I spread my driving over a couple of 911’s, so I only add six or seven thousand miles a year to it. Now, my 911’s are old, one is 39 years old, the other is 13 years old, but I take care of them and they have been unbelievably reliable, and I’m confident they will hold up to the end just fine. As to the prospects for the S8, it’s well maintained and from years of learning from these forums, I expect a manageable level of reliability, and the odds are that I will not bother with an extended warranty. As my personal fleet ages, I’ll keep a relatively new vehicle for my wife that can be used for over the road trips if need be.

Scozz, I hope you enjoy your new S8 as much as I have enjoyed mine! Mike
Going to dealer in a couple hours here. I think i've decided to add the warranty for a simple piece of mind. Like I stated before, the cost isn't CRAZY, and the details around GWC coverage seem all over the place (like any non-Audi extended warranty, from my personal research). The used dealer I'm buying it from has a full shop, and they obviously accept the warranty, as does another used lot a bit closer to me.

Will post pics when she's home. I can't f'in wait.

Old 04-26-2024, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DallasDave
I'm not a fan of extended warranties. Too expensive and too many examples of people being deeply disappointed by lack of coverage and/or flat out misrepresentation of coverage. In my case, I'd pocket the money that would be used for the extended warranty. Keep it aside in a "automobile fund" if need be. Whenever there's a problem with your car, pull from the fund. I'll bet, on average, you'll still have money in the "fund" after the warranty term would have run out. Sure, you could be one of the unlucky ones with some catastrophic failure but that's doubtful.

When do we get to see some pictures?!
It's $4500 for 4 years, so that could easily be one fix.

I'm biting the bullet and will post any success/horror stories IF they arise. Hopefully clean driving, good maintenance, and some positive vibes will keep me out of the repair shops.

Quick Reply: 2015 S8 new owner!