A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'12 A8L, making 'whoop' noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too! Please let us know.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went in for my service at around 40k, after a 9k road trip. The whoop noise was much more noticeable/frequent during the four-week trip duration. Asked the service manager about it. He was not able to give me an answer or know of a tech. bulletin.

Still waiting for input from original poster.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

My dealer also didn't have any info on the propeller shaft resolution told to the OP.

After searching the TSB system, my dealer pulled a bulletin which detailed how (and I'm paraphrasing here) the whoop sound is caused by small air bubbles forming in the air suspension's hydraulic oil after the car has been driven for an extended period and then left to cool off overnight. The next day the bubbles in the oil cause the air springs to make the noise as the suspension is compressed due to road bumps until the oil heats up and the bubbles dissolve. The TSB states that there is no further diagnostic/fix for this. Don't know the date for this bulletin, so it could have been superseded by a more recent TSB, which they didn't see.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Kind of unnerving that there seem to be several issues that just go unresolved through out the message board. Have they outsmarted themselves or is the fix too expensive....hmmm, I get the same thing on the throttle issue.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
My dealer also didn't have any info on the propeller shaft resolution told to the OP.

After searching the TSB system, my dealer pulled a bulletin which detailed how (and I'm paraphrasing here) the whoop sound is caused by small air bubbles forming in the air suspension's hydraulic oil after the car has been driven for an extended period and then left to cool off overnight. The next day the bubbles in the oil cause the air springs to make the noise as the suspension is compressed due to road bumps until the oil heats up and the bubbles dissolve. The TSB states that there is no further diagnostic/fix for this. Don't know the date for this bulletin, so it could have been superseded by a more recent TSB, which they didn't see.
Thanks Derf. This seems to reflect my situation during the road trip. We were routinely driving 5-7 hundred miles a day and then parked outdoors in late September weather. Will try to note the pattern as you described.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Angry

UPDATE:

Well it's been a few weeks now since the 'fix'...and the whoop is back.

Drove yesterday, 5.5 hours all highway, and heard it 6-7 times. It's obviously not fixed. Also don't believe the statement in that TSB about driving first thing and making the noise, as this was heard after 2 hours on the road, hitting an off-ramp at 60mph and the fluid had to be up to temp by then. Even had a few stop/go moments on the road, so it was not an all out highway romp.

Not planning to have dealer touch it until they have something firm in hand indicating a fix. This seems to be suspension related, as it is most noticeable when going over dips in the road.

Very frustrating. Lived with clunking shift problem in '06 A8L that took over two years to find a fix (mechatronic unit), and now with '12 having this go on for months on end - you just wonder what the problem is that Audi can't resolve these annoyances.

Yes, cars are well built, solid, fun to drive, feature rich, but there should not be unresolved issues like these when they impact the driving experience, and for many owners, not just one.

Bummed. When it's time to replace this vehicle, I don't see another Audi in our driveway.

Last edited by Eric (Plug Guy); 10-06-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Was asked to drop car off for the district service guy to review today.

-they have ruled a lot of things out
-it made the noise one time
-they lowered the tire pressure on all four (was higher than recommended, but was where they left it when they installed the tires a few weeks ago)
-they made calls to Audi Tech Line
-they believe there is nothing mechanically wrong (heard this before)
-they reviewed published and unpublished (?) TSB information, nothing found
-indicated if the air suspension was faulty it would show on the tester, or if there was a leak it would be evident
-checked front to back on the underside, suspension, transmission, all in good order
-checked door seals to eliminate possibility of body flex causing this (it's not)

District guy says no other reports in his region.

So...if you are having this problem, please be sure to report it to your dealer's service manager.

My dealer is doing all they can. The issue for us is this annoyance mimics what we lived with for two years on the '06 mechatronic failure (thunking/jerking when going into 2nd gear), and it took years to resolve, with a trans replacement, but returned months later.....NOW we have another annoyance with the '12, and again there is no answer/no resolution.

Sure, it's a great car, but this just blows.

Anyway, if there's more to the story, I'll report back. If you report to your dealer with this issue, please reach out to me via email as I'd like to keep a record in my own books: eric@bumperplugs.com Let me know year/model and if you have 19's or 20's (wheels).

Many thanks.

Last edited by Eric (Plug Guy); 10-18-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
District guy says no other reports in his region.
Anyway, if there's more to the story, I'll report back. If you report to your dealer with this issue, please reach out to me via email as I'd like to keep a record in my own books: eric@bumperplugs.com Let me know year/model and if you have 19's or 20's (wheels).

Many thanks.
----------
Thanks. Will do.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)

Many thanks.
Might want to track mileage also. Might find a trend starting at a certain mile mark.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Updated this and other issues:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2#post24511492

Quick Reply: '12 A8L, making 'whoop' noise