A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 A8L Off Idle Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Barmats
My dealer says there's no fix for this, and maintains the lag is normal and by design - it's intended to reduce the huge power of the engine so throttle tip-in isn't overpowering. This is a load of crap. This lag nearly resulted in me being t-boned recently, and is more than just a nuisance.

Do you have a TSB number or any specific information about the update you received?
Talked to my service advisor this morning about the update. He said the transmission update is part of Quality Package Update 19J1. The transmission part is Criteria 2. Hope this helps.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Updated this and other issues.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2#post24511492
Old 11-22-2013, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Barmats
My dealer says there's no fix for this, and maintains the lag is normal and by design - it's intended to reduce the huge power of the engine so throttle tip-in isn't overpowering. This is a load of crap. This lag nearly resulted in me being t-boned recently, and is more than just a nuisance.

Do you have a TSB number or any specific information about the update you received?
My dealer told me the exact same thing when I had my '13 4.0 A8L, but the hesitation is almost non-existant in my '14 S8. This really does not relate to the '12 model with the 4.2 engine if, in fact, there is a TSB to fix it.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knox379
Talked to my service advisor this morning about the update. He said the transmission update is part of Quality Package Update 19J1. The transmission part is Criteria 2. Hope this helps.
Thanks very much. I will reference this when the car goes in for its 15k service.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Are these in models with turbo only?
Old 05-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by showtime1k
Are these in models with turbo only?
Yes. I had the 2012 4.2 non-turbo and had zero lag or hesitation issues.

I had the updates applied a couple of months ago, and while it's marginally better, I can tell you that the problem still remains. The dealer took it for a test drive and said everything was normal. I suppose it is normal if you're used to waiting a couple of seconds after pressing down on the throttle for something to actually happen. Frustrating, but I suppose there are worse things than this. I'm not holding out any hope that this can ever be fixed.

The only other vehicle brand I've experienced this in was BMW (335i and X6), and it was easily resolved and completely eliminated by a software update.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That's not part of the turbo? I've had turbos before that would lag. It would take a sec for the turbo to get up to speed. A super chargers powered, wouldn't have that problem.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by showtime1k
That's not part of the turbo? I've had turbos before that would lag. It would take a sec for the turbo to get up to speed. A super chargers powered, wouldn't have that problem.
No, this is not turbo lag. It is throttle lag right off the line from a dead stop. Zero response when the gas pedal is depressed. With turbo lag you would still have normally aspirated engine response before boost but this is not at all what's happening here.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Just as a reference point---I took a 2014 A8L 4.0T out for a test drive a couple of weeks ago, and there was absolutely no lag in throttle response...Accelerator pedal response was immediate at all the various speeds I tried it (since I was looking for any lag from turbos and/or throttle input). I was surprised at how immediate the engine/transmission response was to any input I gave the car.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
I was surprised at how immediate the engine/transmission response was to any input I gave the car.
Thanks for the information - will likely go for a test drive myself soon.
This is precisely why I avoided the first MY of the new engine.

Quick Reply: 2013 A8L Off Idle Hesitation