A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 A8-S8 Reveal Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default 2015 A8-S8 Reveal Video

Here's what they released this morning....

According to MOTOR AUTHORITY: Audi’s A8 flagship sedan has been refreshed for the 2015 model year and now boasts engines that are even more powerful and efficient, a bevy of new assistance systems and in certain markets innovative Matrix LED headlights with integrated sequential turn signals. The updates are crucial in light of the arrival of a brand new S-Class and a recently updated BMW 7-Series, and should keep the A8 fresh until a successor arrives around 2016.

Designers have tweaked the exterior styling, though you'd have to be an Audi die-hard to spot the changes. The patterns in the lights are new and the grille and lower bumper more sculpted. At the rear, the lights have been made flatter and all models, except the S8, now have square-shaped exhaust tips.

The Matrix LED tech debuting on the 2015 A8 will allow drivers to leave the high-beam permanently on. The lights use an array of individually controlled LEDs that can automatically split a beam to block out sections that may blind other motorists.

The sequential turn signal, meanwhile, uses individual LEDs that illuminate in a defined sequence in the direction that the driver wishes to take. Unfortunately, U.S. regulations are likely to rule out these features for locally delivered cars.

As for the powertrain lineup, the 3.0-liter V-6 TFSI now rates at 310 horsepower while the 4.0-liter V-8 TFSI rates at 435 horsepower. The 6.3-liter W-12 still makes do with 500 horsepower. Also unchanged is the output of the S8’s 4.0-liter V-8, which remains at 520 horsepower. Specifications and availability of other models, such as the 3.0-liter TDI diesel and A8 Hybrid, will be announced later. Overseas, these models deliver 258 horsepower and 245 horsepower, respectively.

For the interior, Audi now offers more options including ventilation and massage functions on more models. Electrically adjustable, individual rear seats are also available as an option across the range. Otherwise, things inside haven’t changed much.

A8 owners are still coddled in the finest leather and wood trim, and they still have access to all of the car’s various electronic features via the MMI navigation plus interface.
What is new are some of the electronic assistance systems. These include lane assist, parking assist, a head-up display and a night vision assist that can recognize both animals and pedestrians. Though it hasn’t been announced yet, expect the range to offer full 4G LTE high-speed broadband support.

The 2015 Audi A8 range makes its official world debut at the 2013 Frankfurt Auto Show on September 10 and should land in showrooms next spring.

Also some photos...
Attached Images     

Last edited by derfA8L; 08-21-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks very nice. I see what awaits me next. Thnx for sharing.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well W12 is off the table for me now. Shame...
Old 08-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raw footage of the new S8. Shows off the new headlight and night vision tech towards the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_uK..._embedded#t=13
Old 08-21-2013, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
Raw footage of the new S8. Shows off the new headlight and night vision tech towards the end
This S8 is sweeeeeettt!!!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The night vision in the raw driving video picked up the animal a lot quicker than it did for the human. The alarm for the human came on way late in my opinion, but could that be because of the clothing he/she was wearing?

I have an A7 on order and I didn't opt for the night vision. I thought is was kind of gimmicky as well as pricy, and I think the functionally is scaled back significantly than the european models?
Old 08-21-2013, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here's some summary information that I have about the new car ....

Engine changes
The table below shows the engines that will be available for the A8 PI compared with the current model. All engines come with an eight-speed tiptronic gearbox.
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2013, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Exterior design changes
• New bonnet with two seam lines
• Larger single-frame grille with more pronounced bevels in top corners
• Black gloss window trims under aluminium surrounds (to reduce visible rubber portion)
• New front light design
• Air inlet surrounds in chrome
• Increased chrome portions on door handles
• New-look tail pipes integrated into the rear bumper (similar to those previously on W12)
• Boot capacity increases by 10 litres
• Five new exterior colours
• Two new interior colours

Public unveiling 2013 Frankfurt motor show (10 September)
Pricing and specification guide October 2013
Open for ordering October 2013
Start of production (free specification) November 2013 (build week 45)
First customer deliveries January 2014

Most engines will begin production in build week 45 2013 (week beginning 4 November). A8 hybrid production won’t start until December 2013; W12 will follow in February 2014.

Full technical details for the new engines will be published in the pricing and specification guides later in 2013.

New options and technologies
The following new options will be available to order from the product improvement:

MatrixBeam: new
MatrixBeam headlights consist of 25 individual light-emitting diodes (LEDs) per unit, which can be switched on and off or individually dimmed depending on the situation. This new, quick-to-react headlight allows a driver to maintain full beam at all times, but digitally adjust the lighting by switching off individual diodes to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic. Dynamic ‘sweeping’ indicators for both front and rear –previously seen only on the R8 – are included with this option.

Head-up display: new
Previously seen in the A6 and A7 ranges, head-up display allows a driver to project information such as navigation instructions and speed limits onto the windscreen into the driver’s direct field of vision.

Park Assist with 360-degree display: new
Using ultrasound sensors, the Park Assist system searches for suitable parking spaces and performs the steering action virtually automatically. The 360-degree display provides warnings of potential hazards at the sides depending on the steering angle, helping the driver to move in and out of spaces safely.

Active Lane Assist: updated
This updated system actively corrects steering when it senses the vehicle straying across the lane. Using the MMI system the driver can select from two settings:
• Early steering intervention: continual steering intervention towards the centre of the lane
• Late steering intervention: corrective steering intervention shortly before crossing the lane
Active Lane Assist and Side Assist: updated
The combination of both systems allows the vehicle to try and prevent the driver changing lanes if there is a car in their blind spot.

Night vision with animal recognition: updated
This additional functionality can detect larger animals on the road. When a potential hazard is detected, the system aims to shorten stopping distances by preparing the car to brake to help avoid an impact.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just to add, the info I posted is more UK centric as far as I know.

It's interesting to note that there's a lot of information still not available. I'm guessing more will be released closer to the sept 10 unveil at Frankfurt.

I'm interested to see:

- the revised boot/trunk layout
- the additional interior/exterior colours
- the additional wheel options
- updates to the MMI system
- HUD
- How the car handles with the change to electric steering (I'm assuming this is a huge change)
- Whether the updated 4.2 TDI is identical to the porsche cayenne S diesel engine (revised innards to make it more powerful and efficient and to get a nice deep V8 below)
- What the revised economy/emissions figures are for all the cars to make them euro 6 compliant

I've also asked questions about the 4G stuff which is going into production in the new S3 in a month or two. You can no longer (in european markets) use RSAP, and have to use a SIM card in the glove box for 4G. My question has been "what about using just bluetooth when you have the glass that limits the signals for phones?". After all, the signal is aweful for phones, hence the use of RSAP or a cradle. I wouldn't want to use a data plan SIM and use it for phone calls too. Anyway, that'll come out soon enough I think.

It also looks like the rumoured 4.0 TDI V8 (~400PS) will appear in a couple of years (maybe the new Q7 or the D5 I'm speculating).

Meanwhile, once they've updated the software over at Audi City in London, I can go see a lot this in the virtual world.

Lastly (sorry for the long posts), here's a link to the public documentation published by the Audi Media centre

https://www.audi-mediaservices.com/p...d-1/index.html
Old 08-22-2013, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jetinder
Exterior design changes
• New-look tail pipes integrated into the rear bumper (similar to those previously on W12)
Where did you get this information from. If I am no tmistaking this is still just a W12 thing.

Quick Reply: 2015 A8-S8 Reveal Video